OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Really enjoyed Shadow and Bone on Netflix. Never read the book, but a really well done high fantasy series.

Always a good sign when a bunch of no name actors give good performances. Only actor I can recall ever seeing before is Ben Barnes.

I binged it pretty quickly, but it was mostly because I was seeking out something to binge. Not bad, but also not particularly special. Definitely better than the other steampunk-ish fantasy series out there right now (The Nevers on HBO), albeit with Shadow and Bone having more high fantasy elements.

Some of the actors did well, others gave off relatively one-dimensional performances. The actors who played Jasper and Kaz could pull off their arrogant/rogue-ish acts pretty well, but anytime they needed to show any range it fell kinda flat. I also had to look up their character names on IMDB because they were pretty forgettable, despite being central figures.

Enjoyable, worth the watch, but not anything super special. Solid C+

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Shadow and Bone was decent. Pretty clear probably what I think would be decent TV productions from YA fantasy novels is completely different from the people developing them, heh.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Y'all, I'm unpinning this thread per some new directives from on high. I think there's enough activity here to keep it on the first page, but let me know if you find its falling out visibility.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Damn. Season 4 of Castlevania is so damn good. I thought the earlier seasons were good, but I'm shocked at how much I am enjoying season 4.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Just watched Man from Nowhere….really good.

If you like dark gritty and violent Korean action movies like Man from Nowhere, you're in luck as there are plenty.

The Chaser is a good one. The Villainess is another one and was the movie that inspired John Wick 3's motorcycle chase scene. I Saw the Devil. New World. A Bitter Sweet Life. The Berlin File. The Suspect. There's a bunch I can't remember off the top of my head right now.

My favorite Korean movie though isn't an action movie but a detective procedural called Memories of Murder directed by Bong Joonho, the guy who directed Parasite.

I thought Parasite was just ok... Memories of Murder I freaking loved. It's about the real life series of killings in the Korean country side back in the 80s (Korea's first real serial killer). The movie isn't really about the murders but more the investigation. Just everything about it just sucks you in though, with Bong Joonho's well-known ability to weave humor and tense drama together. It's what put him on the map in Korea.

Reactions: max21

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If you like dark gritty and violent Korean action movies like Man from Nowhere, you're in luck as there are plenty.

Chaser is a good one. The Villainess is another one and was the movie that inspired John Wick 3's motorcycle chase scene. I Saw the Devil. New World. A Bitter Sweet Life. The Berlin File. The Suspect. There's a bunch I can't remember off the top of my head right now.

My favorite Korean movie though isn't an action movie but a detective procedural called Memories of Murder directed by Bong Joonho, the guy who directed Parasite.

I thought Parasite was just ok... Memories of Murder I freaking loved. It's about the real life series of killings in the Korean country side back in the 80s (Korea's first real serial killer). The movie isn't really about the murders but more the investigation. Just everything about it just sucks you in though, with Bong Joonho's well-known ability to weave humor and tense drama together.

Villainess, liked it, I saw the Devil was fantastic….

I’ll look up the others you list….I love that sub-genre…I recently watched A Company Man and Hwayi:A Monster Boy….entertaining.

I watched a crazy movie on Shudder the other day called, Psycho Gorman. (Totally off genre)….

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Villainess, liked it, I saw the Devil was fantastic….

I’ll look up the others you list….I love that sub-genre…I recently watched A Company Man and Hwayi:A Monster Boy….entertaining.

I watched a crazy movie on Shudder the other day called, Psycho Gorman. (Totally off genre)….

Oh yea, I forgot you love horror. Amazon Prime has the Wailing which I loved, and Gonjiam haunted asylum which I watched recently and liked if you like the found footage genre.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Oh yea, I forgot you love horror. Amazon Prime has the Wailing which I loved, and Gonjiam haunted asylum which I watched recently and liked if you like the found footage genre.

I feel like I’ve had The Wailing in queue for years….it’s so damn long it drives me away every time I think about it. I’ve heard great things, but man I love my horror around 90 mins….2 hours tops for a fantastic movie….2:36 is absurd!

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I feel like I’ve had The Wailing in queue for years….it’s so damn long it drives me away every time I think about it. I’ve heard great things, but man I love my horror around 90 mins….2 hours tops for a fantastic movie….2:36 is absurd!

I hear you about the length haha.. if it makes it any better, the movie is more psychological horror/drama than typical horror. Gonjiam js short though, and more the typical.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad