Capitals improved despite Ovechkin's lower production

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Currently in a playoff spot despite OV on pace to match his worst regular season.

On the other hand, Ovechkin seems to be much more committed to all around play. Coincidence?

It is interesting that the Caps arguably had just as much success in 2011 playing a tighter defensive game where OV was significantly less productive than they did playing run and gun in 2009/2010.

eyetest is useless

Oct 25, 2014
They could have won a cup in 09/10 and at least come out of the east in 08/09. They had a much better shot in those two years than in 2011 and especially that painfully average team in 2012 that somehow came close to the ECF. Their best chance was 2010 I think, goes to show how easily results over small samples can deceive. Halak's run that year was fantastic to watch but damn it robbed us of some potentially great series.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Hey look, an Ovechkin hater with a crappy thread.

OK. One more time.

Capitals were coached by the worst "coach" of the decade the last 2 years, so of course they improved under a real coach and adding 2 veteran defensemen.
Ovechkin is playing great and will soon find his production.

/thread please.

eyetest is useless

Oct 25, 2014
I think Ovechkin benefitted from a certain amount of PP runhot as well in terms of goals, it's mmore spread out this season

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Where did I say he wasn't playing great? You seem to be more worried about OV looking good than the team.

Are you honestly trying to say that this thread was not about pointing out how little value Ovechkin has when looking at team success?

Last edited by a moderator:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Are you honestly trying to say that this thread was not about pointing out how little value Ovechkin has when looking at team success?

Yes, it's an interesting dynamic don't you think? I'm not saying he has little value, he's contributing in other ways that he didn't before and it seems to be better for the team.

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Yes, it's an interesting dynamic don't you think? I'm not saying he has little value, he's contributing in other ways that he didn't before and it seems to be better for the team.

So, you are saying that current Ovechkin is better for the team than 09-10 Ovechkin? Really?

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
Ovechkin is having his best season in a long time in my opinion, he is playing 200ft game, he back checks like a mad man, this is something I haven't seen before, he is +7 I think, you probably not going to see 50 goals Ovechkin under Trotz but he is more valuable to the Caps scoring just 40goals but playing the right way, big reason for less production is also Wilson who plays on his wing, with more skilled and experienced winger Ovie's production would be higher

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
So, you are saying that current Ovechkin is better for the team than 09-10 Ovechkin? Really?

If OV played the 200 foot game he seems to be playing now, perhaps. He was always a risk/reward type player. The rewards were a great regular season team but not one built for Cup runs. Maybe it was the best option to let him play unleashed from any kind of responsibility other than putting the puck in net and taking runs at players with no regard to defensive positioning. The problem was the whole team seemed to be based or influenced on his style of play. It was great from a business point of view, not so much a competitive point of view.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I don't know why a few of you are up in arms ready to lynch OP.

He merely said that Ovechkin production is lower than usual and in the same breath praised him for his overall contribution to the success of his team. That's what I got from his post anyway, maybe I was misled.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Ovechkin is having his best season in a long time in my opinion, he is playing 200ft game, he back checks like a mad man, this is something I haven't seen before, he is +7 I think, you probably not going to see 50 goals Ovechkin under Trotz but he is more valuable to the Caps scoring just 40goals but playing the right way, big reason for less production is also Wilson who plays on his wing, with more skilled and experienced winger Ovie's production would be higher

Immediately on the puck, he often did, even when his defensive game was absolutely abysmal otherwise. It was one extreme or another, sometimes in hot pursuit of the puck carrier if he thought he could catch him, but regularly pulling up straight leg and coasting even as the key F1 getting back and not picking up the trailer...like he didn't understand the threat or thought it was better to take a rest and save himself for going the other way.

If he is playing even average defence consistently, then yes, he is playing better than he has overall in quite some time. The skill set is certainly there to do it, and you really can't have your best trigger man, third forward high in the offensive zone, unwilling to do what it takes to break odd man rushes.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
If OV played the 200 foot game he seems to be playing now, perhaps. He was always a risk/reward type player. The rewards were a great regular season team but not one built for Cup runs. Maybe it was the best option to let him play unleashed from any kind of responsibility other than putting the puck in net and taking runs at players with no regard to defensive positioning. The problem was the whole team seemed to be based or influenced on his style of play. It was great from a business point of view, not so much a competitive point of view.

This is utter BS. The team is better now and it's playing well. Ovechkin is playing well and he definitely needs to get points due to his improved defensive play.

But you are making absolutely no sense. Ovechkin in his peak was better player than he is now. How is this even remotely debatable? Cause 30 games in to the season Caps are doing fine? They were doing much better when they led the regular season in points.

Why not just call a spade a spade. You created this thread in order to smack down his prior accomplishments. There is no other reason for it. Cause even a 5 year old child can see the faults in your logic.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Maybe it was the best option to let him play unleashed from any kind of responsibility other than putting the puck in net and taking runs at players with no regard to defensive positioning

hilarious.

you do realize that during this stretch of him supposedly playing w/ no regard to defensive positioning, he recorded seasons of +45, +28, and +24?

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
theyll be my team in the playoffs if the ava dont make it. which is looking pretty likely at this point

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
ovechkin does what he is told. always has. he did everything dale hunter told him. last season he did what oates told him to do which was a silly amount of passive. all three zones. passive.

trotz has ovechkin below the goal line in his own zone playing defense. people just love to hate this player.

remind me again, where he is in the all star voting? LOL. NHL fans not only don't think he is first team all star, they don't think he belongs on the roster. its hilarious

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
Ts thread could've been about: the Caps are looking good and Ovechkin isn't producing at his career pace during this stretch. Watch out!

Instead it's about OV finally cares about the team and is not producing, thus we who called him selfish were right all along.

The Caps do better when ovechkin scores. The teams record throughout his career when he does so is indicative of that. Ovechkin and the Caps simply have a more coherent even strength system this season. Hence the better overall team performance.

CaptainCatfish

Jan 4, 2014
Sweden, Göteborg
I didn't see it as him bashing Ovi, looks like he was just saying Ovi is playing differently.

This.

I'v been listening to several interviews with both ovie and trotz and theres no secret they have been working on hes two-way game...
Hes more of a two-way player now under Trotz. I think hes offensive production will improve once he gets mor comfortable with the new system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->