Value of: Cap dump

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
There are many types of cap dumps, the overpaid but still efficient NHLer, the LTIR, buyout and more. Sometimes, those players are traded. Last summer, Steve Mason (4.1 x 1y) was dumped with Joel Armia and two picks (4th and 7th IIRC). Arizona got Lawson Crouse because they got Dave Bolland (5.5 x 3y) I think. I'm not exactly sure about the numbers, but still you get the point. I know people here often talks about cap dumps, but are there any charts about the value of a cap dump? I understand everything depend of context and it's subjective since we all value/valued Armia and Crouse differently, but I would like to have your opinion on this topic. Is a 5M$ dump worth a 2nd round pick? If the 5M$ is on a two season deal remaining (2.5 + 2.5), is it worth more/less? And finally, what would your team (or you as a fan) give up for your cap dump?

I didn't want to name-drop potential cap-dump to not derail the thread. So please, keep it respectfully. And I'm sorry if what I write don't makes to much sense, english is not my first language.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
There’s no standard price as ultimately every transaction will come down to how each side values the asset(s) it will gain versus the asset(s) it will lose and how their respective valuations compare with the alternatives provided by the market.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Depends on the team taking the dump.

The average team has to be paid to take on a dump. A team trying to make the floor without paying it will gladly take on guys though.

Hell, Detroit barely had to pay anything to dump Datsyuk's last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad