Canucks Trade Deadline - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dado

...I just find it surprising that people look back on his time here with such reverence.

He was a smart bomb, a cruise missile, a human-shaped Swingline that stapled people to the boards.

Miss what he brought to the rink, for sure...

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
If they stick together, it gives us a huge advantage in the playoffs.

That being said, I just can't see the Canucks entering the playoffs with Kesler on the second line between Raymond and Kassian.

I suspect the 3rd line will be split up and someone like Roy or maybe Higgins will be promoted to the 2nd.

Or we continue to go "all in" and acquire someone to play with Kesler.

:naughty:

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Hell, if the Canucks were picking up a bottom 6 player from Phoenix, I'd rather overpay for BoGo and then move Roy up to the 2nd line...

Gordon has 1 goal in 52 playoff games and a career high of 8 goals in a season. Torres has been much more productive in the playoffs and has been good for at least 15 goals almost every year.

Gordon being good on faceoffs isn't enough to offset Torres superior goalscoring and physicality IMO.

Torres, Lapierre and Kassian is the type of 4th line I would like to see. Better than probably any other 4th lines they go up against, big, physical and can hopefully chip in some goals.

StringerBell

I'd still like Goc and Weaver from Florida. That would complete our team if you ask me. We would have 3 lines that can score with some amazing depth.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen
Raymond-Roy-Higgins
Wiese-Goc-Lapierre
Schroeder

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Garrison-Ballard
Weaver,Alberts

Schneider
Luongo

Very balanced, and extremely deep at center.

Would rather acquire another top 6 offensive winger rather than wasting assets acquiring Goc to play on the 4th line.

I half agree with both of you on this one. Would love to make that trade and let one of Roy/Kesler fill the role of top 6 winger.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Roy-Kesler
Higgins-Goc-Hansen
Pinner-Lappy-Kassian

Raymond would have to be replaced in the top 6 by Jensen or Kass in the offseason, but other than that it's cap realistic for next year. Pretty good lineup IMO.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
I'm really f'ing excited that when Kesler is healthy our third line right now is Chris Higgins - Derek Roy - Jannik Hansen.

That is so awesome.

hopefully it can be our version of the hawks 2010 line of Ladd Bolland Veeteseg (Sp?) provide that secondary scoring!

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Miss this man <3

Can't forget what that hit did to Thornton.

In game 5 he had 2 glorious scoring chances where he couldn't get anything into his shot because his shoulder was done.

Torres on the forecheck is something the opposing players watch out for, Weise on the forecheck is buttersoft.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I half agree with both of you on this one. Would love to make that trade and let one of Roy/Kesler fill the role of top 6 winger.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Roy-Kesler
Higgins-Goc-Hansen
Pinner-Lappy-Kassian

Raymond would have to be replaced in the top 6 by Jensen or Kass in the offseason, but other than that it's cap realistic for next year. Pretty good lineup IMO.

Except I really don't like that 3rd line. We need 3 offensive lines, and I think that's what the Canucks are intending anyways.

Garth Butcher

Feb 27, 2013
Saskatchewan
Torres single handily makes a team physical. Scares the crap outta the opposition and is a very capable hockey player. Should have never got rid of him, worth paying something to bring him back.

problem with him now is if he hit someone and they go to the ice clean or not it'll be called. then the out of town media will kick with how cheap the nucks are and it goes down hill from there... I think we have been down that road before. I still think that Rome hit on sir boston was late but not dirty like EVERYONE outside vancouver said. and I think that hit on raymond that had him in a vulnerable position then drove him into the boards backwards was dirty and no one said boo.

...ok I'm better now... just put away the sharpe objects :pullhair:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
He had 20 shots in 23 postseason games with the Canucks and only 7 points. I don't draw many conclusions from that, but I just find it surprising that people look back on his time here with such reverence. Not really making a judgement call here -- just really amazed that so many people want to re-acquire him.

Personally, I think he's an inferior winger to guys the Canucks already have, but he could be a 4th line upgrade. Still not a real need I think they need to address.

Draw whatever you want

I watched the series three months ago and that stood out to me, I was not reminiscing, he generated chances, like passes that did not lead to a goal but were scoring chances and created pressure, and IMO he did better then our bottom six would do now, obviously that is with Higgins and Hansen in the top six, and Raymond being close to Raffi at the mo...

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
can anyone let me know how credible the reports were about a higgins-torres rift in the dressing room during his former tenure with the team? was this anything more than mere speculation?

i'm all for bringing him back for a mid-round pick but not if it's going to tick off some of his former teammates

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
can anyone let me know how credible the reports were about a higgins-torres rift in the dressing room? was this anything more than mere speculation?

i'm all for bringing him back for a mid-round pick but not if it's going to tick off some of his former teammates

Kevin Higgins himself says that he's had lunch with Higgins and Torres and that Torres was a good person.

I always heard rumblings that Torres and Higgins didn't get along personally. I wonder if there's any truth to that?

Nope. I've had lunch w both of them in van a few times. Torres is a good dude.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
can anyone let me know how credible the reports were about a higgins-torres rift in the dressing room during his former tenure with the team? was this anything more than mere speculation?

His brother confirmed on here that there's no issue between Higgins and Torres.

Dado

then the out of town media will kick with how cheap the nucks are and it goes down hill from there...

What do you mean "downhill"?

I LOVED that we had a rep for being a bit nasty, a bit dirty. LOVED it. 40 years of watching this team ***** out, and finally, WE were the bad guys. LOVED IT!

Not to mention, it got us to within a period or two of winning the damn cup.

Proudest time as a Canuck fan since Bure took out Churla and sparked that glorious "we take no **** from anyone" run. This team has gotten much softer since then, and it isn't helping us, it's making us worse.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Draw whatever you want

I watched the series three months ago and that stood out to me, I was not reminiscing, he generated chances, like passes that did not lead to a goal but were scoring chances and created pressure, and IMO he did better then our bottom six would do now, obviously that is with Higgins and Hansen in the top six, and Raymond being close to Raffi at the mo...

He was also a bottom-six forward; scoring 3 goals, one of which was a GWG, is pretty solid production, IMO.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I was not sold on bringing back torres but then i got lost in canuck reports wanting clowe in order to get more physical, and now I am hoping if they want to go that direction they give it a good shot.

Torres looks fast, working hard, and is still physical in the corners tonight in the l.a. game. He looks better then clowe honestly.

Garth Butcher

Feb 27, 2013
Saskatchewan
What do you mean "downhill"?

I LOVED that we had a rep for being a bit nasty, a bit dirty. LOVED it. 40 years of watching this team ***** out, and finally, WE were the bad guys. LOVED IT!

Not to mention, it got us to within a period or two of winning the damn cup.

Proudest time as a Canuck fan since Bure took out Churla and sparked that glorious "we take no **** from anyone" run.

IMO the public out cry against the nucks and buttman's desire for certain teams to be the ones with the cup did affect calls against the nucks as well as none calls the other way... but then again being a nucks fan I guess everyone thinks I believe in conspiracies and lil green men.

SnapIt

Feb 19, 2013
Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus...

If Torres is not a distraction to other players and can be acquired, they should do so. He'd be a huge upgrade to our 4th line (Why? speed, hits, good shot).

But a top 6 winger would be fantastic.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I don't see what Torres brings really. Kassian is full capable of bringing what he brings and I don't see the point of wasting an asset to bring a player who would play on the 4th line when we have a similar thing already.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't see what Torres brings really. Kassian is full capable of bringing what he brings and I don't see the point of wasting an asset to bring a player who would play on the 4th line when we have a similar thing already.

Because Kassian hasn't shown that he can bring what Torres brings. At this point I'm not sure Kassian gets out of the AHL this season let alone becomes a regular on a team looking to make a playoff run. Torres is a pitbull who will play physical game in and game out.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

So because we have kassian we dont want torres? Dont really understand this. You can always do with more hard working, checking player on the team in playoffs.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
From the 4th line, I'm not sure we have someone outside of Kassian that brings what he brings.

Sestito? - Cant skate or contribute points
Pinnizotto - average skater, good hitter if he ever hits.
Weise - Never hits or wins a fight

A 4th line of Torres - Lappy - Kassian would be pretty solid. I'd love to see the Canucks bring in Torres and another bruiser like McGinn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad