Friedman: Canucks talking to Ducks about Virtanen

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
CapFriendly shows Heinen at 2.8, not 3.4
Heinen is owed $2.775m this year. Virtanen is owed $1.7m. So I'm assuming there's a discrepancy over the $1m this year, even though Anaheim pays Virtanen $3.4m next season?

Reactions: David71

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Heinen is owed $2.775m this year. Virtanen is owed $1.7m. So I'm assuming there's a discrepancy over the $1m this year, even though Anaheim pays Virtanen $3.4m next season?

The bolded is probably the issue. With what he's producing currently is there any reason ANA would think Virtanen @ 3.4 is worth it?

Oct 18, 2011
Jones is worth about the same as virtanen. I just like his game more.

virtanen is a better finisher and more polished offensively with a better shot, Jones has a better motor and uses his size better.

max Jones career year in the nhl offensively, matches virtanen’s lowest year. They are only 1.5 years apart in age.
No thanks. Jones is younger, cheaper, and is starting to come along nicely. No reason to trade him at all for Virtanen

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
The bolded is probably the issue. With what he's producing currently is there any reason ANA would think Virtanen @ 3.4 is worth it?

I dont see it as that. Virtanens buyout would be 50k against cap next year and 500k the year after. Its not a problem if they decide hes not worth it after trying him out for rest of the year.

More than likely Aqua not wanting to take on the additional 1mil in payment this year

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
CapFriendly shows Heinen at 2.8, not 3.4

That’s a error on my part. 2.775M is the salary owed this year for Heinen like @belair mentions.

Friedman just says the #’s have to match, so I’m thinking it’s total salary.

For instance(without speaking for value):

Virtanen 1,700,000+ 3,400,000 = 5,100,000
2,775,000(Heinen) + 1,700,000(Milano). =4,475,000

Hypothetically is that close enough for Anaheim to be satisfied $ in/$ out wise ? Who knows what they’ve talked about to match salary I suppose.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Manson’s value is nowhere near what it used to be, but then again, neither is Virtanen’s. Manson could be a guy Anaheim looks to move prior to the expansion draft though.

What happened to him? I don't follow the ducks but everytime we play(ed) against them I always noticed Manson. Dude is a beast.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Friedman just says the #’s have to match, so I’m thinking it’s total salary.

it doesn't really have too..... if Anahiem is interested in Virtanen than so be it... it's not like Virtanen has a crazy contract anyways and its quite manageable. I'm not sure why Friedman has the mindset that a trade has to have 2 players with similar contracts, what's he smoking. Damn I have so little respect for the guy.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
it doesn't really have too..... if Anahiem is interested in Virtanen than so be it... it's not like Virtanen has a crazy contract anyways and its quite manageable. I'm not sure why Friedman has the mindset that a trade has to have 2 players with similar contracts, what's he smoking. Damn I have so little respect for the guy.

$ in, $ out is very much going to be a talking point in every trade while the NHL as a whole and teams individually are losing $ . This has nothing to do with Friedman.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
What happened to him? I don't follow the ducks but everytime we play(ed) against them I always noticed Manson. Dude is a beast.

Manson had his fluky 40 point year and then suddenly got this idea in his head that he's an offensive d-man. He could still be good if he could reign himself in. As things currently stand with him though the Ducks would be better off without him.

Reactions: JTmillerForA1stLOL

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
I don't get what the Ducks are doing but out of the three Cali teams, I think they have the best path to get back to being good. No real bad contracts.
The problem is neither does our management

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Manson had his fluky 40 point year and then suddenly got this idea in his head that he's an offensive d-man. He could still be good if he could reign himself in. As things currently stand with him though the Ducks would be better off without him.
If we managed to get Manson, I'd do cartwheels. He brings exactly what the Canucks are missing and is the ideal partner for Hughes.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If we managed to get Manson, I'd do cartwheels. He brings exactly what the Canucks are missing and is the ideal partner for Hughes.
I hope we trade him tbh, no interest in keeping him when his contract is up and I think teams fighting for playoffs would be interested in his toolset. Hakanpaa provides similar skill set , and drysdale will likely be up with team next year

Depends on what he’s worth tho.

Reactions: wraparound

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I would rather have Max Jones, take the more unproven player but still has more goals than Virtanen in less games.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I would rather have Max Jones, take the more unproven player but still has more goals than Virtanen in less games.

I don’t believe Max Jones is available, unless it’s in a package for a better player than Virtanen (such as PLD earlier this season).

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Seems to be a very long talk!
Bobs just checking to see if the Canucks have any old dmen going down hill we can snag before expansion, so we can pay to protect him and give Seattle a good young dmen we don’t want to give a chance

Reactions: Deuce22

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I don’t believe Max Jones is available, unless it’s in a package for a better player than Virtanen (such as PLD earlier this season).
Max Jones isn't even the throw-in in a PLD trade. He's the asset everyone forgot was even included.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad