Confirmed with Link: Capitals name Todd Reirden head coach

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don't think that was it. Reirden was the guy BMac wanted all along.

You know what the headline is going to be if this backfires.

I don't mean to throw Reirden under the bus by the way. Just saying that this is awful lot of pressure to start your career as an NHL head coach. Everyone in the media will beat the drums that Capitals got cheap with Trotz and settled with Reirden.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Tough spot for Reirden I guess but perhaps a different voice will be a good thing for motivation coming off a Cup. Hard to say since this doesn't happen often. All in all he seems quite qualified and is well respected by the players. If they struggle this year I don't think it'll be because of him.

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
Tough spot for Reirden I guess but perhaps a different voice will be a good thing for motivation coming off a Cup. Hard to say since this doesn't happen often. All in all he seems quite qualified and is well respected by the players. If they struggle this year I don't think it'll be because of him.

Tough spot? The Caps could play patty cakes on the ice next year and I’d give them a standing ovation...

Last edited:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It was always Trotz for big money/term vs. Reirden for less money.

I hope this decision doesn't come back to bite them.
I'm sure this decision was made long ago. The Caps had no intentions in bringing Trotz back.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's also nice that our shiny new coach saw what was needed to win the cup first hand. And may have had a HUGE hand in it. Either way, he knows and is ready for his next test.

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Congrats to Reirden. Definitely my pick. Looking at the dmen in the pipeline I have to think this hire is a plus. Will be interesting to see how he handles breaking in the young forwards.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe

Todd has done great things helping to develop Dmen, including young guys Schmidt, Orlov and Djoos. But don’t make the assumption he’s going to play young guys when he has a choice (he still chose Jerebek over Djoos to start the playoffs, just like Shattenkirk over Schmidt, and at times Weber over Schmidt too).

Puts in context the times last year Trotz hinted at Schmidt in over Orpik and then no change happening - seems Reirden was the reason.

Reactions: calicapsfan

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Todd has done great things helping to develop Dmen, including young guys Schmidt, Orlov and Djoos. But don’t make the assumption he’s going to play young guys when he has a choice (he still chose Jerebek over Djoos to start the playoffs, just like Shattenkirk over Schmidt, and at times Weber over Schmidt too).

Puts in context the times last year Trotz hinted at Schmidt in over Orpik and then no change happening - seems Reirden was the reason.

When did he actually hint that?

Do you mean the times when he said Schmidt needs to work hard for his spot in the line-up? That's literally what every head coach in every team will say to a player that's been healthy scratched.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->