Canucks to retire Sedin's 33 and 22. Sedin Celebration Week

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Two of the most talented, classiest and well respected individuals in the NHL. Their work on the ice and character off the ice is legendary in Vancouver. The only thing missing in their all-world careers is that Stanley Cup Ring. This week the Canucks will hang their numbers on the rafter and 22 and 33 will be immortalized. The Hall will soon be calling as well.

Their love, empathy and care for the Children's Hospital will never be forgotten . They donated their money and even more importantly, their time to spend with kids and their families at their darkest hours. Its what made them so beloved in the community.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/canucks-sedins-donate-1-5m-to-hospital-1.897839

Will the NHL ever see identical twins playing on the same line for their entire NHL careers and dominate in a way they did with what seemed like telekinetic on ice communication? Consider yourselves lucky to have been able to witness these 2 legends.

Share your favorite memory here! If the Kobe death taught us anything, its that we need to celebrate and appreciate legends more while they are still with us!

Henrik Sedin
1070 pts
Hart Trophy
Art Ross
2x Clancy Award Winner
Olympic Gold Medal
World Championship

Daniel Sedin
1041 pts
Art Ross
Ted Lindsay Award
Clancy Award
Olympic Gold Medalist
Wold Champioship

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
The first numbers the Canucks are retiring that actually deserve to be there. Great players that carried the franchise and spent their entire careers in Vancouver.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Pavel Bure is a hall of famer, why would he not deserve to have had his number retired by the Canucks?

Only 428 games in Vancouver. His 2 goal scoring titles came with Florida. Don't get me wrong, he's a hall of famer and one of the best goal scorers of all time, but I'm talking about their body of work for the franchise. Retiring a number should only be reserved for players who have the majority of their impact for that franchise. The Sedins lead the Canucks in almost every all-time statistic. They both have more than double the points in a Vancouver uniform than Bure.

Your criteria may be different, and that's fine, but IMO retiring a player number should be something that's incredibly rare. Reserved for players who have played the majority of their career for that franchise, have most of their major accomplishments for that franchise, and meant more to the city than just being a player.

Reactions: Seiza and johan f

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Only 428 games in Vancouver. His 2 goal scoring titles came with Florida. Don't get me wrong, he's a hall of famer and one of the best goal scorers of all time, but I'm talking about their body of work for the franchise. Retiring a number should only be reserved for players who have the majority of their impact for that franchise. The Sedins lead the Canucks in almost every all-time statistic. They both have more than double the points in a Vancouver uniform than Bure.

Your criteria may be different, and that's fine, but IMO retiring a player number should be something that's incredibly rare. Reserved for players who have played the majority of their career for that franchise, have most of their major accomplishments for that franchise, and meant more to the city than just being a player.

He led the league with 60 goals in 93-94, they just didn't have a trophy for it back then.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
The first numbers the Canucks are retiring that actually deserve to be there. Great players that carried the franchise and spent their entire careers in Vancouver.

I'd be embarassed as a Canucks fan to see the likes of Linden, Burrows, McLean, Smyl, and Ohlund's jersey in the rafters and/or Ring of Honor. Such an underwhelming group of players.

Bure, Luongo, and the Sedins. That should be it. They were all elite at their position. The best of the best for a certain time frame.

Alex Burrows is heading to the Canucks’ Ring of Honour, which is good and correct

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
I'd be embarassed as a Canucks fan to see the likes of Linden, Burrows, McLean, Smyl, and Ohlund's jersey in the rafters and/or Ring of Honor. Such an underwhelming group of players.

Bure, Luongo, and the Sedins. That should be it. They were all elite at their position. The best of the best for a certain time frame.

Alex Burrows is heading to the Canucks’ Ring of Honour, which is good and correct
Sometimes it has less to do with stats and more to do with how they carried the team, their community work, etc. Its not always about cups and points.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Probably the only team with 3 Swedes with retired numbers.

This is a massive improvement retiring actual club legends and not doing ridiculous ceremonies retiring a number in honor of the fans (Can't find that awesome ceremony on Youtube anymore).

Pavel Bure is a hall of famer, why would he not deserve to have had his number retired by the Canucks?
Maybe the fact he held out for half a year and demanded a trade? Pretty disrespectful to the organization. By similar standards I don't want VC's jersey honored by the Raptors who did similar stuff.

Reactions: Ciao

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
That's your opinion. My opinion is I want to see greatness honored. Not who the nicest guys are.

I would agree on jersey retirement as being something that should be kept to only the elite who also played a long time on the team, but the ring of honour is just a way to celebrate the biggest contributors to the team over the years who aren't jersey retirement types. I don't see how that needs an overly high bar tbh. Sports is all about nostalgia and it's a good marketing event for the fans more than anything

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I would agree on jersey retirement as being something that should be kept to only the elite who also played a long time on the team, but the ring of honour is just a way to celebrate the biggest contributors to the team over the years who aren't jersey retirement types. I don't see how that needs an overly high bar tbh. Sports is all about nostalgia and it's a good marketing event for the fans more than anything

Sedin, Sedin, Bure, Luongo (Soon), and Smyl. There's one name here that really really isn't like the others.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Well deserved. Both unreal talents that terrorized the Pacific division and the rest of the league for many years. Hard to believe I've watched them get drafted, have amazing careers, retire, and now get their jerseys retired. Probably headed to the HOF too. Getting old blows.

Reactions: johan f

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
Congratulations to the brothers and Canuck fans. Always enjoyed watching the twins play. I had tears in my eyes as I watched their last game. A little Sedin to Sedin magic in OT. Such a fitting ending for 2 of the classiest guys to ever play.

Next stop should be the HHOF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad