Confirmed with Link: Capitals hire Kevin McCarthy to coach defense. Rest of coaching staff stays

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
That is interesting that McCarthy singled out Orlov specifically. Maybe Orlov is about to have a career year (well for a weird covid year). At 29, Orlov should be in or hitting his prime now.

I think we all know he has untapped offensive skills. Largely because Marshmellow sticks to his PP and Orlov is left with defensive assignments. He needs to be jumping in plays more than any other LD.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That is interesting that McCarthy singled out Orlov specifically. Maybe Orlov is about to have a career year (well for a weird covid year). At 29, Orlov should be in or hitting his prime now.

Orlov has been played out of position all along. He is a left handed Carlson. Not a puck moving Dillon.
This is another sign that Orlov is going to be taken off shutdown duty and be used with Schultz in an attack role. Carlson and Dillon will handle the defensive assignments.

Carlson's even strenth point totals are going to drop hard.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Orlov has been played out of position all along. He is a left handed Carlson. Not a puck moving Dillon.
This is another sign that Orlov is going to be taken off shutdown duty and be used with Schultz in an attack role. Carlson and Dillon will handle the defensive assignments.

If that's the case.. then I wonder what an Orlov-Jensen pairing would look like :sarcasm:

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Mostly like what it looked like last season except the assignment change would open up opportunity. But i get your point

I know I know lol.. I really liked that pairing, just pretty much resigned to it not happening anymore.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
The problem with Jensen is that he is not a top4 material. He has an exceptional defensive ability but he brings nothing else. Orlov can make him into a decent top4 guy but with a better pair Orlov can literaly dominate the League like he did with Niskanen. By the way I am not sure Schultz is any better than Jensen.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I know I know lol.. I really liked that pairing, just pretty much resigned to it not happening anymore.

My read on this is that they got Schultz to pair with Orlov for offense. I would not be shocked to see Jensen moved up to Orlov when protecting a lead.

Reactions: Capagonia

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The problem with Jensen is that he is not a top4 material. He has an exceptional defensive ability but he brings nothing else. Orlov can make him into a decent top4 guy but with a better pair Orlov can literaly dominate the League like he did with Niskanen. By the way I am not sure Schultz is any better than Jensen.

What is your definition of dominate? With Niskanen Orlov was the support partner for the primary shutdown defenseman on the team. He didnt dominate his own pairing.

Jensen is a top 4 defense first defenseman.

Schultz is there to provide offense only. With Orlov that pair wont be on the ice for defense.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Perhaps. I am probably most curious what a Dillon-Schultz pair looks like. BMac mentioned it. Which would put Orlov-Carlson together, one would think.

which could change everything you just mentioned.

Reactions: twabby

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Perhaps. I am probably most curious what a Dillon-Schultz pair looks like. BMac mentioned it. Which would put Orlov-Carlson together, one would think.

which could change everything you just mentioned.

Yes, that would change everything with a plan I cant figure. What I heard BMac say sounded more like not locking himself into a decision that is the coach's than anything.

It doesnt really change everything anyway. Orlov and Carlson would have to be the shutdown matchup pair because Schultz isnt going to be doing that work. Carlson's evp totals will be down as a result. Orlov as an offensively focused player would be wrong. Thats all.

Whats the logic to that grouping?

Orlov Carlson
Dillon Schultz
Siegenthaler Jensen

What is the assignment for Dillon Schultz? Dillon isnt an offensive player and Schultz not a defensive one. The only value I see in that is seeing Schultz as a weapon of equal value to either Orlov or Carlson

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Yes, that would change everything with a plan I cant figure. What I heard BMac say sounded more like not locking himself into a decision that is the coach's than anything.

It doesnt really change everything anyway. Orlov and Carlson would have to be the shutdown matchup pair because Schultz isnt going to be doing that work. Carlson's evp totals will be down as a result. Orlov as an offensively focused player would be wrong. Thats all.

Whats the logic to that grouping?

Orlov Carlson
Dillon Schultz
Siegenthaler Jensen

What is the assignment for Dillon Schultz? Dillon isnt an offensive player and Schultz not a defensive one. The only value I see in that is seeing Schultz as a weapon of equal value to either Orlov or Carlson
I’d like to see what Siegs and Jensen could do as a shut down pair. At least test it out. Both are very strong positionally. Their issue is ability to clear the crease — which is really only Dillon, in some ways. I’m not talking about “up a goal, less than 5min to play” type of shut down minutes, but certainly I would like to see how the fair.

there’s also the option for some craziness. Dillon -Jensen could also be a shut down pair. No offense at all, but that wouldn’t be expected.

my whole thinking of Dillon - Schultz is that Dillon abilities in the D zone *may* allow Schultz more freedom offensively.

I think the only pairing we def won’t see is Carlson-Schultz. Obv due to handedness, but also due to just a bad contrast. I think for a Schultz to really engage, he needs a Dillon or Siegenthaler on his opposite side. Jensen would fit that bill as well, but handedness.

the nice thing is they really do seem to have a lot of options. And none of that even mentions TVR.

It’s all very intriguing.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
I’d like to see what Siegs and Jensen could do as a shut down pair. At least test it out. Both are very strong positionally. Their issue is ability to clear the crease — which is really only Dillon, in some ways. I’m not talking about “up a goal, less than 5min to play” type of shut down minutes, but certainly I would like to see how the fair.

there’s also the option for some craziness. Dillon -Jensen could also be a shut down pair. No offense at all, but that wouldn’t be expected.

my whole thinking of Dillon - Schultz is that Dillon abilities in the D zone *may* allow Schultz more freedom offensively.

I think the only pairing we def won’t see is Carlson-Schultz. Obv due to handedness, but also due to just a bad contrast. I think for a Schultz to really engage, he needs a Dillon or Siegenthaler on his opposite side. Jensen would fit that bill as well, but handedness.

the nice thing is they really do seem to have a lot of options. And none of that even mentions TVR.

My ideal pairings would be

Dillon-Carlson
Orlov-Jensen
Siegs-Schultz

The top 4 carries the load defensively while they shelter the f*** out of the 3rd pairing and let Schultz do whatever he wants with Siegs as his babysitter.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

1. You will see how they fair. There are road games. But you wont see them in either game in and game out shutdown assignments or the critical minutes that a shutdown pair would see,

2. My guess is that you will see Orlov and Jensen late in games protecting leads.

3. I am certain we will see many combinations for many reasons. 2 right shot defensemen you wont see. No Carlson/Jensen either.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My ideal pairings would be

Dillon-Carlson
Orlov-Jensen
Siegs-Schultz

The top 4 carries the load defensively while they shelter the f*** out of the 3rd pairing and let Schultz do whatever he wants with Siegs as his babysitter.

One top 4 pair is the shutdown pair. The other top 4 pair plays offense with Ovechkin and company. I can only go by what the coaches and players have commented but pushing offense from the defense is what they want. That is what they got Schultz for. I get that you must hate Schultz but that aint gonna be the plan. Prepare yourself

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
1. You will see how they fair. There are road games. But you wont see them in either game in and game out shutdown assignments or the critical minutes that a shutdown pair would see,

2. My guess is that you will see Orlov and Jensen late in games protecting leads.

3. I am certain we will see many combinations for many reasons. 2 right shot defensemen you wont see. No Carlson/Jensen either.
I don’t think we can be sure of #1, save the fact that it won’t happen in critical minutes. I stated same in my comments. But it could happen in other scenarios for sure.

Orlov and Jensen? Perhaps. Also Dillon and Carlson. Heck, Dillon and Jensen could work as well.

what # is Schultz? 2? So we have 2,3,4,9 in the top 6. Did we see what TVR is?

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
One top 4 pair is the shutdown pair. The other top 4 pair plays offense with Ovechkin and company. I can only go by what the coaches and players have commented but pushing offense from the defense is what they want. That is what they got Schultz for. I get that you must hate Schultz but that aint gonna be the plan. Prepare yourself

That’s why I said they were my ideal pairings rather than my predicted pairings. I know Schultz is starting out at 2RD. Whether he lasts there is another question, though.

Reactions: Bieronymus Trotz

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don’t think we can be sure of #1, save the fact that it won’t happen in critical minutes. I stated same in my comments. But it could happen in other scenarios for sure.

Orlov and Jensen? Perhaps. Also Dillon and Carlson. Heck, Dillon and Jensen could work as well.

what # is Schultz? 2? So we have 2,3,4,9 in the top 6. Did we see what TVR is?

I didnt write 1 well. In road games the opposing coach is going to put his #1 line against the Caps 3rd pair. So we will see how they do. Is Lavy going to run Siegs and Jensen out against Kucherov on purpose protecting a one goal lead? No

Dillon and Carlson should be the primary shutdown pair.

Schultz is 4

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
It's probably half the plan. It's not the ideal plan but you know there's a contingency for if Schultz can't get it back, and this is the most likely one. More likely than Orlov-Carlson and Dillon-Jensen if Schultz can't play in the top 4 at all.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
It's probably half the plan. It's not the ideal plan but you know there's a contingency for if Schultz can't get it back, and this is the most likely one. More likely than Orlov-Carlson and Dillon-Jensen if Schultz can't play in the top 4 at all.
This makes a lot of sense.

I don’t think Schultz will be near as bad as we all are worried about.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I think it’s interesting that they’ve added TVR, Schultz and LaDue as (apparently) NHL d-men, but not added a forward. They not only need to replace Kovalchuk/Leipsic, but also Boyd as #13, and while Sprong might fill one of those spots there isn’t really anyone in the system who is ready to be any kind of impact player right now aside from CMM, who management don’t seem eager to rush into NHL duty.

I don’t know PL or his system well enough, but I wonder if we might see the use of 11F/7D more this season? With the condensed schedule and the Caps being high on Fehervary (who’s seemingly pushed back to the AHL this coming season), the organisation have more quality choices on the backend than up front, and maybe it’s smarter to spread the defensive minutes among your 7 NHL-caliber D than play a #12 F who is going to get fleeting minutes (like Pinho got in the playoffs)?

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
I think it’s interesting that they’ve added TVR, Schultz and LaDue as (apparently) NHL d-men, but not added a forward. They not only need to replace Kovalchuk/Leipsic, but also Boyd as #13, and while Sprong might fill one of those spots there isn’t really anyone in the system who is ready to be any kind of impact player right now aside from CMM, who management don’t seem eager to rush into NHL duty.

I don’t know PL or his system well enough, but I wonder if we might see the use of 11F/7D more this season? With the condensed schedule and the Caps being high on Fehervary (who’s seemingly pushed back to the AHL this coming season), the organisation have more quality choices on the backend than up front, and maybe it’s smarter to spread the defensive minutes among your 7 NHL-caliber D than play a #12 F who is going to get fleeting minutes (like Pinho got in the playoffs)?
Jensen will be traded. They will add a bottom6 offensive forward soon.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Kovalchuk replaced Leipsic and Sprong replaces Kovalchuk. The Caps have a list of prospects to replace Boyd.

No on dressing 7 d and I dont know anyone expecting Ladue to be an 8th defenseman on the roster. He played 2 games in the NHL last season. He is a veteran for the AHL roster and behind Fehervary on the depth chart

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
I still think that Jensen remaining is a question. Right now Fehervary is 8th on the depth chart. I just dont see that as where they want to be
8th or 9th. He may be behind LaDue.

Rather he’s 4th LD. So I can see how he can be called “8th”. LaDue is 5th RD.

so you are probably right. I’m correcting myself.

I don’t think they deal Jensen unless is a good deal. I don’t think they have to trade him, so we will see what is generated.

obv if they sign a forward of any monetary substance, that would change.

Reactions: Capagonia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->