Salary Cap: Cap officially set at 73M

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Official cap esculation! Better than cap speculation thread earlier where everyone was harping that it couldn't possibly go up.

I knew it wouldn't spiral down. Cowen still hasn't been bought out, so more space coming there also.

We are in nice shape. All this positive news is kind of overwhelming lately. A number 1 goalie yesterday, a number 1 center coming friday and lots of cap space still. Potential for even more space in the works.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Official cap esculation! Better than cap speculation thread earlier where everyone was harping that it couldn't possibly go up.

I knew it wouldn't spiral down. Cowen still hasn't been bought out, so more space coming there also.

We are in nice shape. All this positive news is kind of overwhelming lately. A number 1 goalie yesterday, a number 1 center coming friday and lots of cap space still. Potential for even more space in the works.

Actually, it did go down, and players with existing contracts effectively took a paycut to raise the nominal cap and allow this year's free agents to sign "fair" deals. (There will be more escrow, with the most likely scenario seeing less of that escrow coming back to the players.)

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
We've been over this in about 30 threads now. When a player like Stamkos is available as a free agent you may have to overpay. Free agency is about going to the highest bidder which means going above the player's alleged true value.

Stamkos is the furthest thing from a need for us now though. He's a luxury, a luxury that will take a significant chunk of our cap space, and has question marks.

Why not save the cap space, stick the the plan and keep building? In a few years we may need the cap space to keep our core together and if for some reason we don't, we keep the cap to sign a UFA RD if we can't address that area of need.

A Stamkos who sucks defensivley and on the draw, isn't a great playmaker, and refuses to play unless he is a center when we have 3 good C's already makes 0 sense.

We are going to ruin our rebuild. We may NEVER get another chance at this if it fails as management will say they tried it. We are at least 1 season away from a playoff spot barring over acheaivements. I think another top 10 pick next year is likely, and after that we'll have slumps and **** the next year which may have another 5-14 range pick.

We can't expect these kids to come in at 18-20 and carry us to the playoffs. We have the players already to shelter them, so why the rush?

THERE IS NO RUSH

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Stamkos is the furthest thing from a need for us now though. He's a luxury, a luxury that will take a significant chunk of our cap space, and has question marks.

Why not save the cap space, stick the the plan and keep building? In a few years we may need the cap space to keep our core together and if for some reason we don't, we keep the cap to sign a UFA RD if we can't address that area of need.

A Stamkos who sucks defensivley and on the draw, isn't a great playmaker, and refuses to play unless he is a center when we have 3 good C's already makes 0 sense.

We are going to ruin our rebuild. We may NEVER get another chance at this if it fails as management will say they tried it. We are at least 1 season away from a playoff spot barring over acheaivements. I think another top 10 pick next year is likely, and after that we'll have slumps and **** the next year which may have another 5-14 range pick.

We can't expect these kids to come in at 18-20 and carry us to the playoffs. We have the players already to shelter them, so why the rush?

THERE IS NO RUSH

the additions of Stamkos and Anderson is building.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Good news for sure.

Hopefully we can get Stammer in too, and this team gets better now and also has an exciting future. Although if we do get him, I really hope it's <10m AAV

If he's coming to Toronto is has to be because he wants to, he wants the challenge of turning us around and he wants the Leaf on his chest. If that's the case then I think it's fair to want a hometown discount. Because that would help in providing a better supporting cast for him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It didn't matter that much to us but it helps.

We still need to trade away Bozak and/or Bernier though if we want to sign Stamkos or significantly improve the roster.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
the additions of Stamkos and Anderson is building.

Andersen makes sense. He fills a huge need and we have nothing like him in the system.

Stamkos is more of the same, will take a lot of cap, and has MAJOR question marks, including his decline in play the last few years, his injury history, and the term he wants?

Remember when this board was SURE we found THE guy with Brad Richards when he was a UFA? Even when the signs were there? Remember when Burke was in the middle east on July 1st and this board nearly melted down because he wasn't signing him?

Yeah, look how that turned out... For the first time ever our cap situation and team situation are good for the future, lets not **** it all up.

GLOO

Jul 8, 2010
Yea, it's not going to fly. His cap hit would be lower than his previous contract. Do you really think the league is stupid? It would be obvious circumvention. It will not end well if any club attempted such a thing. Not well at all. Not worth it.

I am not suggesting the Leafs mgmt are in on it at all. I am just suggesting ....me...as I filthy rich die hard leaf fan - would say to him....." if you come home...and only if you do...I would sign you for this endorsement cause you would be worth so much to me as a Leaf!!" No mention of take less money then!! That way Stamkos can say...no I just took the endorsement cause it is worth it and it's only worth it for them if I am a Leaf.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Actually, it did go down, and players with existing contracts effectively took a paycut to raise the nominal cap and allow this year's free agents to sign "fair" deals. (There will be more escrow, with the most likely scenario seeing less of that escrow coming back to the players.)

Twist it whatever way you want. It went up. I u derstand escrow and the esculator clauses. It didn't go up for yeats now then by that thinking.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Interesting to think that the NHLPA inflated the cap in a year in which Stamkos can set the bar for contract value and some still think he will sign in Toronto for a discount.

there is no discount. $10.5mill AAV is plenty.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Cap is not really a issue, there are some ways to play around it

There is some work to do to clean and tidy up this situation, fortunately much of it is short-term issues.

Hopefully Lou has some tricks up his sleeve.

Leafs plan on playing a lot of rookies so earned bonus in 2016-17 could range in the millions, will need to be factored into this years cap at the end or deferred to next year as cap penalties carried forward. There is a 7% slush fund above the cap ceiling to collect these totals while only their ELC bases count against the cap. However one way or another these bonus will be a part of the regular cap this year or next.

Performance bonuses are fairly strictly-defined. They're automatically counted as "earned" for cap space consideration, but don't have to be paid unless earned. There are two categories of bonuses which can be paid:

1: Individual "A" Bonuses - These are broken into categories like ice time, goals, and plus/minus. Each category has a minimum requirement a team can bonus for (10 goals, for example) and each category may not create more than $215,00 worth of bonuses (you can bonus $100K at 10 goals and then $115K at 15 goals if you want). Total "A" Bonuses can't exceed $850,000.

2: Individual "B" Bonuses - This is kind of a two-part bonus system based on performance comparative to the rest of the league. First off, the league itself will pay the player a bonus outside of his Club-paid salary if he does things like earns a place in the top five for postseason awards like the Hart, Selke, or Vezina; or if he places top ten in the league in offensive/goaltending categories. On top of the league bonuses, the club can pay bonuses of up to $2M to the player for making these awards.

However, players can earn a maximum of up to $3,775,000 from their team thanks to what the CBA calls "Exhibit 5" bonuses (performance bonuses).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad