CAP situation: Please get under the cap!!!

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Here is the latest cap situation league wide: Tomorrow is the deadline to fix, fyi.

I'll import lines later today so everyone can see if they're under

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 11.55.18.png

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Just looking at the numbers, I don't know if we have enough teams with cap to take on contracts. Is it possible to institute another buyout window for a special case scenario like this or is that too much of a competitive disadvantage for the clubs not impacted who planned better? we have some teams DEEP in the red here.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Or potentially have some trades where we absorb half the cap hit deducted from our funds for players that go on waivers so teams are incentivized to take problematic contracts? I'm not sure there's an easy answer, but I don't see how anyone is going to clear $10 million plus when so few teams have room to take on even one more contract.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Or potentially have some trades where we absorb half the cap hit deducted from our funds for players that go on waivers so teams are incentivized to take problematic contracts? I'm not sure there's an easy answer, but I don't see how anyone is going to clear $10 million plus when so few teams have room to take on even one more contract.
Just looking at the numbers, I don't know if we have enough teams with cap to take on contracts. Is it possible to institute another buyout window for a special case scenario like this or is that too much of a competitive disadvantage for the clubs not impacted who planned better? we have some teams DEEP in the red here.

We discussed the buyout window. But that would be unfair to teams who have already done their work and often given up assets to move players.

Some teams are $10m over because they haven't submitted lines while some are in trouble.

Others seem to think they're under the cap but they're over. Waivers may help some teams, we'll see.

Otherwise, teams better hustle and find those GM's with cap space and pay them to solve the problems. Tick Tick!

EDIT: There is still a lot of cap space out there. The Canes, Blackhawks, Knights, Islanders, Oilers, Kraken, Penguins have $90m in cap space between them.

Last edited:

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
We discussed the buyout window. But that would be unfair to teams who have already done their work and often given up assets to move players.

Some teams are $10m over because they haven't submitted lines while some are in trouble.

Others seem to think they're under the cap but they're over. Waivers may help some teams, we'll see.

Otherwise, teams better hustle and find those GM's with cap space and pay them to solve the problems. Tick Tick!

EDIT: There is still a lot of cap space out there. The Canes, Blackhawks, Knights, Islanders, Oilers, Kraken, Penguins have $90m in cap space between them.
I know it is non of my business as it doesn’t impact me but I don’t think David Krejic ratings is justified here and or SJ being forced to carry his cap and salary makes sense to me. This is very unrealistic compared to actual NHL situation. I think SJ should be allowed to release him or Krejic should be given a decent ratings based on his life time achievements or some other formula. Just my two cents

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
I think pretty much every team can get close to under the cap by just getting to 20 players and using waivers. For those who can't, as noted, there is cap space to be had.

I will say though, it would have been nice to have the Oilers responding while teams tried to meet the required deadline - Argh!

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I know it is non of my business as it doesn’t impact me but I don’t think David Krejic ratings is justified here and or SJ being forced to carry his cap and salary makes sense to me. This is very unrealistic compared to actual NHL situation. I think SJ should be allowed to release him or Krejic should be given a decent ratings based on his life time achievements or some other formula. Just my two cents

For sure - however at the current moment that is not the rules. SJ has worked it out though.

I think pretty much every team can get close to under the cap by just getting to 20 players and using waivers. For those who can't, as noted, there is cap space to be had.

I will say though, it would have been nice to have the Oilers responding while teams tried to meet the required deadline - Argh!

Yeah - we've had really bad luck with that Oilers GM position lately. The last GM barely lasted 24 hours. He said he was an experience SimonT GM but then got lost when we mentioned he needed the client program. Sooo?????

Some teams, even with 20 players, cannot get under the cap without moving salary off the rosters. They were not prepared for the new rule and in fact, even today, I'm still telling GM's about the new rule - they seem to have missed it.

It's all good - we're only missing one team now who is not dealing with their issue. A few more are over the cap but they're working the wires.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad