Cap Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazing_oilers

Dec 3, 2003
If a player is traded at the trade deadline, is his entire years salary counted towards the cap, or just what's remaining on his contract. Sorry if this has already been posted, I read for along time and couldn't find an answer posted already. I'm wondering if a team added Weight at the deadline if his full 5.7 mill would count, or just the remaining portion.

Thanks.

The Fuhr*

Just whats left on the contract is counted against the cap.

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
amazing_oilers said:
If a player is traded at the trade deadline, is his entire years salary counted towards the cap, or just what's remaining on his contract. Sorry if this has already been posted, I read for along time and couldn't find an answer posted already. I'm wondering if a team added Weight at the deadline if his full 5.7 mill would count, or just the remaining portion.

Thanks.

Hhahahha. This question is related to a debate you're having on CP right?

http://www.calgarypuck.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19353&page=3

Anyway. I've been following and reading the thread. I think you and JiriHridna are basically saying the same thing but using different words thus the confusion.

The remaining salary is calculated on a daily basis based on the entire year's amount pro-rated to the number of games remaining.

amazing_oilers

Dec 3, 2003
albertGQ said:
Hhahahha. This question is related to a debate you're having on CP right?

http://www.calgarypuck.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19353&page=3

Anyway. I've been following and reading the thread. I think you and JiriHridna are basically saying the same thing but using different words thus the confusion.

The remaining salary is calculated on a daily basis based on the entire year's amount pro-rated to the number of games remaining.

That's not what he's saying, he's saying the ENTIRE amount goes against the cap, I'm saying the remaining amount.

JiriHrdina

Jul 8, 2005
amazing_oilers said:
That's not what he's saying, he's saying the ENTIRE amount goes against the cap, I'm saying the remaining amount.

Well hello, fancy seeing you here. :D

I thought this would be a good place to ask the question as well, as I admit I am a little confused myself now.

However, the way you asked the question is a little misleading. The issue at hand is not whether the full salary counts against the total cap number, but how they calculate the daily number that's been discussed. My understanding is that the NHL calculated a daily number for each team based on the salaries on the team, and that no team can be above the daily cap number.

I seem to recall hearing how this will severely limit the ability for teams to rent-a-player at the deadline.

I might be wrong, this is as good a place as any to ask for clarification.

amazing_oilers

Dec 3, 2003
Thanks. I did find this thread on here showing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD
In "proposal" boards on various forums I often see people suggesting that picking up, say, a $4, 000, 000 player at midseason will only count as $2, 000, 000 towards said team's salary cap. Does anyone know if this is true? I would figure that their cap number does not change as the season progresses, but I have seen people suggest otherwise enough times to think that they may have seen something in writing that I have not. Any help is appreciated; thank you.

I specifically asked that question to Doug Wilson and Greg Jaimeson (GM and CEO/Owner of the Sharks): If a team trades for a $4M player with 20 games (1/4 season) left in the season, is the cap hit for the new team $1M or $4M, and can a team with only $1M cap room make that trade. The answers were $1M and yes.

Fugu

What adds to the confusion is how a player's entire contract is viewed.

I believe that a guy can be paid $4, $5 and $6 million for years 1, 2, and 3 respectively. His team takes the average value of the contract [$5 million] as the cap hit per year. Now, he will be paid $4 million in year 1, but his team has to have space for $5 million in year 1 as well as years 2-3.

However the new team would have to absorb 1/4 of $4 million if he is traded with a quarter of a year remaining....but what about the average value of the contract over its lifetime? Obviously, if a guy is in his last year, the point is moot.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
A team could save a few bucks by trading for a player who's played 62 games when they have only played 59 games? When do these guys get paid? Weekly, bi-weekly, bi-monthly? I'll have to look at the old CBA, I am sure that this hasn't changed.

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
AdmiralPred said:
A team could save a few bucks by trading for a player who's played 62 games when they have only played 59 games? When do these guys get paid? Weekly, bi-weekly, bi-monthly? I'll have to look at the old CBA, I am sure that this hasn't changed.

I don't have an answer to your first question but the do get paid semi-monthly (twice a month).

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
albertGQ said:
I don't have an answer to your first question but the do get paid semi-monthly (twice a month).
Then that would probably wipe out my first question. And I ment semi-monthly in my original post. ;)

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
AdmiralPred said:

Not really.....a players salary is based on how many days he is on the active roster. Not the amount of games played.

The season is 200 days from opening day to the end of the regular season. So if a players contract is for $1 million then his cap amount is $5,000/day. If he is traded 125 days into the season then the remaining 75 days or $375,000 would be the cap hit for his new team.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
Fugu said:
What adds to the confusion is how a player's entire contract is viewed.

I believe that a guy can be paid $4, $5 and $6 million for years 1, 2, and 3 respectively. His team takes the average value of the contract [$5 million] as the cap hit per year. Now, he will be paid $4 million in year 1, but his team has to have space for $5 million in year 1 as well as years 2-3.

However the new team would have to absorb 1/4 of $4 million if he is traded with a quarter of a year remaining....but what about the average value of the contract over its lifetime? Obviously, if a guy is in his last year, the point is moot.

Actually no matter who has the players contract the average will remain constant. For example....If the player makes $4, $5 then $6 million for years 1, 2, and 3 like you said then his cap hit will be $5 million for the entire length of the contract no matter who is in possession of that player. So if the player is traded in his third year the team acquiring him would have to pay him $6 million in actual wages but the players cap hit would still only be $5 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad