Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Coyotes 9pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah, it's problematic but I'll also say in their defense that it's not possible to "bring it" all 82 games. You're going to have games where you don't have the legs or the execution isn't there or you're just not as sharp as you could be.

Bigger issue to me is the last half dozen games or so the first line is back to meh.

You don't have to play like the Greatest Team In History to beat the last place team. You have to be aware enough to not fall below the necessary level. That's what I think people are missing in this discussion. It's not a matter of going full blast for 82 games. It's about getting the job done and that starts with knowing what the job IS.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It wasn't that bad a game.

There were some bad performances (hi, I'm Taylor Chorney, I'm your 7th best Defenseman!!), and the flow was bad. The totes are young, young, young, and fast, fast, fast. Caps didn't have their legs at the start.

Grubs let in a soft goal at the end of the 3rd or they win that game, and no one is really complaining.

Tonite will be the tell tale. Do they get waxed due to being hung dogs from losing? Or do they show some grit and bounce back? I think it actually sets them up better to have their mettle tested. Had they won 2-1 last night, it may have allowed a little less urgency.

I said before the road trip started, that if they got more points than games played (so 4pts), they had a good trip. That is still very possible.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
"Making the playoffs is harder than winning the Stanley Cup" - Every coach in the NHL.

Get points, see how it shakes out, that's all they can do.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Chorney was awful and they hit, what 2 posts? 3? Caps dominated shot attempts while the Coyotes packed it in and played turtle hockey. It wasn't the debacle some are claiming it to be, though their effort level and defensive zone coverage in the first period did leave something to be desired.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Chorney was awful and they hit, what 2 posts? 3? Caps dominated shot attempts while the Coyotes packed it in and played turtle hockey. It wasn't the debacle some are claiming it to be, though their effort level and defensive zone coverage in the first period did leave something to be desired.

Yup. At end of 2 it was like 40-20 in shot attempts. Caps played fine.

That said. I'm still very much on my "trade for a d-man to push Chorney to 8D horse". Last night was another example. And Chorney is miles better than Ness....who is next up.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Chorney typically takes a game or two to adjust. Once he does he's passable enough as a 6. His last game was about a month ago.

The possession stats look good but they had 17 shots so it wasn't a strong underlying performance at all. They missed on a lot of attempts and seemed to play a lot on the perimeter. It seemed like a game where Trotz told them to play close to the vest given ARI's speed and it sort of worked until Chorney's penalty. But they still have a pace problem IMO and aren't a fundamentally strong possession team, esp. on the road. The fancy stats on this one are deceptive given that they were out-shot by ten. They hit some posts but it wasn't a good performance. They had their push but what happened to the top line? It's hard to rely so much on the middle six and a D that isn't overly dynamic.

Vegas will be a very interesting test of their legs and heads.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Yup. At end of 2 it was like 40-20 in shot attempts. Caps played fine.

That said. I'm still very much on my "trade for a d-man to push Chorney to 8D horse". Last night was another example. And Chorney is miles better than Ness....who is next up.
We didn't play that good. We had one scoring chance in the first period. The shot when Eller hit the post. I don't care how many shots we had directed towards the net. We didn't have many great scoring chances. How many great saves did you see Wedgewood make. We really didnt test him.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He doesn't get to play enough games. Most goalies will play better the more they play.
Because he isn't good enough. Sone people think we should trade him but he has no value. Some people think we should trade Holtby and go with Grubauer. Get off the glue.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Really guys?? You think the Caps will also underestimate their opponent in the playoffs? Because this is the main reason why we lost. That's great job folks, comparing the effort of a playoff game and a game before Xmas break against the weakest team in the league.

First goal against happening because of Chorney who can't find the puck in his feet, alone behind the net. It will lead to a long shift in D zone, to the penlaty and then to the goal.

Second goal against, didn't understand why and how 3 different players from 3 different lines were put together to finish the game.

And thanks to Ovechkins wodka, who preserved my GDTs record at 5-2-0. Wanted to create the GDT, but was too slow.:laugh:
On that first goal our pk wasnt aggressive enough. Neither Chaisson or Or love put any pressure on the shooter. And Grubauer didn't come out to challenge the shooter. It was a good shot but we gave him too much time and space.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They lost to the worst team in the league. It WAS that bad, especially giving it away at the end of the 3rd.

I don’t find much solace in “they tried”. They lost to a team they had no business losing too.

They’re going to lose the next one too, Watch.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Who said that making the playoffs was harder than winning the Stanley Cup?

Daryl Suter for one, I believe I have also seen that type of quote attributed to Mike Babcock as well. I remember seeing Torts implying this as well, but I can't find the quote.

"“The league is so close these days, you can’t just think you’re going to get it going. You don’t have time. I think it’s almost harder to make the playoffs than to win it now." - Daryl Suter

Whicker: Kings coach Darryl Sutter knows what winning means – Daily News

Honestly I am starting to believe this. The grind, the travel, the back to backs, managing the salary cap, (which you don't have to do in the playoffs).

In the playoffs the teams are home a lot, travel (until the Final) is minimal, no back to backs, your number one goalie plays every game, you can also get favorable matchups which can be easier on a team. I don't know I could be completely wrong but the older I get it just seems that getting in is all teams strive for now, they don't care if they are one or sixteen.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Daryl Suter for one, I believe I have also seen that type of quote attributed to Mike Babcock as well. I remember seeing Torts implying this as well, but I can't find the quote.

"“The league is so close these days, you can’t just think you’re going to get it going. You don’t have time. I think it’s almost harder to make the playoffs than to win it now." - Daryl Suter

Whicker: Kings coach Darryl Sutter knows what winning means – Daily News

Honestly I am starting to believe this. The grind, the travel, the back to backs, managing the salary cap, (which you don't have to do in the playoffs).

In the playoffs the teams are home a lot, travel (until the Final) is minimal, no back to backs, your number one goalie plays every game, you can also get favorable matchups which can be easier on a team. I don't know I could be completely wrong but the older I get it just seems that getting in is all teams strive for now, they don't care if they are one or sixteen.

More than half the teams in the league can make the playoffs, only one out of 31 wins the Stanley Cup. How could it possibly be harder to get in the playoffs than to win it all? Some teams can wait up to 50 years just to win one Stanley Cup.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
More than half the teams in the league can make the playoffs, only one out of 31 wins the Stanley Cup. How could it possibly be harder to get in the playoffs than to win it all? Some teams can wait up to 50 years just to win one Stanley Cup.

Eh, how hard can it be when the same organizations win it every season?

Last 20 years:

Hawks - 3
Pens - 3
Kings - 2
Wings - 4
With the occasional fluke like the Canes thrown in there.

It is as much about luck (luck of the draw, bounces, favorable calls) than anything else anymore.

Also, there is a thing called the "loser mentality". Sabres have it, Caps have it, Blues have it, fans have it. No matter how confident you are you know in the back of your mind that you are going to lose because something is going to go wrong, and it always does.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Eh, how hard can it be when the same organizations win it every season?

Last 20 years:

Hawks - 3
Pens - 3
Kings - 2
Wings - 4
With the occasional fluke like the Canes thrown in there.

It is as much about luck (luck of the draw, bounces, favorable calls) than anything else anymore.

Also, there is a thing called the "loser mentality". Sabres have it, Caps have it, Blues have it, fans have it. No matter how confident you are you know in the back of your mind that you are going to lose because something is going to go wrong, and it always does.
What does eh mean?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Caps are 8-1-1 in their last 10. A microcosum of why they fail in the playoffs. BTW..This bunch is probably going to win the division this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad