Cap related questions

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Management has stated they are aiming for Chara to return by December 11th. How much LTIR space will have accrued during the time Chara is out? Also, do we have to use that space before Chara returns?

I have us projected for ~3 mil in space for the deadline, I'm just curious if anyone has the exact numbers in front of them.

member 96824

Have to use the space AFTER Chara returns. When Chara returns, they have to fit him under the real cap. If they went out and acquired a player right now, they'd still run into the issues of that.

Not the overage cap, but the real hard number. As of right now, I believe they've accrued about 4M in overage, should be close to 5 by the time Chara gets back. An exact number...I'm not sure if anyone truly has it outside of the front office, they complicate these things way too much :laugh:. We'll get more relief from McQuaid as well as I'd assume he'll be out long enough to qualify for LTIR.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I think LTIR can be done retroactively - I'm assuming that's the reason Chara has been placed on LTIR. Pretty sure it has to be a bona-fide, doctor's-note type of injury, which shouldn't be a problem.

However, I think LTIR also has to be consecutive for 10 games, 24 days. I'm not sure if it's a "10 and 24" or a "10 or 24". Either way, since Krejci played against STL on 11/18, that would mean he'd have to miss at least the OTT game on 12/13/14. (Actually, I think 24 days comes right before OTT - but OTT is the tenth game.)

Either way, I suppose they may retroactively LTIR him if he's not ready to go for the Hawks game. It kind of makes you rethink the idea that we needed Boychuk for cap space....although I suppose his salary gave us plenty of room to maneuver and get some looks at some P-Bruins.

member 96824

What about Krejci? Is he on the LTIR and are we accuring that money as well?

I think LTIR can be done retroactively - I'm assuming that's the reason Chara has been placed on LTIR. Pretty sure it has to be a bona-fide, doctor's-note type of injury, which shouldn't be a problem.

However, I think LTIR also has to be consecutive for 10 games, 24 days. I'm not sure if it's a "10 and 24" or a "10 or 24". Either way, since Krejci played against STL on 11/18, that would mean he'd have to miss at least the OTT game on 12/13/14. (Actually, I think 24 days comes right before OTT - but OTT is the tenth game.)

Either way, I suppose they may retroactively LTIR him if he's not ready to go for the Hawks game. It kind of makes you rethink the idea that we needed Boychuk for cap space....although I suppose his salary gave us plenty of room to maneuver and get some looks at some P-Bruins.

Yeah LTIR can be done retro, which is why they waited on Chara, but get the full credit anyways.

Krejci's just on regular IR for the time being, if things don't improve and like you said, he meets those minimum requirements, they'll LTIR him...which has no implications of those are already met. You could be put on LTIR retroactively and return the next day.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Have to use the space AFTER Chara returns. When Chara returns, they have to fit him under the real cap. If they went out and acquired a player right now, they'd still run into the issues of that.

Not the overage cap, but the real hard number. As of right now, I believe they've accrued about 4M in overage, should be close to 5 by the time Chara gets back. An exact number...I'm not sure if anyone truly has it outside of the front office, they complicate these things way too much :laugh:. We'll get more relief from McQuaid as well as I'd assume he'll be out long enough to qualify for LTIR.

We had a similar discussion in another thread.

My understanding is that you can use the money on LTIR to replace the player on LTIR, but you don't "accrue" it.

In fact, if you use part of it, you're right at the top of the cap, and any bonuses gained during the season will put you over the cap (which is possible for bonuses) and that excess will be taken away from next year cap.

I'm open to be convinced otherwise, but I'm almost 100% sure my explanations are correct.

member 96824

We had a similar discussion in another thread.

My understanding is that you can use the money on LTIR to replace the player on LTIR, but you don't "accrue" it.

In fact, if you use part of it, you're right at the top of the cap, and any bonuses gained during the season will put you over the cap (which is possible for bonuses) and that excess will be taken away from next year cap.

I'm open to be convinced otherwise, but I'm almost 100% sure my explanations are correct.

I had to ask clarification as well, because I was reading it the same way.

Dom pointed me to 2011, when Marco Sturm, despite not playing a game with the Bruins, and being traded in order to make room for Savard's return...the B's got LTIR credit for his 65 roster days.

If there was no cap advantage to putting players on LTIR mid season, you wouldn't see it unless the player was out the rest of the year.

You're correct on the bonus's though sort of. Bonus's can't be paid with LTIR money...so that number comes from the hard cap regardless. Last year for example, B's still had room on LTIR after the deadline, however..they were right up against the cap and therefore bonus money carried over.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I had to ask clarification as well, because I was reading it the same way.

Dom pointed me to 2011, when Marco Sturm, despite not playing a game with the Bruins, and being traded in order to make room for Savard's return...the B's got LTIR credit for his 65 roster days.

And Dom never lies

http://capgeek.com/bruins/archive/?year_id=2010

Savard the same situation that year.

The money doesn't accrue as regular cap space does throughout the year ie $2 million today is $6 million on TDL. It just remains at $2 million. It doesn't disappear.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad