Proposal: Canucks Trades

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I think the trades are meant to setup the Canucks moving forward for next season, not to finish out this season in which they hole they dug is too steep to climb out of and they've been playing crappy.

Miller has 2 more seasons after this until he's UFA.
If they can't move the bad contracts like Eriksson and others, then next season still depending on kids to push the club along. No outside help is coming. Thus the logic a Miller trade (not to NJ) would be to get younger rather than have to commit term to a 30 year old in a couple of seasons. He's still putting up a PPG right now, though he seems disinterested and not the same guy from last season.

How is keeping a cost controlled, versatile, point per game player in his prime (only 27) not meant to setup the team moving forward? Unless you think he's gone the way of Dubois when he was in Columbus, then fine, we trade him for a similar asset, not two picks -- that's a rebuild move.

Also your second bolded point is rather shortsighted. Sutter, Baertschi and Spooner come off the books this year, then the year after that is Roussel, Beagle, Loui and Luongo. The third bold should reinforce why he should stay -- he's a veteran on the team, which is still maturing and shedding its veteran cap (and they could sign better guys with the $10 million dead weight that we lose with Sutter, Baertschi and Spooner going this season - remember Hamonic only cost $2 million). If no outside help is coming would we not want to commit to a player in his late 20's and have him support Pete out there?

Lastly, I hope you know that while he's suffering a bit, JT attributed it to having too much ice time out there and he was sent to the 3rd practice line, but that doesn't mean that he's done, or that the team should do rebuild moves like this -- far from it.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
or it could be Hughes... with that logic why dont you give up your unprotected 1st for Palmeri? you could have a 30 goal scorer or Juolevi... see how dumb you sound?
About as dumb as you who thinks you get a superstar with every first round pick. Or you are not capable of understanding the point that you probably won’t get a player as good as Miller.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
About as dumb as you who thinks you get a superstar with every first round pick. Or you are not capable of understanding the point that you probably won’t get a player as good as Miller.
So then give us your unprotected 1st for Palmeri. After all you probably won’t get a player as good as him.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
So then give us your unprotected 1st for Palmeri. After all you probably won’t get a player as good as him.
Palmer isn’t as good as Miller. So no. The Devils would be lucky to get a late 1st for him.

If I’m the Devils I keep all the draft picks I can. They are bad now and they won’t be good anytime soon. They need all the prospects and picks they can get.

if I’m the Canucks I’d pay the 1st for another JT Miller.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why are the Canucks trading for Miller? And why is a rebuilding team trading for him? If the Canucks were silly enough to dump Miller, you'd think it would be to a team that thinks Miller makes them a contender.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
A 1st round pick in the 10 overall range and a 3rd is not an overpayment for JT Miller.

Sure, it doesn’t make sense for NJ, but to act like the 1st and 3rd (for funsies) are somehow an overpayment is ridiculous.
Maybe not, but a 1st round pick that could easily be top 5 (or even top 3) is. Especially with the draft lottery not going the way of the favourite more frequently.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Palmer isn’t as good as Miller. So no. The Devils would be lucky to get a late 1st for him.

If I’m the Devils I keep all the draft picks I can. They are bad now and they won’t be good anytime soon. They need all the prospects and picks they can get.

if I’m the Canucks I’d pay the 1st for another JT Miller.

everything you just said tells me all i need to know about the amount of your hockey knowledge

1 - Suggesting NJ as a landing spot for Miller seems poorly thought out based on age, and where the devils are in their rebuild.

2 - I'm having a hard time understanding why the @TS Quint post shows any lack of hockey knowledge?
- Palmieri isn't as good as Miller - This is true. Palmieri is older, producing less and is going into free agency, I don't think we need to go further into this seems pretty obvious.
- The Devils would be lucky to get a late 1st - there is room for debate here. I think he could get a late 1st, but in the other Palmieri threads there has been many posters that have stated they wouldn't trade a first for Palmieri as a rental.
- If I'm the Devils I keep all my draft picks - most NHL rebuilds are done through the draft, a bottom 5 team in the NHL should keep all their draft picks. Seems like a true statement.
- They are bad now - well over the past 3 seasons including this one the Devils are 29th in the NHL in wins, points; 27th in goals for, 8th (worst) in goals against. This season the Devils are in 2nd to last in their division and 28th in the NHL. I would say this means they are bad now.
- They won't be good any time soon - this one is an opinion, but knowing rebuilds take time and teams are typically bad for a while this isn't really a false or uninformed take, just more speculation than fact.
- They need all the prospects and picks they can get - seems like a reasonable comment based on the Devils current state and where they are in their rebuild.
- If I'm the Canucks I pay the first for another Miller - Well if this was last season I would agree, the first we did pay for Miller was a good investment. I would be more reluctant this season because the team looks like there are bigger issues than a "new Miller". The point is arguable but the original price for Miller was worth it and his stock has improved since arriving in Vancouver.

So where is the knowledge lacking in that post, are are you just upset that someone said mean things about your team?

Reactions: TS Quint

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Millet won’t get dealt unless it’s for a younger top 4 RD.

he is a huge part of the core, unless it’s for a sure thing, no way he is dealt.

Why would the Canucks trade a ppg player on a steal of a deal, from a trade that they won, for exactly what they gave up in the first place?

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
1 - Suggesting NJ as a landing spot for Miller seems poorly thought out based on age, and where the devils are in their rebuild.

2 - I'm having a hard time understanding why the @TS Quint post shows any lack of hockey knowledge?
- Palmieri isn't as good as Miller - This is true. Palmieri is older, producing less and is going into free agency, I don't think we need to go further into this seems pretty obvious.
- The Devils would be lucky to get a late 1st - there is room for debate here. I think he could get a late 1st, but in the other Palmieri threads there has been many posters that have stated they wouldn't trade a first for Palmieri as a rental.
- If I'm the Devils I keep all my draft picks - most NHL rebuilds are done through the draft, a bottom 5 team in the NHL should keep all their draft picks. Seems like a true statement.
- They are bad now - well over the past 3 seasons including this one the Devils are 29th in the NHL in wins, points; 27th in goals for, 8th (worst) in goals against. This season the Devils are in 2nd to last in their division and 28th in the NHL. I would say this means they are bad now.
- They won't be good any time soon - this one is an opinion, but knowing rebuilds take time and teams are typically bad for a while this isn't really a false or uninformed take, just more speculation than fact.
- They need all the prospects and picks they can get - seems like a reasonable comment based on the Devils current state and where they are in their rebuild.
- If I'm the Canucks I pay the first for another Miller - Well if this was last season I would agree, the first we did pay for Miller was a good investment. I would be more reluctant this season because the team looks like there are bigger issues than a "new Miller". The point is arguable but the original price for Miller was worth it and his stock has improved since arriving in Vancouver.

So where is the knowledge lacking in that post, are are you just upset that someone said mean things about your team?
TLDR. but thinking Miller deserves a top 10 pick (more than likely top 5) + is ridiculous. Palmeri should absolutely garnish a 1st around the trade deadline. and the devils have Hischier Hughes Smith and Blackwood + Holtz coming so saying the devils wont be good anytime soon while saying the Canucks should be buyers right now is all wrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad