Canucks Trade Deadline - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I don't see what Torres brings really. Kassian is full capable of bringing what he brings and I don't see the point of wasting an asset to bring a player who would play on the 4th line when we have a similar thing already.

Well I believe that Torres is a LW and Kassian is a RW, sounds like a nice winger combination to me. Something like this could be very effective come playoff time(assuming Booth is healthy)

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Raymond
Higgins-Roy-Hansen
Torres-Lapierre-Kassian

Mix and match wingers based on chemistry. I'd also consider swapping the wingers on lines two and three.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
So because we have kassian we dont want torres? Dont really understand this. You can always do with more hard working, checking player on the team in playoffs.

We have players like that, I like Torres as much as the next guy and if there aren't issues with him and those rumors were untrue I would look into it aswell but I just don't see the point of giving up an asset for that when we wont re-sign it and we have the same/similar things.

Because Kassian hasn't shown that he can bring what Torres brings. At this point I'm not sure Kassian gets out of the AHL this season let alone becomes a regular on a team looking to make a playoff run. Torres is a pitbull who will play physical game in and game out.

Kassian will be back. He is a better player than Torres.

And who knows what this new Torres is like. Perhaps he may not be the fine line enigma he was before not that he has refined his game.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Well I believe that Torres is a LW and Kassian is a RW, sounds like a nice winger combination to me. Something like this could be very effective come playoff time(assuming Booth is healthy)

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Raymond
Higgins-Roy-Hansen
Torres-Lapierre-Kassian

Mix and match wingers based on chemistry. I'd also consider swapping the wingers on lines two and three.

Ya thats not bad.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
He was also a bottom-six forward; scoring 3 goals, one of which was a GWG, is pretty solid production, IMO.

He was also used in a shutdown role against the league's best.

35% o-zone starts and his line didn't allow an ES goal against for 3 rounds. AV also trusted him late in games.

I hate to bring up intangibles but Torres brought that as well. Just like Rich Peverly slashing Bieksa his biggest contribution was taking out the opponents stars.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Kassian will be back. He is a better player than Torres.

And who knows what this new Torres is like. Perhaps he may not be the fine line enigma he was before not that he has refined his game.

Is he? He hasn't been this season.

Torres can hopefully bring out the aggressiveness in Kassian. As someone has already mentioned a line of Torres-Lapierre-Kassian could be a physically overwhelming line in the playoffs as our 4th line. I would hope Kassian becomes a better player than Torres in the future, but as of right now Torres is a better player than Kassian.

Garth Butcher

Feb 27, 2013
Saskatchewan

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Raymond
Higgins-Roy-Hansen
Torres-Lapierre-Kassian

thats a scarey 4th line. put a top line out against that and watch them throw the puck away and head for the bench :laugh:

that reminds me of the 'twin tower' line of jim sandlack and sergio momeso of years gone by... oy the flying V

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
thats a scarey 4th line. put a top line out against that and watch them throw the puck away and head for the bench :laugh:

Exactly, 4 lines you can roll and trust and that can score is huge in the playoffs. Look at Chicago's 3d and 4th lines when they won the cup, same with Boston and the Kings had a pretty deep forward group last year. Even if the Sedins get shutdown for a game that lineup can still score 3 goals. Something like that is exactly why I'm really hoping that Gillis acquires a top 9 forward tomorrow.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Is he? He hasn't been this season.

Torres can hopefully bring out the aggressiveness in Kassian. As someone has already mentioned a line of Torres-Lapierre-Kassian could be a physically overwhelming line in the playoffs as our 4th line. I would hope Kassian becomes a better player than Torres in the future, but as of right now Torres is a better player than Kassian.

Yeah I think he is.

Torres isn't neccisarily the aggressive beast he once was as he himself said he tried to refine his game. Is that the Torres you want to give up an asset for? Cause he is a pure rental if we get him.

I wouldn't mind it if the price is real low, but depending on what it is I would rather just stick with Kassian, he can bring the same physical element and I think he has more skill and smarts well.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
You know whats sad, watching sportsnet trade special, brad may makes better comments and more sense regarding our team by a mile then gary valk, who has only one job and that is to follow the canucks.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
I don't see what Torres brings really. Kassian is full capable of bringing what he brings and I don't see the point of wasting an asset to bring a player who would play on the 4th line when we have a similar thing already.

That's almost like saying one Sedin is enough. Yes we have elements of toughness but Torres brings more of it. The thing that sets Raffi apart is that he can also be an improvement on the offensive (and defensive) end over, say, Pinnzo.

If the asking price was a 3rd rounder.. why wouldn't you want him?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
You know whats sad, watching sportsnet trade special, brad may makes better comments and more sense regarding our team by a mile then gary valk, who has only one job and that is to follow the canucks.
Ya May was spot on with his comments.

The worst part of it was the notion that we would trade Schneider. Otherwise I like Sportsnet, they have alot more vibrance and the show seems more fun. TSN's show is all business and though I like there show too they are all like Robots.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yeah I think he is.

Torres isn't neccisarily the aggressive beast he once was as he himself said he tried to refine his game. Is that the Torres you want to give up an asset for? Cause he is a pure rental if we get him.

I wouldn't mind it if the price is real low, but depending on what it is I would rather just stick with Kassian, he can bring the same physical element and I think he has more skill and smarts well.
He's using this opportunity to continue to take digs at Kassian btw. :shakehead

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ya May was spot on with his comments.

The worst part of it was the notion that we would trade Schneider. Otherwise I like Sportsnet, they have alot more vibrance and the show seems more fun. TSN's show is all business and though I like there show too they are all like Robots.
Sportsnet has a better gauge on the Canucks. Mostly because they have regional coverage as well.

Watching TSN is just Leaf propoganda. If Lu were a Leaf, Dreger would be stating that the asking price is a top line C, a A+ prospect and a 1st.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
We're talking about a great goalie with plenty left but the years and years of cap penalties render him essentially valueless.

Stop buying to what Dreger says. It's a little strange how TOR keeps getting giftwrapped Luongo in every TSN segment.

Luongo did not waive for TO. Gillis is talking to 4 teams currently.

Last year - one of LACK + 4th
Draft - Schenn
Lockout - Komisarek+
This year - Dreger: "the Leafs would be interested if the price was free"

And the list of reasons why Luongo is worthless: Luongo demands to leave VAN, Canucks can't have 9.3M in net, Luongo is a locker room cancer, Luongo desperately wants to start.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
That's almost like saying one Sedin is enough. Yes we have elements of toughness but Torres brings more of it. The thing that sets Raffi apart is that he can also be an improvement on the offensive (and defensive) end over, say, Pinnzo.

If the asking price was a 3rd rounder.. why wouldn't you want him?
If the asking price is a 3rd rounder no way I want him.

We could get a better player for that, I would maybe do a 4th at the absolute most.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
If the asking price is a 3rd rounder no way I want him.

We could get a better player for that, I would maybe do a 4th at the absolute most.

IMO a 3rd rounder would be well worth it. Gillis should be able to acquire another pick in a Luongo/Booth/Ballard trade at the draft.

Back in 94

In Gillis I trust
Jul 21, 2007
I'd be ecstatic if we acquired Torres but I just don't see that happening. Somethings just not right there, why would they let him walk for 1.75?

Dado

Don't think we're gonna acquire Torres. Somethings just not right there, why would they let him walk for 1.75?

I don't even know if Torres is Torres anymore.

What I do know is I really really miss the Torres from the '11 playoff run, and IMO this team suffers from not having a replacement. Maybe Kassian becomes that guy someday - but he ain't that guy today - and TBH I don't see that killer instinct in him.

But here's hoping!

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
He's using this opportunity to continue to take digs at Kassian btw. :shakehead

I know I don't understand why we can't just move on. :shakehead

Sportsnet has a better gauge on the Canucks. Mostly because they have regional coverage as well.

Watching TSN is just Leaf propoganda. If Lu were a Leaf, Dreger would be stating that the asking price is a top line C, a A+ prospect and a 1st.

Yeah they are better. Kipper can be annoying on the Luongo thing cause I think he over exaggerates the contract. (Personally I don't think he knows the ins and outs of the contract and what can be done.

Other than that I agree, TSN's true colours are really beginning to shine through this year with the Leafs so close to the playoff picture.

They are really showing that the T in TSN stands for Toronto not The.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
They wanted to give him a 1 year deal and he signed for 2 with Phoenix.

Similar to Willie Mitchell getting more in LA and term.

Funny how they weren't even willing to go 2 years for him after he played pretty well, yet Higgins got a 4 year deal. But we're getting off-topic here.

If a forward can't be had then I'd also like to see Gillis try to acquire a legitimate top 6 RHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->