Salary Cap: Cap Space For Sale

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
To take on a heavy contract, my guess is PD will look for vets that can still play and fill a role despite being overpaid. Who would fit that mold? I see us taking an asset for that but don’t see us doing a pure buyout. Plus I’m sure we’ll throw in a 2nd round pick.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
We should be all over a package for Colin Miller, Gusev and Clarkson.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We should be wont be......EM wont spend a dime over the cap we should all know this by now....Besides we have picked superstars and dont need any extra picks....

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I wonder if Vegas would consider moving Tuch as well.

He would be such an amazing get for this team.

Tuch, Miller, Clarkson for Ceci, Chlapik, Lajoie,

Vegas also has Holden abs Haula that eat up 5 million in cap combined and are on 1 year deals.

Lots of options for them.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We should trade Ceci and Anderson for whatever we can get, then take on as many bad short-term deals as possible in exchange for assets.

That's what a smart GM would do in our shoes. Have to take advantage of our cap situation.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You know the more I think about it, the more I think this wasn't that great a deal for Carolina. For $4 million, the cost of the Marleau buyout, the Canes could go get themselves a mid-range free agent who could help them right now as opposed to five years from now (if in fact the pick ever pans out.)

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
If I was Dorion I would have outbid the canes on Marleau by taking a top 15 protection instead of top 10. Sucks to miss out on a late 1st.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We should trade Ceci and Anderson for whatever we can get, then take on as many bad short-term deals as possible in exchange for assets.

That's what a smart GM would do in our shoes. Have to take advantage of our cap situation.

The problem is that we have no idea what direction PD was given from EM & whether he can even take on more money. EM has said before that they intend on being at the cap floor this yr & that certainly seems to be the road they are on & will only sign any new players or UFAs that get as close to the floor as possible without going too much over. While I agree with you that would be a wise move, my own guess is that this owner does not want to spend more money just to get more picks when they may think they have plenty. From an outside perspective it just looks like they are going to build this team through the next three to five drafts (this past one included) along with the number of good young prospects they already have & hope they end up with a cup contender. The entire team could be under 30 yrs old at that point & contending for a cup.

It's been nothing short of a rocky start to this rebuild, the draft didn't help & we won't know for a while if these were terrible picks or they actually knew what they were doing. Regardless of what happens next season, I assume that they will continue to stockpile picks & prospects, continue to make small deals & build a cup contender. I imagine in 5 yrs this rebuild will have been a success or a dismal failure & a new GM will have to come in & rebuild it again. Time will tell but I am slightly optimistic regardless of this GM & owner that they could still end up with a very good team, if they can keep most of these guys together, if a number of them reach their potential & if this owner spends more as the team gets better. I guess we'll have to wait & see.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Our cap space is only for sale if it doesn't cost Melnyk any real money.

Melnyk wants results with no money down. If we can make a deal to get a first and a top of the line prospect but it will mean shelling out 4-6 million plus to roster a player or buy him out... foget abat it.
tenor.gif

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Vegas is going to have to give away a very useful roster player for free - there's no getting around it. Further, they would no doubt vastly prefer to give that player to an Eastern Conference team. As one of the few Eastern Conference teams with cap space, we should be right at the front of the line. Give them a second back and we'll take Tuch, thank you very much...
They aren't giving up Tuch. He signed for a very team friendly deal, they need him to stay.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
This is the first offseason where multiple teams are in serious cap trouble. You would hope we could take advantage of the situation was we 'rebuild'.

We'll see. Three teams have had major progress in resolving their issues and we weren't involved in any of them. Not a good start.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I dunno. I’m really not a fan of taking on bad contracts for extra picks. If people think that’s cheap of the team, I disagree. I would not have agreed to that Carolina deal if I owned the team either. For all of EM’s faults (there are lots) I don’t feel like this is a bad directive (if in fact he ever gave the directive to not buy draft picks with bad contracts / buyouts).

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The Carolina - Toronto trade is an example of an owner puting his money where his mouth is, there has been ample opportunity over several years for this club to pull off something similar and they have not. The current owner has unfortunately set unrealistic expectations with some of the fan base who took him at his word and don't realize he is not financially capable of running a competitive sports team and certainly not capable of buying picks with real money ect...

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Now I'm not a cap expert by any means, so someone that is can correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but I think the best course of action for Dorion would be to do something like the following:

Trade Ceci and Anderson for whatever we can get (should get a couple picks at the very least)

Leaves 46.75M in cap for the following roster:

Tkachuk - Tierney - Ryan
Duclair - ?????? - Batherson
Smith - ?????? - Boedker
Chlapik - Pageau - Balcers
??????

Chabot - DeMelo
Boro - Brannstrom
??????? - Jaros
Harpur

Nilsson
Condon

Need about 15M to hit the floor

- Acquire Luongo (5.33M) and Clarkson (5.25M) as LTIR contracts = 10.5M cap next year
- Spend around 6-7M on the remaining 4 roster spots (let's say White at 3M, Spezza at 2M, Wolanin at 1M, Gibbons at 0.75M)

End result?

Tkachuk - Tierney - Ryan
Duclair - White - Batherson
Smith - Spezza - Boedker
Chlapik - Pageau - Balcers
Gibbons

Chabot - DeMelo
Boro - Brannstrom
Wolanin - Jaros
Harpur

Nilsson
Condon

LTIR: Luongo, Clarkson, Gaborik, MacArthur

Total cap hit for that roster? Slightly above the cap floor (61.5M)

Total salary for next season for that roster? 43M + whatever insurance doesn't cover for Luongo, Clarkson, Gaborik and MacArthur

If Dorion is smart, he could pick up a couple nice assets from Florida and Vegas (given what Marleau went for) for taking on Luongo and Clarkson as LTIR contracts and in the process save Melnyk a ton of money, which I've heard is his job.

Yeah the team will suck next season, but that will happen no matter what Dorion does over the next couple weeks. In fact, bottoming out would be ideal in a year that has numerous high-end talents like Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond and Holtz.

That's what a smart GM would do.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You know the more I think about it, the more I think this wasn't that great a deal for Carolina. For $4 million, the cost of the Marleau buyout, the Canes could go get themselves a mid-range free agent who could help them right now as opposed to five years from now (if in fact the pick ever pans out.)

Spending 4M is easily worth a 1st round pick just on the basis of saving money in the future when you consider that it could potentially end up being a young stud like Chabot or White playing 3YRs on an ELC contract for under 1M.

How much will we have saved by paying Chabot well under 3M for his first 3 seasons in the league compared to if we had to sign a comparable player as a UFA? I'd say at least 10-15M.

Even if the pick ends up not making a difference while on the 3YR ELC, you still get said player on an RFA contract (little bargaining power) for years afterwards, which can mean savings of millions compared to paying a comparable UFA.

Now for Carolina, a team that's actually trying to make the playoffs, you can make the argument that throwing a 4M contract at a UFA would help the team more than using that 4M to get a 1st, but this argument doesn't apply to us, as we are just trying to hit the cap floor and aren't going to be anywhere near the playoffs, which is why Marleau's contract could have actually been an asset to us, and easily worth pulling the trigger on to get a 1st next year. Dorion failed in his job by not doing so.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I dunno. I’m really not a fan of taking on bad contracts for extra picks. If people think that’s cheap of the team, I disagree. I would not have agreed to that Carolina deal if I owned the team either. For all of EM’s faults (there are lots) I don’t feel like this is a bad directive (if in fact he ever gave the directive to not buy draft picks with bad contracts / buyouts).

It's not a bad contract for us though. If Dorion was smart and decided to deal Ceci and Anderson to whoever for whatever, he could have used Marleau's 6.25M cap hit to hit the floor, which could have actually saved Melnyk money, considering it would only cost 4M in salary to do so.

Could have been a free 1st round pick for us. Missed opportunity.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Why would they give us the same deal they gave Carolina?

Didn't have to be the same deal. Even if the deal included additional protections for the pick (say full protection should TOR miss the playoffs) or us throwing a small asset Toronto's way, it would have been a huge win for us and a win for Toronto.

I think Dubas is smart enough to realize that getting a worse deal by making it with a team outside the division is stupid. Wish our management felt the same.

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
It's not a bad contract for us though. If Dorion was smart and decided to deal Ceci and Anderson to whoever for whatever, he could have used Marleau's 6.25M cap hit to hit the floor, which could have actually saved Melnyk money, considering it would only cost 4M in salary to do so.

Could have been a free 1st round pick for us. Missed opportunity.
We better be in on the players who have insured contracts, because there's no excuse from a cash perspective to not try and get those guys.

I don't see the Marleau thing as a missed opportunity because it's incredibly clear we aren't buying someone out, unless the guy was willing to accept Canadian Tire gift cards and free roadside assistance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->