Friedman: Canucks talking to Ducks about Virtanen

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
This sounds rude, but I don't mean it that way, but what does that have to do with Virtanen though?

I don't see them being on the same level, value wise, at all.

I mean, what would a trade between the two even look like?

Manson’s value is nowhere near what it used to be, but then again, neither is Virtanen’s. Manson could be a guy Anaheim looks to move prior to the expansion draft though.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
of course, Murray has absolutely no idea how to be a good GM anymore. Virtanen is a nothing player that we literally just traded away in Ritchie. Virtanen does absolutely nothing to solve any of the issues this team is having.

Fire Murray for even discussing this trade.

Heinen is a nothing player. I’d be fine with that change of scenery trade even if Virtanen’s upside is limited at this point.

Beef Cake

Aug 10, 2016
I'd be a bit upset as a canucks fan if all we got was Heinen but I can see the deal happening.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Manson’s value is nowhere near what it used to be, but then again, neither is Virtanen’s. Manson could be a guy Anaheim looks to move prior to the expansion draft though.

Even if we assume their values dropped at a similar rate, Manson started a fair bit higher than Virtanen anyway, since their NHL debuts anyway.

But if it means we get a slightly better rate, sure. I just don't see Virtanen being the main piece for Manson value wise. And I like Virtanen.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Virtanen is a guy that under the right circumstances could do very well. His tools are legit he just picks and chooses when he turns it on.

i can see the price reflecting a bit of the potential.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Friedman update from Saturday Headlines:

Right now as it stands(8:50 PM EST Saturday night) he thinks it's more likely it doesn't happen than that it does. It comes quite simply down to salary next season for Virtanen.

Virtanen: 1.7M salary and then 3.4M next year
Heinen 2.8M salary and then RFA next year.

They've been trying all week and may try again, but at the moment they don't have a solution to match the salary going each way.

Last edited:

Troygambletheforgot

Sep 20, 2020
Trying to pry Manson away with Jake and another player would be in the Canucks best interest with no Edler, Hamonic or Benn next year and Manson is mean which the Canucks don't have plus he's on IR so Canucks have time before needing to make roster moves.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Right now as it stands(8:50 PM EST Saturday night) he thinks it's more likely it doesn't happen than that it does. It comes quite simply down to salary next season for Virtanen.

Heinen 3.4M salary and then RFA next year.

They've been trying all week and may try again, but at the moment they don't have a solution to match the salary going each way.

It's tough to see one, although, what kind of difference could they be talking about? If they want Virtanen for next year he would have to be paid something, maybe $3.4 is too rich but I wonder what the magic number would be.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What's the report on Heinen?
Elliott said on after 40 minutes on Saturday that Heinen does not kill penalties. From the stats his production has declined from his 43 point rookie peak.

so it’s not really anything of value if he can’t bring much. What’s the upside here?

maybe it’s the cash in the way virtanen’s contract is structured. He gets like $1.7 this season and jumps to $3.4 next season. A whole $900k more than his cap hit next season.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Trying to pry Manson away with Jake and another player would be in the Canucks best interest with no Edler, Hamonic or Benn next year and Manson is mean which the Canucks don't have plus he's on IR so Canucks have time before needing to make roster moves.
That might not be a realistic possibility.

Reactions: Vipers31

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Heinen 3.4M salary and then RFA next year.

CapFriendly shows Heinen at 2.8, not 3.4

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Odd trade target honestly. Heinen looks like a Pearson replacement, but likely goes unqualified at the $2.85m price tag.

What are they worried about though? Money owed this season?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't get what the Ducks are doing but out of the three Cali teams, I think they have the best path to get back to being good. No real bad contracts.

Just doing understand why they traded Ritchie for Heinen and then try to get a guy that tries to play like Ritchie and fails? Virtanen is a bad hockey player. Heinen is an okay player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad