Capitals improved despite Ovechkin's lower production

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Currently in a playoff spot despite OV on pace to match his worst regular season.

On the other hand, Ovechkin seems to be much more committed to all around play. Coincidence?

It is interesting that the Caps arguably had just as much success in 2011 playing a tighter defensive game where OV was significantly less productive than they did playing run and gun in 2009/2010.

"it is interesting" to note that the so-called "unleashed" Ovie of several years ago, whom you described as playing with no regard for defensive positioning and as refusing to play a 200-foot game, was the centerpiece of our two best seasons in recent memory.

These alleged "selfish Ovie" teams took the Pens to seven games in the year the Penguins won the Cup (with Ovie collecting Hart, Pearson & Richard trophies along the way), and then followed it up by winning the Presidents Trophy the next season. Yes, Caps lost in the first round in 2010 against the Canadiens, in seven games, but it was the same Canadiens team which proceeded to knock out the Penguins in the next round. Was this defeat of the Penguins due to 87 "not playing a 200-foot-game," or to him playing with "no regard for defensive positioning?"

Ovie haters act as if the Caps were a proud Original Six franchise with years of near-misses until Ovie showed up and hi-jacked the franchise. The reality is the Caps have played 40 seasons with precious little to show for it, and the only times they even sniffed glory in recent memory was because of 8 busting his *** and scoring a boatload of goals.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
I think what the OP is saying, is that once the goals start going in, Ovechkin is easily in the discussion for "best in the world" :handclap:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Good coaching and star players buying in to a system usually lead to improved team success.

It's too bad people have to get defensive and question motives.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
The Caps are definitely my team if the Sharks bow out early (save your choker jokes, this is a thread about the Caps!). Great to see Trotz having the anticipated effect on both OV and the team.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Would agree that this is the best Ovechkin (outside some stretches of games...) we´ve seen since the 2010 olympics. And he will start getting his points soon enough. Finishing top 10 in points and top 3 in goals as usual. Maybe even that goal yesterday will make him find his momentum quick. One move is sometimes all it takes. And when it´s a goal and the early candidate for GOTY it probably will build some confidence...

And also agree that the worst thing the Capitals have done was abanding the run and gun game to soon. Halaks 53 shot game 6 was something else... And that Halak also broke the Penguins in the next round should have excused the Capitals fall.
And losing to the SC-winning Penguins in 7 games (two losses in OT) with one of the greatest show offs of Ovechking (and Crosby...) to date shouldn´t be an reason to change the team philosophy.
As all great teams they probably learned from that. Even som of the greatest dynastys have been questioned before they won. Islanders and Oilers for starters. Not to say the Red Wings of the 90´s.
Had the Capitals stuck with building on there team strenghts instead of changing system I think they would have had more success. Maybe even a Cup.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I still maintain that the Hunter-led Capitals were the most complete team they've had in the last ten years. It was so boring and bland but it won them games and was working in the playoffs.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I don't think offensive production and defensive responsibility are mutually exclusive for a guy like Ovechkin. Quite the opposite. Ovechkin will have improved chances 5 vs 5 as a result of better puck possession.

As the team gets more acclimated to the Trotz system Ovechkin's scoring chances seem to be improving. He does seem on the verge of a points explosion. Could have easily had a hatty last night. He's also been making some nice plays passing the puck.

The Caps are a better team because they have an NHL quality coach for the first time in years, and an NHL quality defense for the first time in Ovechkin's entire career. Niskanen has been as advertised and Orpik has been great. Carlson/Alzner/Schmidt/Green all look better under Trotz than under Oates. It's not a coincidence.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
He's been snake bitten, but yes this whole team looks fantastic. Ovi included.

The first line of Ovechkin-Backstrom-Wilson has some insanely good possession numbers.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I don't know why a few of you are up in arms ready to lynch OP.

He merely said that Ovechkin production is lower than usual and in the same breath praised him for his overall contribution to the success of his team. That's what I got from his post anyway, maybe I was misled.

It's because this guy is one of the biggest Ovechkin haters on the board.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I think what the OP is saying, is that once the goals start going in, Ovechkin is easily in the discussion for "best in the world" :handclap:

Well, he won his last Hart while a defensive liability so...yeah, why not?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I wonder if Ovechkin scores, say 37 goals and has around 35 Assists, is a +15 AND the Caps make the playoffs if people will consider it a successful year? Or will they write posts and articles about how the decline has begun?

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Hey look, an Ovechkin hater with a crappy thread.

OK. One more time.

Capitals were coached by the worst "coach" of the decade the last 2 years, so of course they improved under a real coach and adding 2 veteran defensemen.
Ovechkin is playing great and will soon find his production.

/thread please.

I don't get what people aim to do with these types of comments. Starting off by being condescending by saying "Ok. One more time." makes people not want to listen, but afterwards you put things into bold? And you end with "/thread please" - that was painful.

But in any case, I think the caps needed a system that didn't revolve around their star player, he was giving too much and halfway through the season I think he ran out of juice. His production might have stayed the same but how can anyone expect Ovi to play 100+ games where he has to practically carry the team on his shoulders?

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I don't get what people aim to do with these types of comments. Starting off by being condescending by saying "Ok. One more time." makes people not want to listen, but afterwards you put things into bold? And you end with "/thread please" - that was painful.

But in any case, I think the caps needed a system that didn't revolve around their star player, he was giving too much and halfway through the season I think he ran out of juice. His production might have stayed the same but how can anyone expect Ovi to play 100+ games where he has to practically carry the team on his shoulders?

They haven't since 2010..

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Ahh yes, the old "if you don't agree with me you're automatically a hater" argument. :laugh:

No it's the fact that you are an Ovechkin hater and there is no argument. Any time someone brings him up it's the same old...

"plus minus" "he's not 1994 Fedorov defensively" "only Selke winners lead teams to Cups" "his -34 season sums up his career" (even though he's been a plus player pretty much his entire career)

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Anyone familiar with the op knows what the motive of the thread was. Hell I knew what I'd see before opening it. The best caps teams were those when Ovie was best in the world. That's not even debatable.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Currently in a playoff spot despite OV on pace to match his worst regular season.

On the other hand, Ovechkin seems to be much more committed to all around play. Coincidence?

Not one bit coincidence. Many examples of top players rounding out their game a bit (and upsetting the fantasy geeks in the process) to the benefit of their team. One should have suspected this might happen with a superb, demanding coach and a prideful player.

Good For Ovechkin.
Good for the Caps.
Bad for personal stats memorizers.

And the best thing is, should the Caps make the playoffs, they will be a better prepared team and still possesse the best sniper of this generation on their side of the ice.

They could have won a cup in 09/10 and at least come out of the east in 08/09.

Wrong again, StatsRUs. They couldn't win the Cup on 09/10 and they didn't. They were a paper tiger build for the regular season only. They could not adjust their game over a seven game series and they could not win enough very close games. That is how you win a Cup. They were just good enough to lose a lot of close games come the spring.

But then again, one has to watch to understand that, so why am I bothering?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Hope it happens but I still think the Caps miss the playoffs. Too many three point games every night and no way to make up ground.

Jackets, Isles, Rangers, Philly, none of them are losing right now. Caps have a tough stretch here the next two weeks, culminating in the New Year's Day beat down they will receive from the Hawks. They also haven't played the Pens, Flyers or Rangers yet.

Hope for the best, don't see it happening, and of course Ovechkin will get torn to shreds.

HOLDITHERE*

1. Why on Earth would we fear the Flyers right now?

2. He's bought in this season, as he has done every single season since he was drafted. This year, the system actually works.

3. They won a Presidents Trophy at the height of his offensive dominance...coincidence?

4. He scored 50 goals LAST YEAR.

If he never scores 50 goals again, but wins a Cup, will you people finally stop hating him. Wait, of course you won't. He could win the MVP, Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup 5 years in a row and he'll still get ignorant hate.

eyetest is useless

Oct 25, 2014
Not one bit coincidence. Many examples of top players rounding out their game a bit (and upsetting the fantasy geeks in the process) to the benefit of their team. One should have suspected this might happen with a superb, demanding coach and a prideful player.

Good For Ovechkin.
Good for the Caps.
Bad for personal stats memorizers.

And the best thing is, should the Caps make the playoffs, they will be a better prepared team and still possesse the best sniper of this generation on their side of the ice.

Wrong again, StatsRUs. They couldn't win the Cup on 09/10 and they didn't. They were a paper tiger build for the regular season only. They could not adjust their game over a seven game series and they could not win enough very close games. That is how you win a Cup. They were just good enough to lose a lot of close games come the spring.

But then again, one has to watch to understand that, so why am I bothering?

What was so different between the 08/09 pens that won a cup, and the 09/10 team that was apparently a paper tiger as well since they went out in exactly the same way as WSH?

Then again why am I bothering with lol old people who look at a bunch of low sample results, form their narratives, and think all the things are true that people thought were true 50 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->