Confirmed with Link: Capitals name Todd Reirden head coach

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Todd has done great things helping to develop Dmen, including young guys Schmidt, Orlov and Djoos. But don’t make the assumption he’s going to play young guys when he has a choice (he still chose Jerebek over Djoos to start the playoffs, just like Shattenkirk over Schmidt, and at times Weber over Schmidt too).

Puts in context the times last year Trotz hinted at Schmidt in over Orpik and then no change happening - seems Reirden was the reason.

Holy cow this must shake the core of Trotz haters who swear up and down he refuses to play the youth.

Turns out it’s the guy who is staying, not the one that was just celebrated for leaving.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Holy cow this must shake the core of Trotz haters who swear up and down he refuses to play the youth.

Turns out it’s the guy who is staying, not the one that was just celebrated for leaving.
I may be naive, but I would give credit to the head coach on having the last say on who is scratched and who is in the lineup.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So he was a lame duck against Pittsburgh in the playoff last season?

I look at it this way. Smart leaders defer to SMEs in the right scenarios. Reirden likely felt strongly and Barry listened to his advice. Who knows how long Reirden was pulling the strings on D behind the scenes?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
You’re either saying he’s a liar or that you believe him...:).
I truly just don't know who he is or how credible his claims are. I've seen his name pop up on twitter before here and there but genuinely don't know if he had that kind of relationship with Trotz that Trotz would flat out throw Reirden under the bus like that

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I heard the guys on 106.7 suggesting he just needs to shave his head. No he does not!

He does need to upgrade his FINALS coat though. I live in fear something I ordered was a surplus Finals product.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
There’s a whole WP article on Trotz considering keeping Schmidt in the lineup, as Shattenkirk returned. Spoiler: he didn’t.

Kevin Shattenkirk back and Nate Schmidt shining, what happens to Brooks Orpik now?

Neither one of them got it right. The correct lineup would have been Schmidt and Orpik playing and ShatDeuces on the bench. But big trades are big trades so that wasn't going to happen.

Regardless of what happened last year, this year it seems they made virtually every playoff playing time decision correctly. Results are in, it all worked.

Reactions: calicapsfan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah he is ready to talk hockey. I had to eventually tap out. Specifically all the nuances of the coaching side of game.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Don’t get me wrong I’m rooting for the guy, and see a lot of potential in him. I just won’t be all that surprised if next season we see guys like Vrana and Burky get scratched, Djoos or Bowery get benched for a TDL rental, or vet players get inexplicably high ice-time. Nothing so far suggests Todd’s philosophy is wildly different than many of the decisions that the coaching staff have taken in recent years, for better or worse.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Not saying that Frankovic is a liar, but there hasn't been any other source saying these claims are 100% accurate correct?

Ed seems well respected amongst the best reporters, hosts and analysts covering the Caps, and evidently had a lot of knowledge and experience from years covering the team (and working for them in the 90s). I don’t always agree with his analysis, but I’ve no reason to doubt or question his reporting here.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
All I know is that if what a couple different people have said about them playing Reirdens system after game 2 is true then I don't care about what happened last year in the Pittsburgh series. Sounds like the players freaking love him and if the first part is true then I'm sold.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Not sure why last year against Pittsburgh matters. I mean, maybe it affected the series and maybe it didn't.

Orpik was a rock this year, the Caps won the Cup, meanwhile Alzner flatlined in Montreal.

All I want to see from Reirden is the ability to maintain the Caps' compete level, which was Trotz's greatest contribution to the squad.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Not sure why last year against Pittsburgh matters. I mean, maybe it affected the series and maybe it didn't.

Orpik was a rock this year, the Caps won the Cup, meanwhile Alzner flatlined in Montreal.

All I want to see from Reirden is the ability to maintain the Caps' compete level, which was Trotz's greatest contribution to the squad.
I honestly feel like them learning how to win this year will help with that. They don't have the monkey on their back anymore and they figured out what it takes to win a Cup. There's a reason cup winning vets are sought after by teams in free agency. We've got almost a full lineup of them coming back. :) The younger guys who might take on vital roles this year were along for the ride too, went through the practices and saw what it takes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->