GDT: Capitals at Leafs Nov 23, 2013 7:00 PM ET

Halpysback*

Well, sure, I was just remembering and stuff.

Yeah remembering things is awesome. I'm remembering the ovechkin broken nose game right now. Punched his ticket to Valhalla right there.

romao

May 18, 2010
Kharkiv
Brooks Laich, C 24 3 2 5 -10 6 17:52

Five freaking points in 17:52 second-line minutes per night including some PP.

That is a fact. Find another guy who consistently plays 18 min a night on the second line and has five points. Go ahead find him. To boot he is -10. Fact. No hyperbole.
Stephen Weiss?
Cap hit 4.9 mln, 3 pts in 19 games. Not 18 min, just 15:15. But he doesn't play PK as much as Laich does (0:59 vs 2:57) and has slightly more PP time.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Except he hasn't actually walked the walk, ever. If the amount of smoke he blew about working on his skating or going to the bakery correlated with his on ice play he'd be Crosby 2.0. As things are he's always remained an average skater, always sucked along the boards (hallmark of a "walking the walk player") and aside from a couple years has been a non-factor as a net presence. Chimera and Ward walk the walk more than he does.

I guess for some people talk is all they need, it's how McPhee still has a job.

If so, then Joel Ward definitely didn't walk the walk before this season. Before past 15 games actually.

What have you done for me lately it's called.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Tough break for the Caps. They really outplayed the Leafs.

The last 3 games the opposition scored their 1st or 2nd goals in all the same manner. Borderline high stick deflection of which none went for us.

The Montreal game officiating was brutally bad but the Caps overcame it and Budaj just stole it.

Last night I thought Reimer was very very solid as well.

One observation was that they were shadowing Ovechkin on the PP!!! hahaha I don't think I've ever seen that before.

They were absolutely daring Carlson to shoot those open one timers at the point and he couldn't connect. I like his shot but Green really needs to be there. No team would do that ploy if Green was taking those shots as his are far more accurate.

Ovechkin did the Gretzky. When he was being shadowed he just went close to the net to open up the shot for Carlson ..which again..he didn't bury despite repeated attempts.

I thought that was funny that the Leafs even did that.

I feel bad for Brouwer. Nothing is going his way and you can tell by his body language that he has zero confidence. I know Oates is trying to get him going but it is hurting us. That said I read he had the best SF/SA of all Caps vs Toronto at ES. Something like 23-7

I'd still like him to sit a game or two and see what Erat/Grabo/Fehr can do.

We just can't score lately. Getting great looks but nothing is going in. it happens.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I can't remember who it was but a few games ago I noticed a team playing Ovie more or less in a soft man on their PK. Ovie didn't adjust. Then another team did it and Ovie started moving around more, first down low then up high, etc.

The Leafs just took it to the extreme and the new counter seems to be to just stay low for the most part.

I don't know how effective this will be. Percentage-wise it seems like too many bodies in the way vs the number of times a good screen is set up and the shot gets through. Just standing to the side with a man between him and the net isn't really creating a screen or achieving position for anything but a wide angle rebound.

I wonder what would happen if Ovie and the Cap playing the middle of the 1-3-1 started rotating or switching positions. Create what used to be called the "flex" offense in basketball, and even apply this switch to the low and high position to really keep the PK guessing.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I can't remember who it was but a few games ago I noticed a team playing Ovie more or less in a soft man on their PK. Ovie didn't adjust. Then another team did it and Ovie started moving around more, first down low then up high, etc.

The Leafs just took it to the extreme and the new counter seems to be to just stay low for the most part.

I don't know how effective this will be. Percentage-wise it seems like too many bodies in the way vs the number of times a good screen is set up and the shot gets through. Just standing to the side with a man between him and the net isn't really creating a screen or achieving position for anything but a wide angle rebound.

I wonder what would happen if Ovie and the Cap playing the middle of the 1-3-1 started rotating or switching positions. Create what used to be called the "flex" offense in basketball, and even apply this switch to the low and high position to really keep the PK guessing.

I think the only way to stop teams from doing that is to ensure the trigger man at the point scores. Carlson has let some good shots rip but hasn't taken advantage.

Again if teams continue to do this then we have to get production from the point man who is WIDE open to let it rip.

Personally I feel Green is far better in that role than Carlson.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think the only way to stop teams from doing that is to ensure the trigger man at the point scores. Carlson has let some good shots rip but hasn't taken advantage.

Again if teams continue to do this then we have to get production from the point man who is WIDE open to let it rip.

Personally I feel Green is far better in that role than Carlson.

But the man responsible for the point is not always responsible for Ovechkin. A good point threat only keeps the high man honest, not the other PKers.

You don't see this a lot in hockey but you see it in other sports. If someone is playing a man-to-man defense on you the way to beat it is with motion and picks. Picks aren't legal in the NHL, so you're left with motion.

Halpysback*

If so, then Joel Ward definitely didn't walk the walk before this season. Before past 15 games actually.

What have you done for me lately it's called.

Except even when he wasn't producing he was still working his ass off, dominant along the boards and moving the play in the right direction, no matter what line and what linemates he was with. And the only time he opened his mouth was to take responsibility for when he messed up, like right after the double high stick. Oh, and he always stepped up in the playoffs. Always.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
But the man responsible for the point is not always responsible for Ovechkin. A good point threat only keeps the high man honest, not the other PKers.

You don't see this a lot in hockey but you see it in other sports. If someone is playing a man-to-man defense on you the way to beat it is with motion and picks. Picks aren't legal in the NHL, so you're left with motion.

No he's not but it creates a 4 on 3 situation almost giving more open shooting lanes to get those shots through. Carlson had gaping lanes to shoot with nary a shin guard in his path.

He fired some good ones that Reimer made some strong saves on.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
‏I'm back to watching primarily to see if Ovechkin scores.

Unfortunately, that's perfectly fine with Ted and this organization.

So while I understand the sentiment, it inadvertently rewards the organization's emphasis on marketing personalities over building a hockey team that can succeed in the playoffs.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Unfortunately, that's perfectly fine with Ted and this organization.

So while I understand the sentiment, it inadvertently rewards the organization's emphasis on marketing personalities over building a hockey team that can succeed in the playoffs.

So marcel are you boycotting the team? Are you not watching the games? Are you not following them in any fashion that could indirectly reward the team?

Chances are you're not. You're a fan and a Caps fan at that. You enjoy pain and demoralizing losses and have for years and years now.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
So marcel are you boycotting the team? Are you not watching the games? Are you not following them in any fashion that could indirectly reward the team?

Chances are you're not. You're a fan and a Caps fan at that. You enjoy pain and demoralizing losses and have for years and years now.

I wouldn't say I "enjoy" pain and demoralizing losses. It's been pretty frustrating watching it become customary with this organization.

What the team has lacked for sometime is a player/group of players that get seriously offended by -- really fuggin pissed about -- not having what it takes to win in the playoffs, and take it as a personal mission to get the team over the hump. Really, the only guy I see who might have that attitude is Holtby.

I recall the "24/7" from 2 years ago when it involved the Rangers and Flyers, and the Rangers had a game right before the Winter Classic in which they lost to the Caps. And Tortorella met with the Rangers the next day, and basically cut them a break, saying it was the first game in a long time in which they were unprepared, blah blah.

But he also said of the Caps: "That team was there to be taken," and then he just shook his head and said "That team, that team. . . ." And it was clear that he had little respect for the Caps' overall compete level/determination.

This organizational attitude issue has been a problem here for so long, and it's clear Hunter was brought in to fix it - he did, to a degree (but at too great a cost, apparently), and since his departure there is no player or organizational figure that knows how to instill a winning culture - nor does there seem to be any recognition that Ovy, Backstrom, Green, Laich et. al., notwithstanding their skills as hockey players - aren't the guys to instill that culture. And so we basically tread water - not because our players aren't talented, but because there aren't enough guys that know how to win, which starts with taking an attitude that losing (and excuses for losing) isn't acceptable.

I watch still sure, because I love hockey. But the act, and the refusal/inability to change, is definitely getting stale.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I wouldn't say I "enjoy" pain and demoralizing losses. It's been pretty frustrating watching it become customary with this organization.

What the team has lacked for sometime is a player/group of players that get seriously offended by -- really fuggin pissed about -- not having what it takes to win in the playoffs, and take it as a personal mission to get the team over the hump. Really, the only guy I see who might have that attitude is Holtby.

I recall the "24/7" from 2 years ago when it involved the Rangers and Flyers, and the Rangers had a game right before the Winter Classic in which they lost to the Caps. And Tortorella met with the Rangers the next day, and basically cut them a break, saying it was the first game in a long time in which they were unprepared, blah blah.

But he also said of the Caps: "That team was there to be taken," and then he just shook his head and said "That team, that team. . . ." And it was clear that he had little respect for the Caps' overall compete level/determination.

This organizational attitude issue has been a problem here for so long, and it's clear Hunter was brought in to fix it - he did, to a degree (but at too great a cost, apparently), and since his departure there is no player or organizational figure that knows how to instill a winning culture - nor does there seem to be any recognition that Ovy, Backstrom, Green, Laich et. al., notwithstanding their skills as hockey players - aren't the guys to instill that culture. And so we basically tread water - not because our players aren't talented, but because there aren't enough guys that know how to win, which starts with taking an attitude that losing (and excuses for losing) isn't acceptable.

I watch still sure, because I love hockey. But the act, and the refusal/inability to change, is definitely getting stale.

A couple things...

First off we choked back in the day too and we had guys like Stevens, Hunter and a host of others who HATED losing. We had Tinordi and Konowalchuk too and its not like they liked losing either.

Tortorella is always a curmudgeon who always berates the opposition. I don't take his thoughts as gospel.

You know at one point there were people questioning whether the core of Lidstrom, Yzerman and Fedorov were good enough to win a championship. Looking back that seems so silly but at one point it was a huge issue.

I think we just need to get on a roll at the right time. Simple as that. We need OUR goalie to get hot. We need PPs to favor US 26-14.

malyk

Apr 15, 2007
The City by the Bay
The first Avs game is was when the opposition first shadowed Ovi on the PP. Thought it was funny that Roy would do that, but it seemed to work. When teams do that Ovi should move around more. Drift through the slot, etc. make the other team weave through the traffic with him and open up the slot guy. Hell, Ovi and the slot guy should do a quick overlap/swap to the far post when the puck goes down low to the goal line. Someone else scoring bang-bang back door plays will make coaches reconsider the shadow.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
The first Avs game is was when the opposition first shadowed Ovi on the PP. Thought it was funny that Roy would do that, but it seemed to work. When teams do that Ovi should move around more. Drift through the slot, etc. make the other team weave through the traffic with him and open up the slot guy. Hell, Ovi and the slot guy should do a quick overlap/swap to the far post when the puck goes down low to the goal line. Someone else scoring bang-bang back door plays will make coaches reconsider the shadow.

they did that once last night and brouwer missed the puck on a one-time opportunity.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Not just motion, but it has to be smart effective motion. Brett Hull used to be a slug on skates at times, but the guy knew one thing well and that was making himself a target to receive the pass and shoot. Sometimes, Russian Machine not so good at that.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Except he hasn't actually walked the walk, ever. If the amount of smoke he blew about working on his skating or going to the bakery correlated with his on ice play he'd be Crosby 2.0. As things are he's always remained an average skater, always sucked along the boards (hallmark of a "walking the walk player") and aside from a couple years has been a non-factor as a net presence. Chimera and Ward walk the walk more than he does.

I guess for some people talk is all they need, it's how McPhee still has a job.

To be fair he had back to back 20g+ 50pt+ seasons in 08-10, culminating with 25/59. That's not walking the walk to you? Remember his salary those two years?

He's not the only Capital to get handsomely rewarded for the success of the Boudreau offense, so why the singular hate for Brooks?

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
To be fair he had back to back 20g+ 50pt+ seasons in 08-10, culminating with 25/59. That's not walking the walk to you? Remember his salary those two years?

He's not the only Capital to get handsomely rewarded for the success of the Boudreau offense, so why the singular hate for Brooks?

Not hate, but my dislike is lack of production now and his mug always in front of a microphone.

But let me get this right..........you earn a raise and then become a slacker?

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Sure, it was good enough for hey, hey, hey it's Fat Albert...

Plus I wouldn't consider Laich a slacker, I mean he still tries hard IMO, but he no longer has the luxury of leaching off Semin so the results aren't close to what they used to be.

Halpysback*

Not hate, but my dislike is lack of production now and his mug always in front of a microphone.

The caps' habit of rewarding "good soldiers" for their service/discounts rather than what they actually represent is absolutely infuriating. Toe the line, say the right things, catch a few lucky streaks here and there and you get a nice fat paycheck even if you're fundamentally a crappy hockey player or don't have a place on the team. And even if you don't live up to it the organization will move heaven and earth to accommodate you, like they had for Schultz. This big government keep your head down and bobble your way to GS-15 style is why we always have a quarter of the cap tied up in crap like Neuvirth, Schultz, Laich, Brouwer and Erskine.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

You're calling a major injury a slacker or were you referring to Ovechkin? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad