Friedman: Canucks talking to Ducks about Virtanen

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
For context/a quick summary of what he says:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/canadiens-run-allen-stretch-give-price-rest/
He’d reported it earlier in the week on radio in Vancouver . He thinks they’re still talking trying to see if there’s a fit, but doesn’t know if it’ll go anywhere.

The issue is Virtanens contract salary next year 3.4M, but he does believe they continue to “grind away at it to see if they can work something out”

Should Canadiens run with Allen for a stretch to give Price rest? - Sportsnet.ca

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The only way the Canucks deal Virtanen is if they get value back in a deal. I doubt they just let him go at this point in the season. If that's the case, then Ducks fans will be pissed at the return lol. I don't see a trade happening here.
I mean what do you consider value...i wouldnt mind virtanen... for the right price

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Im sure you would... lol
Jones is worth about the same as virtanen. I just like his game more.

virtanen is a better finisher and more polished offensively with a better shot, Jones has a better motor and uses his size better.

max Jones career year in the nhl offensively, matches virtanen’s lowest year. They are only 1.5 years apart in age.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

virtanen is a better finisher and more polished offensively with a better shot, Jones has a better motor and uses his size better.

max Jones career year in the nhl offensively, matches virtanen’s lowest year. They are only 1.5 years apart in age.

You forgot to mention the part about money... right now they are proudcing at a similar rate... and really virtanen is going to be a 3rd line winger at best. Which is roughly where Max Jones will be... id rather just save the money and use Max at that spot.

Reactions: Spazkat

gach

Aug 2, 2018
This would be the most Bob Murray move ever. The team is trash and can't score, lets make a trade for a 3rd liner.

If they trade anything of value for him I will be moving into the vocal "Fire Bob" crowd.
I think Canucks are trying to move Virtanen so Murry might be saying make me an offer I can't refuse to take him

Love

Feb 29, 2012
This sounds rude, but I don't mean it that way, but what does that have to do with Virtanen though?

I don't see them being on the same level, value wise, at all.

I mean, what would a trade between the two even look like?

It’s not rude. I don’t know anything about Manson other than his name was in trade rumours recently

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

Jones has just started coming into his own this season so its really not an effective comparison when you factor in their development curves. Max has been one of our more effective players over the past few weeks and plays with an edge that this team is sorely missing. No interest in moving him for Virtanen.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
of course, Murray has absolutely no idea how to be a good GM anymore. Virtanen is a nothing player that we literally just traded away in Ritchie. Virtanen does absolutely nothing to solve any of the issues this team is having.

Fire Murray for even discussing this trade.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
People are forgetting Terry was picked ONE spot infront of Gaudette in the 2015 draft

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Canucks' needs are pretty general. A young top 9 forward with some potential, a good two-way 3C, or a youngish defenceman would be ideal.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Have a feeling it’s for Heinen, hoping it’s not. dudes a vanilla bottom 6 guy. At least virtanen has speed and once in awhile has games where he uses it. Henien to me is like another Gaudette who I’m not very fond of either

Reactions: biturbo19

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
It’s not rude. I don’t know anything about Manson other than his name was in trade rumours recently

RHD on the IR. Useful piece from what I can tell, and Virtanen has not been helping his trade value since last year.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Should be Adam Gaudette + Jake Virtanen for Danton Heinen + Max Jones. Good shakeup for both teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad