Canucks to keep Benning for next season, what do you think?

What do you think of Benning as the Canucks GM?

• Total voters

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
So despite another embarrassing season for the Canucks where there was no tank and spent to the cap and tried to be competitive, a CBC announcer said this:

This despite 7 years of absolute brutal and embarrassing results from the Jim Benning management team. Canucks fans at HFBoards are pretty fed up and our numbers have shrunk and shrunk, just like in the bigger Canuck community as this team is brutally run from top to bottom. As with teams in all bad positions they get good picks and we have some great young players that were selected correctly, but unfortunately they have been insulated by some of the worst and most expensive supporting crew anyone could find. Only ones to come off the following garbage list this summer is Sutter Baertchi and Spooner

$6 million Eriksson
$4.375 million Sutter
$3.5 million Ferland
$3 million Beagle
$3 million Roussell
$2.5 million Virtanen
$2.5 million Baertchi
$1 million Spooner

There are still a few Benning supporters among us Canucks fans but they generally wont go into our sub forum as their arguments are eaten alive, but here on the main boards they appear more and praise Benning left right and centre, which is really embarrassing for Canucks fans so Im sure some of them may appear here.

Seems like Canucks players are potentially fed up with this as well:

Courtesy of the @IslandBeast :

- picking Virtanen 6th, a meathead with a busted up shoulder over Ehlers/Nylander
- Kesler deal which lead to Bonino )who we used to overpay for Sutter), Sbisa who we gave a crippling contract to and 24th overall(McCann) (who we then used for Gudbranson). That Kesler trade created multiple disasters. Literally would of been better off just terminating Kes's contract and letting him go for free. Like actually..
-traded a 2nd for Vey lol

- Bonino + 2nd rd pick + Clendenning(got for Forsling who still plays) for Sutter and a 3rd. Sutter crippling contract ensued.
- Baertschi for 2nd
- Sbisa 3x$3.6million + Sutter 5x$4.375 million
-Willie D as coach

- McCann + 2nd + 4th for Gudbranson + 5th
- Juolevi pick over Tkachuk
- The holy grail. Sir Loui Eriksson, signed 6 x 6. This ****in guy is still on our roster
- Two straight drafts without a 2nd round pick at the beginning of a very important transitioning stage for the franchise

- I'll never forget the Gagner signing, my personal most underrated "wtf" moment. Just such an unnecessary signing for too much term and too much money. We didn't need the player nor the contract. 3 years x 3.15 mil
- Delzotto almost the same feeling but got 1 less year on his deal at least. 2 years x 3 mil for a 6/7 d-man
- Gudbranson extension 1 year x 3.5. So you have one more year to realize he's a #6 d-man.
- Picked Pettersson at 5, though most have recognized was his scouts and he wanted Glass

2017 might of been Benning's least destructive year but the damage had already been done

-Roussel 4yrs x 3 mil
- Beagle 4yrs x 3 mil
- Schaller 2yrs x 1.9mil .... like wtf, why?
- Gudbranson big extension after finding out he's a #6 d-man 3yrs x 4 mil
- Baertschi extension 3 yrs x 3.3 mil

Hughes falls into Jim's lap at the 2018 draft so all is forgotten and the casuals remain pleased

- Ferland 4 yrs x 3.5 mil. Signing a player with concussion history to come in and play heavy. Goes well with Virtanen and his bunged up shoulder I guess? Benning likes his damaged goods.
-On a serious note, hoping nothing but the best for Ferland as someone who has suffered PCS for approx 7 years myself I hope it goes away for him asap. No fun. I could easily see this one coming, judging his recovery timelines etc etc I've been there done that.
- Myers 5 yrs x 6 mil Too soon? Alright well let's revisit in like a year

Thankfully Benning has mainly run out of assets to give away and has no money left to spend but he still did his worst

Madden + 2nd for Toffoli for 10 games...............................
Resigned Jake
Holtby 2yrs x 4.4 mil
0 first round picks
0 second round picks
Ran out of time to sign Toffoli
Let Tanev go

ZERO PICKS IN THE TOP 80

Benning has publically been trying to remain competitive, get to the playoffs each year, create a safe work environment and acquire youth. He has done none of this all while spending 3/4 of a BILLION dollars and recording the worst record in the NHL during his tenure. We have acquired some youth simply by finishing last and taking high rated prospects. We are at where we are now in terms of youth simply because time has passed

We are doing worse than teams who are publically not trying to win games, not remain competitive, not get to the playoffs and are spending as little money as possible. That is the definition of how and why someone should be fired...you're doing worse than teams that are trying to do worse than you

More crap from the earlier years 2014-2017.

3rd for Pedan
Forsling for Clendenning
4th + Pedan(3rd) for Pouliot
5th + Kassian for Prust(2.5mil)
Jensen + 6th for Etem.
5th for Larsen

Canucks use to be a good and therefore hated team. But we are beyond irrelevant now, so what do you think of the Benning regime in Vancity?

Last edited:

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
as an Oiler fan I can relate ! we had a whole bunch of stupid signings and trades that hurt this team, most notably the trades of Hall and Eberle that completely drained our scoring depth for Larsson, who's played OK and might get re-signed, and Ebs went for Ryan Strome who went for Ryan Spooner who went for Sam Gagner who went for Andreas Athanasiou who wasn't re-signed ! :dunce: :facepalm: :shakehead

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Live in Vancouver as an Oiler fan. [MOD] Benning is easily the closest thing to Chia I've seen with my own eyes and I don't wish that on ANYONE.

Lots of good takes from Vancouver radio today ranging from Aqua being cheap and not wanting to pay 2 manager salaries or him just being too stubborn to give in to his fans' requests. Regardless, this was a very very strange move for a franchise that seems like they need a refresh rather than a rebuild.

Last edited by a moderator:

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
But you guys loved Benning after last year.
No, check out our board after the playoffs last year. We had the same crippling contracts in last playoffs. Most recognize our team was badly outplayed by LVGK and saved by elite goaltending by Markstrom and Demko. It gave an illusion but most were not fooled

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I still remember how Bergevin publicly called Benning out for being a buffoon and publicly talking about trade rumors/attempts he made at acquiring PK Subban, when Habs were trying to keep it hush hush back in 2016.

As a Habs fan I still hate the PK trade, maybe more than anyone on this forum - but it was still extremely amateurish and just incompetent of a GM like Benning to publicly discuss a rumor like that. Trade talks are supposed to be 100% confidential - I couldn't understand that level of ineptitude. You simply don't go talking to the media about a player on another team lol - never seen that before.

Clearly - things have only gone downhill since.

I still voted option 3. OP - your love for my Habs played a role in my vote ;)

Reactions: Sundinisagod

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'd probably rather have him than Yzerman at this point as a Wings fan

maybe he'd get rid of Jeff Blashill

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
I still voted option 3. OP - your love for my Habs played a role in my vote ;)
The thread and poll relate to the Canucks and their management, please focus on that please and thanks

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hes fine IMO, mid range GM.

Canucks fan seem to really hate him but I bet next year they are much better for the year they just had.

2020 was always going to regress, he failed by noy trading away assets but I can understand why he did not.

2021 is par for the course
Demko for Markstrom was a good move
Toffoli not resigning for 4m is bad, but its inconsequential to the future IMO.
Myers is horrible as a move and probably a fireable offense, honestly.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hes fine IMO, mid range GM.

Canucks fan seem to really hate him but I bet next year they are much better for the year they just had.

2020 was always going to regress, he failed by noy trading away assets but I can understand why he did not.

2021 is par for the course
Demko for Markstrom was a good move
Toffoli not resigning for 4m is bad, but its inconsequential to the future IMO.
Myers is horrible as a move and probably a fireable offense, honestly.

Toffoli scored 50+ points once in his career, I don't blame Benning at all for not resigning him at that number.

I mean, had he not given out some of those bad contracts he could've afforded to keep him given he seemed like a good fit but still.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Toffoli scored 50+ points once in his career, I don't blame Benning at all for not resigning him at that number.

I mean, had he not given out some of those bad contracts he could've afforded to keep him given he seemed like a good fit but still.
Yes, that is true. He is over achieving hard, this isnt a break it situation.

Myers is bad though, probably his worse move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->