GDT: CAPITALize on the Games in Hand!: Capitals @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think the problem is Kinkaid, in general, not stopping pucks from going in the net enough this year.
We score a lot of goals in the games he's been winning, but he's also had a couple pretty good games. The one against the Rangers and against the Islanders particularly.

Hopefully he can get back to the level of play from last year and 14-15 in his rookie season. There's still time to finish with a pretty decent season for him.

Reactions: theoptimist

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
What. A. ****ING. JOKE.

Seriously, this is dumb at this point.

I don't understand what needs to happen for Cory to get back in there.

He wasn't great last night, second goal sucked, we can rationalize it all we want, but that's all it is.

And I was starting to think nice things about Hynes lately.

Awesome. I can't imagine what you'll do if he actually beats the Flyers. Drive up to NJ and punch Hynes in the nose?

To be honest, going back and watching the highlights with better angles, I didn't really like the 2nd goal either, and I didn't like the 3rd goal as well because he lifted his pad. Shouldn't have gone through him.

Wow, this brings me back to the good 'ol days where the greatest goalie of all-time kept winning games while the greatest statistical goalie on our roster kept losing them, and we all almost imploded over how terrible that was. Love this place.

Edit: Perhaps a mod could start a Cory vs Kinky thread and then immediately permaban all who post to it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Awesome. I can't imagine what you'll do if he actually beats the Flyers. Drive up to NJ and punch Hynes in the nose?

To be honest, going back and watching the highlights, I didn't really like the 2nd goal either, and I didn't like the 3rd goal as well because he lifted his pad. Shouldn't have gone through him.

Wow, this brings me back to the good 'ol days where the greatest goalie of all-time kept winning games while the greatest statistical goalie on our roster kept losing them, and we all almost imploded over how terrible that was. Love this place.
Awesome.

What a contradiction this is.

Now you're the one picking apart the goals he allowed, yet you're also giving him the praise for the win? Or is this more baiting?

When he plays good, I tell you, don't i? I sure did after the Islanders game, but he wasn't really a key piece in the win last night.

If Kinkaid has been good this year, I don't wanna see anybody say there's been a bad goalie in the NHL this year, unless their Thomas Greiss or Scott Darling.

Reactions: glenwo2

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Awesome.

What a contradiction this is.

Now you're the one picking apart the goals he allowed, yet you're also giving him the praise for the win? Or is this more baiting?

When he plays good, I tell you, don't i? I sure did after the Islanders game, but he wasn't really a key piece in the win last night.

If Kinkaid has been good this year, I don't wanna see anybody say there's been a bad goalie in the NHL this year, unless their Thomas Greiss or Scott Darling.

No man - it's all good. I didn't get a good look at goal #2 until they got the right angle from the Washington feed. To me, it just looked like a blast that beat him high short side.

Nowhere did I say this guy is a #1 goaltender, nowhere did I say I've loved his play this year. Everywhere, I've said your hate for him far outstrips what he deserves, though. And everywhere I think pointing to SV% and GAA is ridiculously stupid in determining a goalie's play, yet you point to it when Cory's is good, and ignore it when Cory's is bad. That's all.

Kincaid's numbers are the way they are because he's a victim of some bad puck luck, bad defense and some difficult shots - he hasn't been as bad as his #s suggest, and he certainly hasn't been very good.

But, he's WINNING. And that's all I've ever cared about.

Reactions: haak84

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No man - it's all good. I didn't get a good look at goal #2 until they got the right angle from the Washington feed. To me, it just looked like a blast that beat him high short side.

Nowhere did I say this guy is a #1 goaltender, nowhere did I say I've loved his play this year. Everywhere, I've said your hate for him far outstrips what he deserves, though. And everywhere I think pointing to SV% and GAA is ridiculously stupid in determining a goalie's play, yet you point to it when Cory's is good, and ignore it when Cory's is bad. That's all.

Kincaid's numbers are the way they are because he's a victim of some bad puck luck, bad defense and some difficult shots - he hasn't been as bad as his #s suggest, and he certainly hasn't been very good.

But, he's WINNING. And that's all I've ever cared about.
If he hasn't been as bad as his numbers suggest, he certainly hasn't been much better.

And I haven't ignored it with Cory. The only leeway I've given Cory is saying that he hasn't played as bad as his recent numbers have indicated, but he also hasn't played better than this season's numbers would indicate either. He gave up a lot of poor goals in late October and into November. It seems to be catching up with his numbers during this last string of games, where he's really only given up a couple poor goals. He gave up many more poor goals in late October and November, which were not showing up in the numbers.

These are the percentages evening out, so to speak. Quite literally.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

To be honest, going back and watching the highlights with better angles, I didn't really like the 2nd goal either, and I didn't like the 3rd goal as well because he lifted his pad. Shouldn't have gone through him.

Edit: Perhaps a mod could start a Cory vs Kinky thread and then immediately permaban all who post to it.
Cory's first year here he had a 1.97 GAA and a .921 SV%. Marty's was 2.51 with a .901 SV%. Surely it was Marty's magical powers that was getting him wins and not pure chance. Kinkaid is getting wins because of pure chance too. You give up over 3 goals a game over the course of a full season, you won't win much.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Thank you!

That's EXACTLY what's happening here. I was through talking about him for the weekend, unless Hynes was feeling really super daring and was ready to start him tomorrow and announcing that today, but someone had to come on here, quote his wins/loss record, use me by name to incite another conversation about this guy, which had to be baiting me at this point. And here we are again, talking about him. And I didn't start this time! I know I should probably not fall for the bait anymore.

By the way, Lundqvist belongs in the HOF!

Yeah but the problem is you can get way too focused on his past performance when it isn’t exactly relevant.

End of the day he is only the backup. If he can fill in for our starter occasionally and help us win games, that is all that matters.

Right now he is doing that.

I am not a big fan of starting him again but I get the logic of the hot hand and it won’t hurt Cory to rest up one more day. He might have something nagging him too or who knows that rouge stick last night caused a minor issue.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Cory's first year here he had a 1.97 GAA and a .921 SV%. Marty's was 2.51 with a .901 SV%. Surely it was Marty's magical powers that was getting him wins and not pure chance. Kinkaid is getting wins because of pure chance too. You give up over 3 goals a game over the course of a full season, you won't win much.

Ha! See, now that line of my post WAS baiting. Can't believe your faith in your numbers describing play. Like a cult. Won't continue down this path as a mod will be around the corner...

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
At the same time the usual suspects need to stop trying to provoke Bleed into a response. Yoi are baiting and trying to mess with him because you disagree with him.

All of you are taking this goalie thing beyond productive debate and turning it into pointless bickering that is detailing other topics of conversation.

Basically knock it off. We don’t need nightly Keith and Cory rants and fights.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Ha! See, now that line of my post WAS baiting. Can't believe your faith in your numbers describing play. Like a cult. Won't continue down this path as a mod will be around the corner...
This isn't some obscure set of statistics lmao. The goalie is responsible for not allowing goals in the back of the net. They cannot score goals. If a goalie is getting more wins while giving up more than a half a goal more per game than the other guy, they are winning by pure chance.

I would say the people who appear to be in a cult are the ones who deny objective reality and trust feels over reals.

Reactions: Bleedred

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I wasn't aware that he was still sick when I saw that tweet.

I didn't see this talked about last night, but Cory took an accidental stick from Orpik last night while sitting on the bench. The NBC post game showed it happening, not even sure if the Devils feed caught that, but I heard the Caps feed did.

To be fair they did make it sound like he was better yesterday, just needed to eat and practice. So either it’s a relapse (lol) or they were fibbing.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
To be fair they did make it sound like he was better yesterday, just needed to eat and practice. So either it’s a relapse (lol) or they were fibbing.
I saw some quote where he said he woke up not feeling well.

Hopefully he's ready for one of those two games early in the week.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As fans of a team that has been blessed with little to complain about in goal for 24 years or so, we bicker an awful lot about the position.
I don't know dude, 05-07 Clemmensen, Terreri 2.0, (and technically 3.0 after we got him back from Minnesota after the expansion draft) they were pretty bad. As bad as they were, that was barely 50 games worth over 5 combined seasons.

Reactions: GameSeven

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Problem is Keith giving up 3 goals a game is a significant improvement over Cory's last 5 games.

Reactions: MartyOwns

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Problem is Keith giving up 3 goals a game is a significant improvement over Cory's last 5 games.
I don't have an issue with Keith playing especially since Cory still seems to be sick. He gave up one bad one last night, but he's been decent in two straight.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Just wanted to touch on this hit of sorts from Noesen last night. In light of body checks being finished significantly diminishing over the past several seasons, it was nice to see one from him

Reactions: mtnet

kiwidevil

Yeah Cory has been very poor lately. Isn't it 5+ games of allowing 4+ a game?
This sickness has probably come at a good time for everyone.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
ehhhh now i'm a little worried about tomorrow. can't we just strap a diaper on cory and get him out there?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
the 2nd goal last night absolutely HAS To be stopped...no ifs, ands, or buts.

the 3rd goal was fairly weak as well, if we're being completely honest

Where I sat last night was directly on the angle that Kinkaid saw. There's absolutely no way he saw that puck.

The only way I'd hold him to fault for that goal is that it went through his arm/body, but I have a feeling that was intentional by Kinkaid to try and take away as much net as possible given he was screened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->