Rumor: Canucks to Sign Yannik Weber?

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I actually didnt mind Weber at all last season. Hes the type of guy you'd want as a 7th or 8th defenseman....or even to play in that limited 6 role if you want to give prospects more playing time in the AHL.

Hes another right shot with some decent power play skills and still reasonably young. Nothing wrong with that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Surprising if true - I assumed all the fringe guys like Weber/Dalpe/Welsh/Schroeder would be purged by the new regime.

That said, he was a decent #7 defender here and I have no problems bringing him back. Much prefer to have a skill guy in that role over a banger.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't really see why we'd re-sign him. Fringe roster guy, doesn't really seem to fit what Benning wants to build here. Think there are better spare defenceman options out there on the market for likely not much more than Weber. But if they do offer him a contract, it's not the end of the world or anything, would just be surprising to me.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Showed some promise while he was in action. Great depth defence man who happens to be a right hand shot.

Little risk in giving him a 1 year, 1 way contract.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
He made our PP more mobile and dynamic, and considering how much of a sore spot that has been in recent years, that's not such a terrible thing to have warming the far end of your bench. He'd be a smart guy to sign, if you ask me.

GCM

Stork
Jun 22, 2010
I don't mind more defensive depth. Back end injuries have always burned us.

Hamhuis - Tanev
Edler - Bieksa
Sbisa - Corrado
Stanton - Weber

Note that Tanev could be with Edler instead and Bieksa up with Hammer. Depends if we want to run the double shut down D together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad