Rumor: Cap Projections For the Next 5 Years

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
This is a rumor of what the cap could look like in the next five years. Wow.

We'll see deals like Holik's come to surface again. What do you think about all of this?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Wow. That will make bidding for free agents nuts. That is a ton of cap room to spend.

We've lost a cumulative 2 hockey seasons for what reason?

Is what my mind always goes back to.

Yeah, the cap spiraling out of control that people kept mentioning seems like it is just getting worse. $103 million cap is insane.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
That's supposed to be conservative? Either every team in the NHL has massive spikes in revenue during this time, or there will be another lockout. $100 mil salary cap on a 23 man roster is almost $4.5 million/player. This season it'd be $2.8 mil/player. That's obscene.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Also worth noting that if the cap spirals like that, recapture penalties will make up very little of a team's cap space. As long as you have an ELC or two on the roster, recapture penalties won't be a huge problem.

I would still like to avoid those penalties if possible.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
The Wings will give raises and overpay for their own players. No big time free agent is coming here. It will just allow Kenny to keep the Country Club prosperous.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
We've lost a cumulative 2 hockey seasons for what reason?

Is what my mind always goes back to.

Exactly. As a diehard fan, the memory of the two seasons that we've missed is still very fresh and makes absolutly no sense now that the cap will go up almost 100% more.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
This is a rumor of what the cap could look like in the next five years. Wow.

We'll see deals like Holik's come to surface again. What do you think about all of this?

From a business perspective. This seems all good.

I have no problem with this… but

Where does the HRR (hockey related revenue) come from?
Mostly TV deals? If the TV deals pay each team an extra 50Million in gross profit, then players asking for 25Mil of that is just fine to me.

If these include increases in ticket prices that are 2-3x inflation… then I would speculate that the estimations are off.

If more money is made by the league without making ticket prices insane. I am ok with it. The people playing the salaries would mostly be general electric, budweiser, Labatts, etc etc for advertising.

Remember, if you have a BAD year in HRR. THe cap goes DOWN. This is just business.
Long term deals in an inflationary period are good. For the most part, long deals like Zetterbergs/Franzens may be even stronger, under such a period

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
So given these projections, we will have $18,650,455 to spend on 6 roster spots for next season. Thats a good thing. Hopefully Kenny spends it wisely.

Rael

Dec 28, 2012
Vienna
Wow. That will make bidding for free agents nuts. That is a ton of cap room to spend.

Yeah, the cap spiraling out of control that people kept mentioning seems like it is just getting worse. $103 million cap is insane.

To me, the cap floor is even more insane. There are just a couple of teams that would really spend up to $100 million I think. However, if every team needs to spend more than $75 million, LOL...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Extra amount of Winter Classics with 500 dollar average ticket prices are one money source for that growth. This new TV deal was another. Moving Atlanta to Winnipeg was another. Adding Quebec and Seattle in the future will be another. Lowering players share was one key element to control expenses. It's just boom times ahead. Nothing crazy.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It forces you to do better business or re-locate.

Eh, Bettman gave us two lockouts due to bowing down to the Atlantas, Phoenixs, Floridas and the Nashvilles of the league. He's going to have to kill the geese that lay the golden eggs to get a floor that is amendable to the teams in the worst financial shape: move Toronto to Memphis, move Montreal to San Antonio, move Vancouver to Orlando. Good luck with that! :laugh:

The sooner we kill off the ****** franchises or force them to move to real hockey markets, the better. It's really that simple.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
@DarrenDreger
2014-2015 NHL salary cap projection delivered at Board of Governors meeting.Upwards of $71 million next season. CDN TV rights also ratified.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
The salary cap is tied to revenue, right? So why is this a bad thing? A 100 million dollar salary cap would mean that the league would be doing extremely well... Don't see how that's a problem.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The salary cap is tied to revenue, right? So why is this a bad thing? A 100 million dollar salary cap would mean that the league would be doing extremely well... Don't see how that's a problem.

Because there's not much reason to believe it's more than just wishful thinking.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Probably too high. I really think another lockout is bound. So many crazy things going on year after year. First it was 15 year contracts, and now you're average player is making upwards to 5M.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Because the revenue isn't being generated (or shared) equally across the league. the more rapidly the cap escalates, the more a handful of clubs (5-10 would be my guess) will have an increasingly difficult time keeping up with the cap/salary increases while trying to remain somewhat close to profitability.

If the revenue was shared more equally, or if it was generated by more evenly across the league, it wouldn't be a bad thing. My impression, though, is that the increased league revenue is really being driven by around 10 clubs.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Where does the HRR (hockey related revenue) come from?
Mostly TV deals? If the TV deals pay each team an extra 50Million in gross profit, then players asking for 25Mil of that is just fine to me.

Bingo.

Plus those extra winter classics are money making factories.

Number 9*

Exactly. As a diehard fan, the memory of the two seasons that we've missed is still very fresh and makes absolutly no sense now that the cap will go up almost 100% more.

It's all based on projected revenue! In other words what YOU pay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->