Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Coyotes 9pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Well that sucked. Did Vrana get a shift in OT? If not, why not?

I'm bummed I'm probably going to miss the game tomorrow, really wanted to see the Caps take on Vegas.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
They can't make more than two consecutive passes in a row. Its why their play style is so choppy. There is no flow to their offensive game. We win because of individual effort coming through for us. Its seriously not because they have an offensive strategy. I mean, they will win games. They will compete for this division. We've seen them do that under Trotz. But winning this way isn't going to help them win in the playoffs.

Why won't Trotz try to do something different? The team gets crushed in the playoffs year in and year out. What does he think will happen if they continue along the same path this year?

That's about as much as you should expect from this roster.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Disgusting performance and really a microcosm of why this team has not been able to get past the 2nd round under Trotz.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
its just irritating that we've won 13 of 16 and one loss and this board has an epic meltdown. we got a point, they were gonna lose sooner or later
I don't think anyone is having an epic meltdown it just the fact they played extremely poorly tonight and showed almost no effort against the worst team in the NHL. They should have buried this team easily. We have a history of playing down to our competition and not showing up against weaker teams. It's unsettling to continue to see it.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
so winning 13 of 16 means absolutely nothing now? okay then
Truth.
After such a strong run I've had a feeling they were due for a let down. That 1st pd w/ 2 SOG was a bad omen for this one o_O
You never know, if they show up tomorrow in Vegas... but a tough building to get a win.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Playing down to teams is also why they struggle in the first round of the playoffs as a top seed. That leads to long close series that don’t build confidence.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
PerfumedDisguisedBullfrog-max-1mb.gif

tumblr_mg63boP4sO1rkgdaqo1_500.gif

Reactions: calicapsfan

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
All I was saying is that regular season success has not meant anything about post season success. You're reading too deep into it dude.

i get that :)

and maybe its just the special education teacher in me having to always find positives but nearly everyone here at beginning of year said they were gonna be lucky to make playoffs, now that they are playing well its just random things such as trade jay beagle etc its just like we have to find something to be mad at

if they make the playoffs, great. if they win the cup, even better but this isnt the same team as last year and its unfair to compare them

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Playing down to teams is also why they struggle in the first round of the playoffs as a top seed. That leads to long close series that don’t build confidence.
Yep. Not too many 4-1 series wins.
In 2011 as top EC seed they eliminated the Rags 4-1. This is perfect I thought (a sweep might have made them too confidant).

So what happened the next round? The Bolts swept them ! Inexplicable, except Caps in playoffs :mad:

Reactions: calicapsfan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He doesn't get to play enough games. Most goalies will play better the more they play.

I guess an issue i have is he really doesn’t Flash brilliance hardly at all like you see from upcoming #1’s. He’s sound technically, decently athletic, and beyond that...not sure.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Really guys?? You think the Caps will also underestimate their opponent in the playoffs? Because this is the main reason why we lost. That's great job folks, comparing the effort of a playoff game and a game before Xmas break against the weakest team in the league.

First goal against happening because of Chorney who can't find the puck in his feet, alone behind the net. It will lead to a long shift in D zone, to the penlaty and then to the goal.

Second goal against, didn't understand why and how 3 different players from 3 different lines were put together to finish the game.

And thanks to Ovechkins wodka, who preserved my GDTs record at 5-2-0. Wanted to create the GDT, but was too slow.:laugh:

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Can't win 'em all, but to lose to the worst team in the league and give them their 8th win of the season? Puke.
The Yotes goal differential is -44. haha This should of been a 4-1 W but the Caps thought the goals would go in by themselves.

-'s
2 SOGs in the first
Gruby was good but leaked at the wrong time
Our D with Chorney < D with Bowey and thought Nisky had a bad game
Like a lot of kids in the early 80's, the Caps have a problem with speed
Probably the worst Caps possession in OT I've ever seen
I'm posting in this forum

+'s
Loser point
We don't have to hear the Yotes goal howl for another year
We hit the post a couple of times
I actually have time to post

Hope they decide to bring their A game against one of the best teams in the league today.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
"Just enough" is back. They scrambled to get off the bubble and then "*whew* can we stop working so hard now?"

Trotz has to completely eliminate this or they're DOOMED.

DOOOOM!!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Weird that the Coyotes gave them problems in both games. Both times the team looked like they thought if they just showed up they'd beat Arizona.

It's exactly what some have already said: playing down to the opponent. And in the case of AZ they're at least capable of raising their game a little bit when they play the Caps.

It's one game but it's a window into their biggest weakness.

Reactions: StrikingDistance

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It's exactly what some have already said: playing down to the opponent. And in the case of AZ they're at least capable of raising their game a little bit when they play the Caps.

It's one game but it's a window into their biggest weakness.

Yeah, it's problematic but I'll also say in their defense that it's not possible to "bring it" all 82 games. You're going to have games where you don't have the legs or the execution isn't there or you're just not as sharp as you could be.

Bigger issue to me is the last half dozen games or so the first line is back to meh.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
its just irritating that we've won 13 of 16 and one loss and this board has an epic meltdown. we got a point, they were gonna lose sooner or later

This.

While personally I wanted them to tank for Dahlin clearly they are too talented to do that, but make no mistake the Metro is tight and the Caps can be top or bottom in a matter of two weeks.

If you are a Caps fan and you have "expectations" you are just setting yourself up to be sad, mad and disappointed.

The Caps aren't winning the Cup this year, repeat this over and over and you will be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad