Post-Game Talk: Capitals def. Canucks - 5-2 (Stecher, Baertschi)

Winner?

• Vancouver

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Washington

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Do the Capitals play in Washington State, or Washington, D.C.? I'm don't know, Jordan.

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I don't see much hope for us this game... although we do seem to have a pretty good shutdown line going and the last change, so this shouldn't be a blowout.

3-1 Caps... the 3rd Washington goal being an empty-netter.

Boeser for the Canucks.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
Did you intentionally skip an entire page of discussion on the subject, just to make a dig at him?

I have never seen him make an issue of this with other teams records before, only now that it can be applied to the canucks. Every team is subject to the same rules. Seems too convenient at this stage.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Did you intentionally skip an entire page of discussion on the subject, just to make a dig at him?
Nope.

Felt the previous "explanation" disingenuous and was looking for the real reason.

Been lots of rule changes in the last 50 years. Deciding to cherry pick-ignore the OT results is something that seems, to say the least, something that invites criticism.

Should we ignore the OT in the playoffs?

How about the change in the two line offside rule? Or mandatory helmets?

He mis-states the Canuck record and rightfully gets called out on it.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Nope.

Felt the previous "explanation" disingenuous and was looking for the real reason.

Been lots of rule changes in the last 50 years. Deciding to cherry pick-ignore the OT results is something that seems, to say the least, something that invites criticism.

Should we ignore the OT in the playoffs?

How about the change in the two line offside rule? Or mandatory helmets?

He mis-states the Canuck record and rightfully gets called out on it.

It's lame.. but if that's how perceives, so be it. As long as he's applying it across the board to all teams, you can't really call him out despite the optics of it and it being the first I've heard this take from him.
Time will tell if he's consistent with it's application or if it was a matter of convenience.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
It's lame.. but if that's how perceives, so be it. As long as he's applying it across the board to all teams, you can't really call him out despite the optics of it and it being the first I've heard this take from him.
Time will tell if he's consistent with it's application or if it was a matter of convenience.

Like consistency has ever mattered on these boards

Reactions: Literally

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
What is incorrect about saying the regulation record is 3-3-2?

Their Bettman record is 5-3-0. Great.

As long as I am clear in calling it the regulation record it shouldn't be very confusing to anyone.

I doubt this would bother you if we didn't happen to be 2-0 in the comical coin flip circus.

next you'll be complaining that the red line is gone.

it's not a bettman record. they won those two games in overtime and they have no overtime single points from a loss. awarding two points for winning in overtime is not a bettman thing. the current overtime era dates from a time when bettman was still an nba lackey ten years away from his true glory.

if you want to complain about loser points and shootout wins being worth a point, fill your boots, but the canucks nhl record is presently 5-3-0.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It just leads to something of a false narrative, irrespective of the club... @Melvin is right, those games are absolutely ties with a bonus point thrown in. After a game, when fans act like the team played better/worse because of the OT/SO result, it sounds ridiculous and I just imagine NHL marketing guys doing fist-pumps that their trick actually worked.

Exactly. And I feel the same way when we "lose" these games and the tone of this place is as if we lost the game outright and have posted as such many times after such "losses."

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
next you'll be complaining that the red line is gone.

it's not a bettman record. they won those two games in overtime and they have no overtime single points from a loss. awarding two points for winning in overtime is not a bettman thing. the current overtime era dates from a time when bettman was still an nba lackey ten years away from his true glory.

if you want to complain about loser points and shootout wins being worth a point, fill your boots, but the canucks nhl record is presently 5-3-0.

I am not complaining at all. I am quoting their regulation record because it is more meaningful to me than the "official record." you can feel free to use whatever you want.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I have never seen him make an issue of this with other teams records before, only now that it can be applied to the canucks. Every team is subject to the same rules. Seems too convenient at this stage.

I have been very consistent about this for several years, with any team, although it is not always convenient to look it up because most website annoyingly to not put ot record in the standings. But just because you didn't "notice" me doing it before means nothing since you would have had no reason to notice it. I don't expect you are some sort of a scholar about my posts or something. That is abaddons job.

Also, I am not making an issue of it. Other posters are making an issue of it because they are triggered by me referencing the teams regulation record for some reason. Normally they are not.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I am not complaining at all. I am quoting their regulation record because it is more meaningful to me than the "official record." you can feel free to use whatever you want.

i like all forms of overtime. 3 on 3 greatly exceeded my preconceived bias against it.

i am not a fan of the shootout.

i'd support going to a three point for a win system to downgrade shootout wins to 2 points and otl to 1 point, but i would still give 3 points for a 3 on 3 ot win.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
i like all forms of overtime. 3 on 3 greatly exceeded my preconceived bias against it.

i am not a fan of the shootout.

i'd support going to a three point for a win system to downgrade shootout wins to 2 points and otl to 1 point, but i would still give 3 points for a 3 on 3 ot win.

The opposite for me. I liked three on three in exhibition but after watching it in real games I realized it's a complete farce and I hate it.

To each his own.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Oh, don't get me wrong - I think a brutal *****-slap from reality is forthcoming to this team's record, same as it has in previous years. Part of the reason I see it as fairly pointless to quibble about regulation wins vs. overtime wins at this stage in the game.

I think it's relevant because people are acting like we are off to this amazing start and they would likely feel completely different if the results of OT had gone differently, which is very, very silly imo and more reasonable to see this as a 500 team so far, which still exceeds expectations.

If anything, it is FAR more relevant now than It will be at the end of this season when things won't have been affected as much. Right now 25% of our games have gone to ot so its a bigger factor.

Last edited:

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Hi all. I just watched the Flames vs the Rangers.. how we didn't draft tkachuk is beyond me....

Benning was so focused on a d guy, he missed the best player available. Period.

Let's not give his drafting skills to much credit...

Now, Go Nucks!!!

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hi all. I just watched the Flames vs the Rangers.. how we didn't draft tkachuk is beyond me....

Benning was so focused on a d guy, he missed the best player available. Period.

Let's not give his drafting skills to much credit...

Now, Go Nucks!!!
Management thread is over there....>>>>>>>>>

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->