Value of: Cap space

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I remember a few years ago Burke was discussing the idea of trading cap space. It was a really interesting concept to me and something I think the NHLPA should be pushing. Essentially we are seeing a lack of cap space really squeeze current UFAs and I wonder what teams like Ottawa could move space for?

Could you get a 1st round pick for 5 million in cap space? What would that do to the competitiveness of markets that have a hard time attracting UFAs and keeping their players once they hit UFA.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
While in theory, being able to trade cap space is great - especially for players since it means more available $$ to actually be used.. I dont see the owners agreeing with it, especially ones not from one of the major markets. It will basically go against one of the reasonings for a salary cap in which a team could just "buy" cap space and be able to out spend other teams.

Reactions: Guitpik

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
You can’t trade ca space.

You can pass through a player with retention

You also can’t rrade a player then loan him back.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You can’t trade ca space.

You can pass through a player with retention

You also can’t rrade a player then loan him back.
Yes I know you can't do it now, just thought it would be an interesting concept. If a team like Tampa could move their 1st for cap space to retain guys like Sergachev and Cirelli I'm sure they would at least look at it. It's a way for the less attractive markets to compete with the Vegas and Tampas of the world long term. Otherwise warm weather, no state tax teams have a significant competitive advantage.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
While in theory, being able to trade cap space is great - especially for players since it means more available $$ to actually be used.. I dont see the owners agreeing with it, especially ones not from one of the major markets. It will basically go against one of the reasonings for a salary cap in which a team could just "buy" cap space and be able to out spend other teams.
Yeah all that would happen would be big market teams like Toronto, New York, and Montreal buying capspace with their bigger financial capacity and thereby make for an uneven playing field.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
I remember a few years ago Burke was discussing the idea of trading cap space. It was a really interesting concept to me and something I think the NHLPA should be pushing. Essentially we are seeing a lack of cap space really squeeze current UFAs and I wonder what teams like Ottawa could move space for?

Could you get a 1st round pick for 5 million in cap space? What would that do to the competitiveness of markets that have a hard time attracting UFAs and keeping their players once they hit UFA.
NHL has cut down on big market teams taking advantage by using $ muscle. No way will they allow the Leafs and Rangers to buy cap space from cheap owners like Eugene.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->