Pre-Game Talk: Canucks vs. Flames, Saturday night: In which we scoreboard-watch for the rest of the work week

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I don't see how the Canucks are significantly different than either of those teams tbh

Comparing the Canucks of 2019 with the Oilers of 2016 is depressing.

We have Pettersson (rookie center), Boeser (young scoring winger) and Horvat (2-way center entering his prime.)

The Oilers had McDavid (just finishing his rookie year at center), Taylor Hall (scoring winger, in his prime) and Leon Draisaitl (young 2nd center.)

Big Advantage Oilers.

Behind those forwards the Oilers had Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle, former 1st rounder Nail Yakupov and veterans 29 year old Benoit Pouliot, a couple of 30 year old geezers in Purcell and Letestu among others. Behind it's big 3 the Canucks have 29 year old Antoine Roussel, 33 year old Loui Eriksson, Nikolay Goldobin, Jake Virtanen, Markus Granlund and Adam Gaudette.

Big Advantage Oilers.

On defence we have 32 year old pending UFA Alex Edler, 25 year old Ben Hutton, 24 year old Troy Stecher, 29 year old often injured Chris Tanev with Quinn Hughes waiting in the wings.

The 2016 Oilers had 29 year old Andrej Sekera, 20 year old super prospect Darnell Nurse, Oscar Klefbom and Brandon Davidson.

Moderate Advantage 2019 Canucks.

I'd give the 2019 Canucks with Markstrom and Demko probably have the edge over the 2016 version of Cameron Talbot with Anders Nilsson and prospect Laurent Brossoit.

All in all, the 2016 Oilers look to me to have had a brighter-looking future than the 2019 Canucks do. It hasn't worked out for them.

I haven't tried doing a comparison with the Sabres.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014

We have Pettersson (rookie center), Boeser (young scoring winger) and Horvat (2-way center entering his prime.)

The Oilers had McDavid (just finishing his rookie year at center), Taylor Hall (scoring winger, in his prime) and Leon Draisaitl (young 2nd center.)

Big Advantage Oilers.

Behind those forwards the Oilers had Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle, former 1st rounder Nail Yakupov and veterans 29 year old Benoit Pouliot, a couple of 30 year old geezers in Purcell and Letestu among others. Behind it's big 3 the Canucks have 29 year old Antoine Roussel, 33 year old Loui Eriksson, Nikolay Goldobin, Jake Virtanen, Markus Granlund and Adam Gaudette.

Big Advantage Oilers.

On defence we have 32 year old pending UFA Alex Edler, 25 year old Ben Hutton, 24 year old Troy Stecher, 29 year old often injured Chris Tanev with Quinn Hughes waiting in the wings.

The 2016 Oilers had 29 year old Andrej Sekera, 20 year old super prospect Darnell Nurse, Oscar Klefbom and Brandon Davidson.

I'd give the 2019 Canucks with Markstrom and Demko probably have the edge over the 2016 version of Cameron Talbot with Anders Nilsson and prospect Laurent Brossoit.

All in all, the 2016 Oilers look to me to have had a brighter-looking future than the 2019 Canucks do. It hasn't worked out for them.

Big Advantage Oilers.

Big Advantage Oilers.

Big Advantage Oilers.

Big Advantage Oilers.

The oilers would be contenders right now if they didnt trade hall, eberle, and sign lucic to that horrible contract

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
When John Tortorella was coach, I couldn't even bring myself watch games after the All-Star break. The hockey was so bad....no scoring, no winning, nothing exciting going on. It's nice to have something worth watching, at this time of year no less -- even if it is kinda contingent on Florida, Philly, Dallas, and Washington all winning before Saturday
Funny thing is, I don’t think Torts heart was in it either. (re: coaching here). At least it seemed to me the enthusiasm ended quickly.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Funny thing is, I don’t think Torts heart was in it either. (re: coaching here). At least it seemed to me the enthusiasm ended quickly.

I believe he later admitted that the end of things in New York took more of a toll on him than he realized, and that he shouldn't have been coaching.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
aquilini doing a good job filling the void after the tragic loss of roosters

"Tragic". Yeah. That's the word I'd use.

Just go to Gabby's.

We still have one to many "Country Bars".

I can't count a good night younger me spent there. Townhall will do wonders there along with the one 10 blocks down Lougheed.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
giphy.gif

But seriously, can anyone really say that the closing of a country bar anywhere is really a bad thing?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
giphy.gif

But seriously, can anyone really say that the closing of a country bar anywhere is really a bad thing?
I wasn’t even really a Who or Pete Townsend fan in my youth (though I didn’t dislike them either). For some reason I still remember that album title after all these years because it seemed so stupid at the time. (Wiki link has Pete’s explanation for the odd title).

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
giphy.gif

I just assumed country music was a joke until like a year ago or so. Then was at a party in a hillbilly town and they ACTUALLY played country music and I was suprised. Its just THAT bad

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I don't know if Stompin' Tom Connors is country or not but that's some good music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad