OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Thanks @usiel for heading this up.

A few film recommendations for those folks stuck at home, in some unconventional genres.

Silent-era films:
City Lights
Safety Last
The General
Sherlock Jr.
Modern Times

European Crime Films:
Shoot the Piano Player
Breathless
Le Circle Rouge
Bob the Gambler
Le Samourai

Shaw Brothers-era martial arts films, many for free on Amazon Prime:
Five Element Ninjas
Flying Guillotine
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
The Five Deadly Venoms
The 36 Chambers of the Shaolin

Big movie buff myself. You sure picked a lot of obscure things to recommend. ;)

The Five Deadly Venoms is my ALLTIME favorite Kung Fu Theater-type movie. Still holds up today IMO.

Reactions: Team SWOLEvechkin

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Btw....Dave Chapelle, that Mark Twain Kennedy Center event on Netflix has some hilarious stuff. I FFWD through some parts, but the comedy stuff is great. Aziz Ansari tells a hilarious story about doing shrooms with Dave, and Neal Brennan, co-writer on Chappelle Show kills it.

Reactions: kicksavedave

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
For some reason got sucked into Outer Banks on Netflix which is kinda a CW type show.
That's next on our list. Probably starting it tonight.

Finished up an actual CW show in All American season 2 last night. Show is loosely similar to the story of Spencer Passinger, a former NFL player who helps produce and write the show.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Who are my Horror fans?

I watched The Woman last night......wild wild movie. My girl Pollyanna McIntosh, some of you may know from Walking Dead (Jadis) is awesome.

Another solid movie with her is Let us Prey. Liam “the onion knight” Cunningham is in it as well.

I'll check out The Woman next. :thumbu:

Sinister is the only horror movie that ever legit frightened me. I jumped like 5 times, paused it about 4 times to remind myself it's just a movie and tried to laugh it off. The music was f***ing brilliant!!!

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Just finished The Woman. :eek:

The only person I felt bad for is Darling. The rest were either morons or heinous morons. At first I was willing to forgive the family's reaction when he brought home the Woman but then you find out there's also a feral blind girl living in the barn with the starving dogs. So fleeing and calling the authorities on Dad never crossed their minds? :help:

Last edited by a moderator:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Just finished The Woman. :eek:

The only person I felt bad for is Darling. The rest were either morons or heinous morons. At first I was willing to forgive the family's reaction when he brought home the Woman but then you find out there's also a feral blind girl living in the barn with the starving dogs. So fleeing and calling the authorities on Dad never crossed their minds? :help:

the dad was a treat. The teacher/barn scene surprised me.

now watch Darlin on Prime. Not as shocking, but a decent sequel.

Last edited by a moderator:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
The last Kingdom season 4 on Netflix!

Pummeled through it in two days. Very good. I've read 5 or 6 books into the series so still haven't gone beyond what I read. I might be forgetting but I think the stuff they added with his eldest son seemed to diverge from the books and if they did was a good change. I read too many books these days stuff gets real muddled.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Westworld Season 3 is a lot of fun. It's much better than the messy Season 2, and actually makes sense for the most part.

Plus
it takes places outside the park, which I think is a big improvement. Robots run amok is more fun in a modern/near future setting, IMO.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Westworld Season 3 is a lot of fun. It's much better than the messy Season 2, and actually makes sense for the most part.

Plus
it takes places outside the park, which I think is a big improvement. Robots run amok is more fun in a modern/near future setting, IMO.

Is it done yet? I’ll roll through when all release.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Season finale is this upcoming Sunday.

I agree this season is much better than Season 2.

To be fair this is the best season. The first two felt like a long prequel. It is one thing for the hosts to be in the park...another when they are 'in the real' matrix style. Story line potential just explodes.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ok, finally watched my first Apple TV+ show....

See with Jason Momoa......

I must say, digging it. Very very cool concept for the show....

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Wow.....See was awesome. Only 8 episodes....

Think Cloud Atlas meets evil queen/empire......main plot line is, everyone is blind. Makes battles really unique. Makes living much more challenging...in general.

Very violent, Momoa is awesome.

Usiel.....get on that.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Netflix, Cracked Up, the Darrell Hammond story of his abuse as a child, is intense and unbelievable. Amazing he made it through that, but not without lots and lots of scars. Happy for him he's gotten past it.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Wow.....See was awesome. Only 8 episodes....

Think Cloud Atlas meets evil queen/empire......main plot line is, everyone is blind. Makes battles really unique. Makes living much more challenging...in general.

Very violent, Momoa is awesome.

Usiel.....get on that.

Man I loved the concept and as most everyone is a big Momoa fan even from the SG days but I've never given apple a cent of cash in all these years. If it it bluray/hardcopy I'll be all over it. Legacy of the Pyrrhic was of ios vs android.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Darn, too bad. I got a year free of the service.

Speaking of which, I’m in season 3 of my Atlantis rewatch....so good. Both SG1 and Atlantis really hold up even all these years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->