OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Hated? I enjoyed season one. Purefoy is great.....

Have not read the books, so wasn’t ruined for me based off a change from the original story.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I posted this in the corona thread but it fits here too. Be warned, its much more emotional that I expected.

If you have Amazon Prime, the 2018 Stanley Cup Washington Capitals movie is now available for free to members:

81Q7VN8BjRL._SX300_.jpg

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I posted this in the corona thread but it fits here too. Be warned, its much more emotional that I expected.

If you have Amazon Prime, the 2018 Stanley Cup Washington Capitals movie is now available for free to members:

81Q7VN8BjRL._SX300_.jpg

I also found this documentary on the Hershey Bears that is free for Prime members. cc: @hb11xchamps

81wkNpyPo8L._SX300_.jpg

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They did the documentary last year IIRC. Haven't gotten around to watching it but I've heard good things

I’m about 75% done. Very good. For any longtime Bears fan....probably incredible.

Very well done documentary.

Tim Tookey....what a blast from the past hearing that name.

Last edited:
Reactions: hb12xchamps

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Watched Molly's Game last night. It's on Netflix. Pretty solid movie about a woman who runs underground high stakes poker games and it's based on a true story.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Who are my Horror fans?

I watched The Woman last night......wild wild movie. My girl Pollyanna McIntosh, some of you may know from Walking Dead (Jadis) is awesome.

Another solid movie with her is Let us Prey. Liam “the onion knight” Cunningham is in it as well.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Day 250 of quarantine, bored out of my mind, but saving a lot of money by not commuting to the Bay Area for work, so I'm building a Plex Media Server on a new NAS, Synology DS1019+ (for my nerds) w/ 48TB of raw storage. Gonna rip all my DVD/BR/3D collection and retire the dusty old unused DVD player.

But hey, discovering that ripping my BluRay collection is nothing like ripping my DVD collection, especially on my Mac. H264/H265. MKV/MP4, different encryption types, a trillion different compression options, lots to sort through. When I used to rip DVDs on my PC, I had a program called 1ClickDVD which, coupled with DVD Decrypter, would literally make a perfect exact copy of a DVD with, yes, one click. Now with BRs it seems I have to rip first, then transcode which took just about all night long to finish on my Macbook, and decide which one of 50 formats to use, trying to guess all the devices it would be played on some day- Plex on Roku, Smart TV directly, Smart Phones, Tablets, laptops, Mac, PC, getting confusing. If this was normal times, I'd say phuckit, turn on Netflix and watch whatever. But there's nothing to do so I need a new hobby. At least I know the DS1019+ has hardware transcoding so I can really just choose one format and let the hardware work, but its really only capable of a few streams if its transcoding. Direct streaming it can handle a ton more.

Anyone build a good media server (Plex or other) and have some good tips to share?

BTW, 12TB external drives are $220 now. Storage is so damn cheap now its insane, and fun.

Reactions: usiel

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Day 250 of quarantine, bored out of my mind, but saving a lot of money by not commuting to the Bay Area for work, so I'm building a Plex Media Server on a new NAS, Synology DS1019+ (for my nerds) w/ 48TB of raw storage. Gonna rip all my DVD/BR/3D collection and retire the dusty old unused DVD player.

But hey, discovering that ripping my BluRay collection is nothing like ripping my DVD collection, especially on my Mac. H264/H265. MKV/MP4, different encryption types, a trillion different compression options, lots to sort through. When I used to rip DVDs on my PC, I had a program called 1ClickDVD which, coupled with DVD Decrypter, would literally make a perfect exact copy of a DVD with, yes, one click. Now with BRs it seems I have to rip first, then transcode which took just about all night long to finish on my Macbook, and decide which one of 50 formats to use, trying to guess all the devices it would be played on some day- Plex on Roku, Smart TV directly, Smart Phones, Tablets, laptops, Mac, PC, getting confusing. If this was normal times, I'd say phuckit, turn on Netflix and watch whatever. But there's nothing to do so I need a new hobby. At least I know the DS1019+ has hardware transcoding so I can really just choose one format and let the hardware work, but its really only capable of a few streams if its transcoding. Direct streaming it can handle a ton more.

Anyone build a good media server (Plex or other) and have some good tips to share?

BTW, 12TB external drives are $220 now. Storage is so damn cheap now its insane, and fun.

I've know a few people back in the DVD only days that went this route and it always tempted me as well. When bluray players came out for PC and just the more hurtles for that I was like 'nah not worth it'.

I do have one coworker that has dived into that world I'll will double check with him if he ever kept up with it when blurays hit and any tips he might have for what it is worth.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

My work buddy got back to me he was using Magic Blu-ray Ripper. Didn't get the impression it was too difficult.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Finished up Ozark season 3. Liked it a lot more compared to season 2 and the end scene was a little unexpected lol. Should set up a solid season 4

I got stalled in season 2 and just never got back to it. It is quality but it is one of those that I have to be in a certain move to go back to it. Sort of category of 'hey this is good or better quality but for some reason is a slog' type of thing.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
End of season 2 is really good. Some big character events.

I’m NOT typically a fan of crime shows, but Ozark I enjoy for some reason.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I got stalled in season 2 and just never got back to it. It is quality but it is one of those that I have to be in a certain move to go back to it. Sort of category of 'hey this is good or better quality but for some reason is a slog' type of thing.
I get what you're saying. Parts of season 2 definitely were a drag to get through. The first season was incredible though. On edge the entire time

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I get what you're saying. Parts of season 2 definitely were a drag to get through. The first season was incredible though. On edge the entire time

On problem I found was that when I would fall asleep with Netflix autoplaying at least 2 or 3 episodes I just annoyed myself and would often just go away from the show for a while and start from the beginning of the season. I later read one can disable the autoplay when logging into Netflix through the browser so much less of that these days.

Ran through Ultraman on one anime front was pretty good. Like the technology they were using to create it.

Team SWOLEvechkin

Oct 4, 2019
Thanks @usiel for heading this up.

A few film recommendations for those folks stuck at home, in some unconventional genres.

Silent-era films:
City Lights
Safety Last
The General
Sherlock Jr.
Modern Times

European Crime Films:
Shoot the Piano Player
Breathless
Le Circle Rouge
Bob the Gambler
Le Samourai

Shaw Brothers-era martial arts films, many for free on Amazon Prime:
Five Element Ninjas
Flying Guillotine
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
The Five Deadly Venoms
The 36 Chambers of the Shaolin

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Caught up on the first two episodes of The Last Dance on ESPN. Definitely would recommend. Pulled me in enough that I'm going to watch every Sunday from here on out when I can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad