Canucks to retire Sedin's 33 and 22. Sedin Celebration Week

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

Love this idea.

In a way its reverting to what it was like. They had it in the colours they retired in until a few years ago, but changed them and the other banners to match the current colours. Was really weird seeing Smyl and Linden in blue and green, seeing how they were well known for playing in different colours (and in Smyl's case never did at all).

Glad they went back, though would have been better to keep the years' played on them.

NHL1995

Dec 9, 2019
They were one of the classiest players to ever play and were uniquely talented too. They also changed the league with things like the bank pass and the cycle now in the league because of them.

This is the bank pass I'm talking about by the way.

Also Henrik was an underrated scorer. When he was lighting up the league in 2010, Daniel got injured and everyone thought that would be it. However, Henrik changed it up and started shooting the puck more and ending up scoring a career-high in points and goals that year winning the Art Ross. This video shows what Henrik was capable of when he had to be the shooter.

Daniel Sedin also holds a record that probably will never get broken. (for the fastest time in the accuracy shooting with the first round 4/4 in 7.3 seconds).

In their prime, they always crushed us whenever they played us, making many Leafs fans wish we had them on our team. I just wish they won a cup; it would have been a moment every fan would have loved.

Congratulations, to both of them and Canucks fans for this honour.

LGBlues

Feb 25, 2014
Fantastic players and representatives of the game. Some of the best hockey I have seen when Backes-Steen-Oshie were great defensively against them - I don't want to know who statistically won those battles - probably the Sedins, but it was some great battles to watch live.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
They were one of the classiest players to ever play and were uniquely talented too. They also changed the league with things like the bank pass and the cycle now in the league because of them.
Are you trying to claim that the Sedin's invented the cycle? :laugh:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
These guys grabbed back-to-back Art Ross trophies in the middle of Crosby/OV/Malkin's prime and only one player in NHL history has lead the NHL in assists in more consecutive seasons than Henrik Sedin. And that guy's name is Wayne Gretzky.

These guys were so damn good at their best. When they got going, it was like watching the Harlem Globetrotters.

Last edited:

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
No, not at all, just a form of it. It also increased in frequency after they succeeded with it and they were the undeniable Kings of it.

I'll give you they were definitely great at the cycle.

I don't agree they in any way revolutionized or made the cycle more popular. It was already the go to strategy long before the Sedins joined the league.

Its like saying Datsyuk changed stickhandling. He didn't. He was just better at it then everyone else.

Reactions: Schred

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
A whole week for two guys that never won? Seems excessive, but no arguments that they deserve their numbers retired. Pretty rare to play your whole career in one city.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
A whole week for two guys that never won? Seems excessive, but no arguments that they deserve their numbers retired. Pretty rare to play your whole career in one city.

only brothers in NHL history to win the art ross, actually, only 2 brothers in sports history to share a title like this. They also have an Olympic gold medal.

also it's what Vancouver doing, since actually 2 players that are getting their numbers retired.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Hawks fan, who hated the Nucks for years.

Congrats to both of these guys on two fantastic careers. They were excellent, excellent players who did a lot for their franchise. I’m happy Vancouver fans were able to enjoy their long, HoF-caliber careers

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Hawks fan, who hated the Nucks for years.

Congrats to both of these guys on two fantastic careers. They were excellent, excellent players who did a lot for their franchise. I’m happy Vancouver fans were able to enjoy their long, HoF-caliber careers

why would you hate the Canucks? they didn't even do shit to you guys, like literally they didn't shit to the hawks.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
What I will remember the most is this kind of stuff:

22 minutes of pure dominance. These two could make regular shifts look like powerplays like no others. The definition of east-west players.

I will also remember their domination wearing the national jerseys:

Anyone who played with them instantly became a first liner.

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
Well deserved!

Have multiple players ever been retired before on the same night?
Harry Howell and Andy Bathgate's numbers were retired together by the New York Rangers on February 22, 2009.

Harry+Howell+Toronto+Maple+Leafs+v+New+York+3PSc5leDDkbx.jpg

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
only brothers in NHL history to win the art ross, actually, only 2 brothers in sports history to share a title like this. They also have an Olympic gold medal.

also it's what Vancouver doing, since actually 2 players that are getting their numbers retired.

Max and Doug Bentley each won a scoring title in the 1940s. They predated the Art Ross Trophy, but it still counts.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
This isn’t the place to discuss it and out of respect to the Canucks fans I’d rather not derail the thread

It's fine, it was rather just a joke actually, and I personally don't care, the joke was me saying we didn't do shit against the hawks as more of a knock against the Canucks not being able to do much against the Black Hawks.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
One of the most ingenious tactics they did, they only did once and it wasn't successful the first time but I was surprised they didn't try again.

First year of 3 on 3 overtime (and I think the first time the Canucks played a 3 on 3 overtime). Henrik had the puck in the neutral zone, defenseman was in the Canucks zone and Daniel was skating along the opposing blueline. As two were pressuring Henrik and the defenseman, Daniel turned up the boards drawing his man behind him. He then hopped onto the bench and a forward at the other end of the bench hopped onto the ice. Henrik just missed the teammate with the pass and the goalie was able to get to the puck but he would have had a breakaway had the pass hit the target. Again, I only saw them try that once but thought it was an ingenious tactic that would be perfect for overtime.

Reactions: Canucks5551

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad