Salary Cap: Cap officially set at 73M

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Good.

So that bumps us up to roughly 8M in cap space before LTIR.

Stamkos here we come!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Interesting to think that the NHLPA inflated the cap in a year in which Stamkos can set the bar for contract value and some still think he will sign in Toronto for a discount.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Good.

So that bumps us up to roughly 8M in cap space before LTIR.

Stamkos here we come!

which isn't really enough.

we have somewhere around 65 to 67m used already for offseasonal cap hit.

so say 65 -81.4 leaves around 16.4M to sign at least three pending RFA's

which still leaves the team short around 3-4 players.

stamkos rolling in at 8-10M will leave the leafs with zero wiggle room.

not to mention a ton of ELC bonus penalties at the end of the year if we are playing in the LTIR exemption space.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
which isn't really enough.

we have somewhere around 65 to 67m used already for offseasonal cap hit.

so say 65 -81.4 leaves around 16.4M to sign at least three pending RFA's

which still leaves the team short around 3-4 players.

stamkos rolling in at 8-10M will leave the leafs with zero wiggle room.

not to mention a ton of ELC bonus penalties at the end of the year if we are playing in the LTIR exemption space.

The RFA's aren't going to command a huge cap hit, the gaps will be filled with ELCs, players can still be traded and/or sent down for 800K savings. They could also buyout Lupul or Bernier as a last resort if they have to.

It's totally enough to sign Stamkos for ~10m. Plus next season a huge amount of salary comes off the books. Bernier, Robidas, Michalek, Greening, Laich, Hunwick etc. That's like 18.5 million or something.

GLOO

Jul 8, 2010
Back door circumventing Salary cap

I know there is a hard Salary Cap...and it is probably prohibited to offer fringe benefits using soft dollar type benefits (i.e. -- Leafs buying a player a house, cars, nanny services etc...). But let's say...I am a multi billionaire living in Toronto -- and I love the Leafs. What is to stop me from saying to Stamkos..."Come back to Toronto and I will sign you as a special endorser of my product/service etc. I will pay you 20 million dollars for the next 7 years..if you only take a 7 million dollar salary for the next 7 years.

That way...he gets maybe over and above what Leafs might give him; the Leafs have a bigger cap space that will help them sign others for a needed Stanley Cup run. What rules would be there to prevent that??

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
I know there is a hard Salary Cap...and it is probably prohibited to offer fringe benefits using soft dollar type benefits (i.e. -- Leafs buying a player a house, cars, nanny services etc...). But let's say...I am a multi billionaire living in Toronto -- and I love the Leafs. What is to stop me from saying to Stamkos..."Come back to Toronto and I will sign you as a special endorser of my product/service etc. I will pay you 20 million dollars for the next 7 years..if you only take a 7 million dollar salary for the next 7 years.

That way...he gets maybe over and above what Leafs might give him; the Leafs have a bigger cap space that will help them sign others for a needed Stanley Cup run. What rules would be there to prevent that??

the players have to report all endorsements to the league. i guess it's possible but it would be questioned.

GLOO

Jul 8, 2010
Yeah...but they can't tell him we don't like that deal...can they?

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
(d) No Club or Club Actor or Player or Player Actor may commit any act through a third party where, if such activity were attributed to the Club itself, or to the Player himself, as the case may be, it would constitute a Circumvention. Such activities as are, or are attempted to be, carried out by or through third parties that constitute Circumventions shall be treated as if the Circumvention were committed by the Club itself, or the Player himself, as the case may be.

so you'd be asking Stamkos to break the CBA article 26.3 on circumvention.

which could lead to this:

Declare a forfeiture of any NHL Game(s) determined to have been affected by a Circumvention;

still want to risk it?

GLOO

Jul 8, 2010
(d) No Club or Club Actor or Player or Player Actor may commit any act through a third party where, if such activity were attributed to the Club itself, or to the Player himself, as the case may be, it would constitute a Circumvention. Such activities as are, or are attempted to be, carried out by or through third parties that constitute Circumventions shall be treated as if the Circumvention were committed by the Club itself, or the Player himself, as the case may be.

so you'd be asking Stamkos to break the CBA article 26.3 on circumvention.

Wow buddy!!! Where did you pull that from on the net? How did you know how to find that in the CBA? You have to be a lawyer or something

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yea, it's not going to fly. His cap hit would be lower than his previous contract. Do you really think the league is stupid? It would be obvious circumvention. It will not end well if any club attempted such a thing. Not well at all. Not worth it.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Does a lot of cap room next year in a shallow UFA pool not concern anyone? Laich, Bernier, Michalek and Greening alone free up 15 million, if we don't sign Stamkos we're looking at 25 million in space, MSLE isn't going to just sit on that, the alternatives to not signing Stamkos are...... most likely horrifying?

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Stamkos wants to play here. Aslong as we offer him a decent contract, and not lowball him with a 8M/yr contract he will play for Toronto... he's getting atleast 9M+/yr..

Willie Oree

Nov 30, 2010
6-8-5-13
Interesting to think that the NHLPA inflated the cap in a year in which Stamkos can set the bar for contract value and some still think he will sign in Toronto for a discount.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens eh cookie? What is more interesting than this is the amount of people who show up to hundreds of threads to keep trying to hammer home the same point.

We get it, you don't think the Leafs will sign Stamkos now can you let those who actually think there is a small chance live in our dream for one thread?

Willie Oree

Nov 30, 2010
6-8-5-13
Is he a 8 million dollar player now ?
Has he been thhe same player since he broke his leg?

We've been over this in about 30 threads now. When a player like Stamkos is available as a free agent you may have to overpay. Free agency is about going to the highest bidder which means going above the player's alleged true value.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
7 x 7 would never work. That screams blatant circumvention and the league would pour through everything to see where the money is coming from.

You could probably play around in the 8.5M or 9M region (instead of pushing for 10-11M). This way it looks legitimate.

Is it really worth it? I'd venture to say no it's not. Risk of that magnitude is not worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->