News Article: Cap Accruals from Taxi Squad info here.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I’m kind of thinking a thread to help understand cap Accrual and taxi squad would be a useful tool if we can all chip in information on the working. I will just start with a article 1 for now and search out others. Key 20-21 Transition Rules | Puckpedia
I
know this one is not much but i will try finding more to link Leafers. There is a “Ask the capologist” option in the link if anyone has time to try that out.

Bonuses Info =Transition Rules - Impact on Mike Smith's Bonuses | Puckpedia

Buried contract = Engvall =Minimum NHL Salary & Buried Cap Hit | Puckpedia

Last edited:

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Basically any player who is waiver exempt could be sent to taxi squad on non game days and not count against the cap. For Leafs someone like Lehtonen could be sent down on none game days saving $7,974 of Cap space each day. season is 116 days with what 56 games so there is possibility to have him available for every game at a cap hit of only 447K 56/116 X 925K salary. The problem with guys on entry levels is that he will only be paid NHL dollars when on active roster as well so while that move saves you $7,974 in Cap space each day you do it, the player gets paid $603 dollars (70K ahl salary over 116 days) in real pay those days instead of 7,974. It saves space but is kind of a dick move in that it takes salary from the lowest paid guys.

Mtl just made this move with Jake Evans after game against Leafs, doesn't hurt him as much as while still waiver exempt he is on his 2nd contract and Gap between NHL and AHL salary is only 475K so it costs him $4K a day while on taxi squad as opposed to $7.4K for Lehtonen

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Basically any player who is waiver exempt could be sent to taxi squad on non game days and not count against the cap. For Leafs someone like Lehtonen could be sent down on none game days saving $7,974 of Cap space each day. season is 116 days with what 56 games so there is possibility to have him available for every game at a cap hit of only 447K 56/116 X 925K salary. The problem with guys on entry levels is that he will only be paid NHL dollars when on active roster as well so while that move saves you $7,974 in Cap space each day you do it, the player gets paid $603 dollars (70K ahl salary over 116 days) in real pay those days instead of 7,974. It saves space but is kind of a dick move in that it takes salary from the lowest paid guys.

Mtl just made this move with Jake Evans after game against Leafs, doesn't hurt him as much as while still waiver exempt he is on his 2nd contract and Gap between NHL and AHL salary is only 475K so it costs him $4K a day while on taxi squad as opposed to $7.4K for Lehtonen
Has to be done to gain space. Sharing it around by teams is likely something they will do on a ongoing basis. Lehtonen might be in tonight, then Robertson etc. Robertson doesn’t accrue as much cap space as the higher contracts of Lehtonen and Barabanov but it is minimal in difference.

Reactions: CDN24

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

So our current capspace is approx $550k, with Dell on the roster.

How long would it take us to accrue enough space / diminish pro rated callup caphits to be able to add another player to the roster without demoting anyone? is it possible?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

How long would it take us to accrue enough space / diminish pro rated callup caphits to be able to add another player to the roster without demoting anyone? is it possible?
We actually have $559,000+ today. Would have to count up the off days and calculate that up. Depends on how quick we accumulate off days.

Impact of shorter season
In a normal 186 day season, each day of the season represents 0.54% (1/186). This year the season is 116 days, so each day represents 0.86% (1/116); each day is worth more towards the final cap hit. Therefore, accruing cap space earlier in the year or by having a lower cap hit on non-game days allows for even more cap hit to be added later in the year than in a normal season.
For example, a $1M Cap Hit player in the minors or taxi squad for 30 days saves $259K of Cap Hit ($1M * 30/116). In a normal year, that player in the minors for 30 days would only save $161K ($1M * 30/186). This has an impact later in the year, like at the trade deadline. This year, that $259K of saved cap space at the trade deadline (27 days remaining) is worth $1.1M in annual Cap Hit that can be added (116/27 * $259K). In a normal year, $161K of cap space at the trade deadline (41 days remaining) is worth $730K of Annual Cap Hit that can be added (186/41 * $161K).

Reactions: saltming and zeke

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

About 40-45 days

Reactions: zeke

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
That's a long time unfortunately.

Gonna need to waive Dell to get the necessary flexibility i think.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
That's a long time unfortunately.

Gonna need to waive Dell to get the necessary flexibility i think.

925,000 divided by 116 day (full season) = $7984 x 50 = $398,700
Thats Calculated out with the higher cap hits of Barabanov and Lehtonen. Cap friendly has our estimated deadline cap space at $2,455,000 somehow.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
While were carry a 21 man roster and Dell I don't think the "send X player down on off days to save cap" is a thing. We're at 18 skaters and while I'm not certain I don't believe you can go below that on off days. The Leafs did switch out Barabanov for Lehtonen yesterday to give Lehtonen a day of NHL pay, but given they have the same cap hit that doesn't matter for the cap.

Once we can go to 22 or decide to waive Dell I'm not sure we'll send Barabanov or Lehtonen down on off days to save cap anyway. That really sucks for the player and we need guys like this to continue signing here. A drafted player like Robertson, or someone who clears waivers on a 1 way deal like a Boyd would make more sense if they gets moved up because the 1 way player is getting paid the same anyway, and the drafted player didn't really have a decision on which team to play for.

Reactions: mouser

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
While were carry a 21 man roster and Dell I don't think the "send X player down on off days to save cap" is a thing. We're at 18 skaters and while I'm not certain I don't believe you can go below that on off days. The Leafs did switch out Barabanov for Lehtonen yesterday to give Lehtonen a day of NHL pay, but given they have the same cap hit that doesn't matter for the cap.

Once we can go to 22 or decide to waive Dell I'm not sure we'll send Barabanov or Lehtonen down on off days to save cap anyway. That really sucks for the player and we need guys like this to continue signing here. A drafted player like Robertson, or someone who clears waivers on a 1 way deal like a Boyd would make more sense if they gets moved up because the 1 way player is getting paid the same anyway, and the drafted player didn't really have a decision on which team to play for.
I am trying to get clarification on the # of skaters also. I’m wondering if its simply the # of players on the roster. If we were allowed to show 11 forwards,6 defensemen and 3 goalies its 20 players. I’m trying to get confirmation on that also. Goalies have these exemptions and are allowed in at anytime.
If goalies are allowed to count to fill up the 20 minimum we could accrue cap space on game days if we could go with 6 dmen and 11 forwards. I don’t think so but am not sure either

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Capfriendly had a daily cap tracker that based on past years they update every five days.

Toronto Maple Leafs Daily Cap Tracker - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

We accrue 1/116th of our cap space per day and a player cap hit also decreases by 1/116th per day.

If we carry $550,259 in space per day we will accrue $4,743 per day and gain $426,925 in additional space by day 90, the trade deadline, giving us $977,184 in deadline space. [(Cap space/Total days)*Deadline day]+Cap Space=Deadline Space, or in this instance [(550259/116)*90]+550259=977184

To figure out what cap hit that space can afford you work backwards (Deadline Space/Days remaining)*Total days=Cap hit, or (977184/26)*116=4359744.

Just swap the numbers to each season day and you can project what we can afford on any given day.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Capfriendly had a daily cap tracker that based on past years they update every five days.

Toronto Maple Leafs Daily Cap Tracker - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

We accrue 1/116th of our cap space per day and a player cap hit also decreases by 1/116th per day.

If we carry $550,259 in space per day we will accrue $4,743 per day and gain $426,925 in additional space by day 90, the trade deadline, giving us $977,184 in deadline space. [(Cap space/Total days)*Deadline day]+Cap Space=Deadline Space, or in this instance [(550259/116)*90]+550259=977184

To figure out what cap hit that space can afford you work backwards (Deadline Space/Days remaining)*Total days=Cap hit, or (977184/26)*116=4359744.

Just swap the numbers to each season day and you can project what we can afford on any given day.
Cap friendly says $2,455,000 deadline space will be accrued by then ?

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I really don't want to lose Dell but at some point we need to expose him, hopefully the Oilers sign Jimmy Howard and the Leafs can get Dell on the Taxi squad

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Ye
I saw that, my only theory for the discrepancy is that they are likely increasing the roster size to 23 as the cap space becomes available, where as I didn't increase it from 21.
Yeah maybe eh. It’s a lot complicated for me to immerse myself in to. Not to lazy to find out as much as I’m not interested in wasting my time doing it ha

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I really don't want to lose Dell but at some point we need to expose him, hopefully the Oilers sign Jimmy Howard and the Leafs can get Dell on the Taxi squad
I don’t think they will because of the quality of backup he is. I just want to keep him. I would expose Vesey first with no animosity towards him at all. Hell he scored. I’m sure there would be less interest in him than Dell. Nobody took Perry at a cheaper cap hit. It would have to be done before injuries or when there are few forward injuries. I think Vesey would clear

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don’t think they will because of the quality of backup he is. I just want to keep him. I would expose Vesey first with no animosity towards him at all. Hell he scored. I’m sure there would be less interest in him than Dell. Nobody took Perry at a cheaper cap hit. It would have to be done before injuries or when there are few forward injuries. I think Vesey would clear

I just want the Leafs to bank as much cap as possible, with the way this season is set up, and the Leafs not having to play Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston, Tampa, Philadelphia etc. this could be the year to go all in.

Reactions: NHL WAR

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I just want the Leafs to bank as much cap as possible, with the way this season is set up, and the Leafs not having to play Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston, Tampa, Philadelphia etc. this could be the year to go all in.
There are 14 games left after the trade deadline or 25% so your money in cap space is quadruple at that point prorated.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hopefully a window of opportunity arises where the twma can safely waive Dell. Unfortunately that may not happen for a few weeks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad