Speculation: Cap Question - Nazem Kadri

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Hey all quick question for those that might know?

I still think trading Naz is a possibility, even though I appreciate the value he brings (downside too).
There are bound to be ALOT of teams that would be interested in a solid #2c with a 4.5 cap hit.

So I was looking at cap friendly and it looks like 2 million of his salary is signing bonus, but it doesn't mention dates.
Would we assume this 2 million happens tomorrow like any other bonuses? Is that automatic?

Just wondering... if so, it means after tomorrow he is signed for 3 more years, but 2 million paid (tomorrow) means his total salary/cost after tomorrow is 11.5 for 3 years? Gotta be even more enticing for teams hunting big fish in UFA/trades,.. a very solid and cost-effective second option?

I realize we'd still have to pay for a decent 3rd line C, but I think a better pure shutdown C would be more beneficial and a bit cheaper. And I truly believe we could get a decent little boatload in return, especially after the bonus payout.

upload_2019-6-30_18-39-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-30_18-38-45.png
    upload_2019-6-30_18-38-45.png
    17 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: teddygmr

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
With Horton on IR the leafs have about 10.8M in cap space currently. The Zaitsev trade will probably be a wash in cap hit but it gives the leafs some flexibility.

Marner will probably end up signing for about 10.8M or thereabouts. That leaves basically nothing for the necessary RHD on the back end.

The only way the leafs can replace Hainsey or sign Hainsey is by trading a forward with a cap hit over 4M. Basically Kadri or Nylander. Otherwise they start the season with Holl and Liljegren on the right side.

It sounds like there’s more interest in Kadri around the league so he’s likely to go. Babcock would have to accept Nylander as the 3rd line center which may not sit well.

They could force a Nylander deal but the return is questionable.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Kadri isn't moving. We're getting a league minimum guy. Dubas basically has already said this.

And Nylander isn't going anywhere. Dubas told Nylander that, although he wouldn't give him an NTC, he promised he wouldn't trade him while he was the GM.

Finally, Dermott is also going on LTIR. And Zaitsev's $4.5m will be gone tomorrow.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Hey all quick question for those that might know?

I still think trading Naz is a possibility, even though I appreciate the value he brings (downside too).
There are bound to be ALOT of teams that would be interested in a solid #2c with a 4.5 cap hit.

So I was looking at cap friendly and it looks like 2 million of his salary is signing bonus, but it doesn't mention dates.
Would we assume this 2 million happens tomorrow like any other bonuses? Is that automatic?

Just wondering... if so, it means after tomorrow he is signed for 3 more years, but 2 million paid (tomorrow) means his total salary/cost after tomorrow is 11.5 for 3 years? Gotta be even more enticing for teams hunting big fish in UFA/trades,.. a very solid and cost-effective second option?

I realize we'd still have to pay for a decent 3rd line C, but I think a better pure shutdown C would be more beneficial and a bit cheaper. And I truly believe we could get a decent little boatload in return, especially after the bonus payout.

View attachment 241589
Actually just looked deeper and this contract was a bit front loaded, so actual salary owed after this payout is only 10.5 for the next 3 years.

2 time 30 goal scoring agitating center for 3 years 10.5 total.

VERY attractive contract indeed should net a HUGE return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad