Player Discussion Canucks Top Prospects 11-20

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Nice list, i like the top ten and how youve ranked them too, for the most part, not so hot on Juolevi or Lockwood, but the future def looks bright

Reactions: SwaggyCanuckMZ

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
We should call head amateur scout, Judd Brackett, the late-round whisperer as he has been the architect of many of the picks who have surprised us in recent years. Since he took over the scouting throne in 2015, the Vancouver Canucks have made 27 picks in the third round or later. Of those, there are at least 10 that could legitimately be projected as National Hockey League players. That’s a pretty good success rate for the later rounds.

Hard to take this seriously but nice try I guess

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Why is it hard to take seriously? Only time will tell, but I really think there are 10 players in the third round or later from the 2005 draft to now that could be NHL players. We will see if I'm right.

5eK.gif

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Why is it hard to take seriously? Only time will tell, but I really think there are 10 players in the third round or later from the 2015 draft to now that could be NHL players.
You can't really legitimately project any player selected in the 2019 draft from the 3rd round (or worse) to be future NHLers at this point IMHO. That applies to ALL the other picks (not just the Canuck ones).

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Seriously? That's ****ing hilarious. Palmu was the worst player to suit up for the Comets last year by a country mile. There is zero chance he ever becomes a successful AHL player.

I object. Zero is wrong. There is a low chance he will become a successful AHL player. But why? only use the Ahl path if you think you can actually make the NHL. Otherwise stay in europe.

Fair enough, his North America tour went south like sherman. However, he could end up having an NHL career. Better than "zero", probably more like 4 - 6 %.

I'll admit that going into the season I had hope he could be another St louis or Gaudreau or ... but it seems very unlikely now.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I object. Zero is wrong. There is a low chance he will become a successful AHL player. But why? only use the Ahl path if you think you can actually make the NHL. Otherwise stay in europe.

Fair enough, his North America tour went south like sherman. However, he could end up having an NHL career. Better than "zero", probably more like 4 - 6 %.

I'll admit that going into the season I had hope he could be another St louis or Gaudreau or ... but it seems very unlikely now.
I guess I just didn't see what you did Chilly. And I watched for it too. Patiently. But all I saw was a forlorn little fire hydrant that looked hopelessly out of his depth on every shift five on five; and only slightly less so on the pp where his only competency was standing still along the half wall boards passing the puck around the perimeter. He did look reasonably confident there, but nowhere else really.

I maintain that he was the worst player to suit up for the Comets last year, and some of those ECHL PTOs were plumb awful too, so that is saying something.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I guess I just didn't see what you did Chilly. And I watched for it too. Patiently. But all I saw was a forlorn little fire hydrant that looked hopelessly out of his depth on every shift five on five; and only slightly less so on the pp where his only competency was standing still along the half wall boards passing the puck around the perimeter. He did look reasonably confident there, but nowhere else really.

I maintain that he was the worst player to suit up for the Comets last year, and some of those ECHL PTOs were plumb awful too, so that is saying something.

fair enough. take him from 4 -6 to 2 - 3 %. Agreed almost no shot now. But zero is a mighty small number.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Another thing that's buggin' me is the way Jimbo keeps trading down and trading down into the depths of the sixth and seventh rounds where he picks nothin' but dwarfs and Ivy League scholars that have, well, zero chance of ever showing up on the radar down the road. I really don't know why he bothers with that.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Palmu is 5'6, can't skate, and was unable to compete in the AHL in his draft+4 season.

There is literally zero chance this player ever plays in the NHL. Like, you couldn't possibly get more of a no-hoper than this.

A guy like Gadjovich might have a 4-6% chance of playing in the NHL. Palmu is fully zero.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Palmu is 5'6, can't skate, and was unable to compete in the AHL in his draft+4 season.

There is literally zero chance this player ever plays in the NHL. Like, you couldn't possibly get more of a no-hoper than this.

A guy like Gadjovich might have a 4-6% chance of playing in the NHL. Palmu is fully zero.

It’s funny that people hold onto hope for the Palmu types but then have no problem writing off guys like Archibald and Gaunce who showed actual NHL ability.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It’s funny that people hold onto hope for the Palmu types but then have no problem writing off guys like Archibald and Gaunce who showed actual NHL ability.

I'm actually incredulous about all these takes on Palmu right now.

He's heading into his draft+5 season. He would be the smallest player in the NHL. At an age where he'd need to be destroying the AHL to the tune of a 100-point pace to have any hope of projecting ... he wasn't able to compete at that level and basically showed himself to be ECHL-calibre.

Like, every single poster here has basically the identical chance of playing in the NHL to Palmu. He's beyond finished. There is zero hope. Anyone suggesting anything otherwise simply doesn't have a clue about prospect development.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Why is it hard to take seriously? Only time will tell, but I really think there are 10 players in the third round or later from the 2005 draft to now that could be NHL players. We will see if I'm right.

Because that is beyond realistic. I'd be willing to bet, only 1 or 2 become of any significant help.

Reactions: Javaman

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

There are about 10 guys who could currently be seen as prospects of some sort, with odds of actually sticking in the NHL ranging from 5% - 30%.

In the end, 1 or 2 will probably make it. If you think we will have 10 NHL players from rounds 3-7 of those drafts, you need to take some time to study and understand prospect development and chances of success.

Reactions: Javaman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad