Post-Game Talk: Canucks 1, Maple Leafs 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Looking forward to this game hopefully the Canucks come out firing and put on a good show. Would be nice to silence some of those AINEC boys that like to show up in all the Canucks forums.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Leivo’s running hot and his old team is coming to town; feels like a game he’ll be up for.

Based on the team’s current run of play, I suspect we’ll see a lot of offense and not much in the way of defense in this one. If Marky is back in net, I hope he’s ready to face a whole lot of pucks.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Way to go Hughes and Miller! This could be a high scoring game given both teams' defense issues. Speaking of which, I wonder how close Edler is to returning.

Just win, boys!

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I do find it interesting that the Leafs seem to be trending downwards as an organization while the Canucks are clearly trending upwards. It’s funny to me because I was told that the Leafs had rebuilt their team “the correct way,” while the Canucks and their management had done everything wrong. The Leafs have been the poster boy for how to rebuild the “correct way,” and not only have they not won a single playoff round since 2002, but their self-inflicted cap problems seem like it will likely prevent them from being anything more than a 2nd round team.....maybe a one-off 3rd round appearance.

meanwhile, the Canucks look poised and ready to go deep in 2021-2022. Mark that year on your calendar folks. You heard it here first.

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
How do you figure?

1) an inappropriately high percentage of their cap allocated towards their top players (compare this over-allocation of their cap towards their top players to the Stanley cup winners over these past 10 years). Depth + cost controlled elite talent = championships. That has been the recipe.
2) the likely (inevitable?) departure of some of their top players in this coming off season.

due to the way their cap structured, it’s highly unlikely that the Leafs will be able to create the necessary depth needed to be a cup winner. They’ll still be a good to very good team during this Matthews-lead core, but they won’t be a great one. They will be the Pittsburgh Penguins of 2010-2015.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
How do you figure?
Not sure that they can’t turn it around but their points total has gone down the last two years to the point they were a playoff bubble team last year and look to be worse this year.
That team two years ago looked like it was set up to be a top contender as early as one year ago.
Having four forwards take up such a high percentage of the cap when they haven’t really proven anything, aside from Tavares, doesn’t seem like a good long term structure. Having said that they could trade one of them for defensive help and turn things around quickly.

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
1) an inappropriately high percentage of their cap allocated towards their top players (compare this over-allocation of their cap towards their top players to the Stanley cup winners over these past 10 years). Depth + cost controlled elite talent = championships. That has been the recipe.
2) the likely (inevitable?) departure of some of their top players in this coming off season.

due to the way their cap structured, it’s highly unlikely that the Leafs will be able to create the necessary depth needed to be a cup winner. They’ll still be a good to very good team during this Matthews-lead core, but they won’t be a great one. They will be the Pittsburgh Penguins of 2010-2015.

They have all their top players locked up at least through next season. I don't know that Barrie was ever a long term option for them and when he walks they have Sandin and Liljegren to come up.

Yeah their cap situation isn't ideal but it's not like they don't have options. None of their young 3 forwards have trade protection if they decided to go that route. The Leafs trouble and demise is greatly exaggerated. With Pridham and Gilman in the front office they'll massage the cap somehow.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I do find it interesting that the Leafs seem to be trending downwards as an organization while the Canucks are clearly trending upwards. It’s funny to me because I was told that the Leafs had rebuilt their team “the correct way,” while the Canucks and their management had done everything wrong. The Leafs have been the poster boy for how to rebuild the “correct way,” and not only have they not won a single playoff round since 2002, but their self-inflicted cap problems seems like it will likely prevent them from being anything more than a 2nd round team.....maybe a one-off 3rd round appearance.

meanwhile, the Canucks look poised and ready to go deep in 2021-2022. Mark that year on your calendar folks. You heard it here first.

Eh. I don’t think the Leafs are as bad as their current record indicates. They have enough talent to absolutely bury us (and anyone, for that matter). And they could do it on any given night.

But there’s clearly some issues right now impacting the team’s cohesion. It may not have been entirely Babcock (although doubtless he was a huge part of it). But the Leafs did just smoke the Blues last night, too. No mistaking that this is going to be a tough game.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Not sure that they can’t turn it around but their points total has gone down the last two years to the point they were a playoff bubble team last year and look to be worse this year.
That team two years ago looked like it was set up to be a top contender as early as one year ago.
Having four forwards take up such a high percentage of the cap when they haven’t really proven anything doesn’t seem like a good long term structure. Having said that they could trade one of them for defensive help and turn things around quickly.

I think their coaching change could have a bigger impact as the season goes on. Also like you say, with Johnsson and Kapanen on cheap deals, it would lessen the sting if they decided to move say, Nylander, for help in other areas.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
They have all their top players locked up at least through next season. I don't know that Barrie was ever a long term option for them and when he walks they have Sandin and Liljegren to come up.

Yeah their cap situation isn't ideal but it's not like they don't have options. None of their young 3 forwards have trade protection if they decided to go that route. The Leafs trouble and demise is greatly exaggerated. With Pridham and Gilman in the front office they'll massage the cap somehow.
Their problem is that Cody Ceci is their shutdown guy and average over 20 mins a game

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Incoming 6-5 game.
This team is so damn entertaining. Crazy that Petey and Boeser are playing like junk as far as what their capable of and the offense is still flowing.

Looking forward to this one. Shot Gun Jake with the Winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad