Value of: Canucks Taking Your Team's Bad Contracts

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Why would a team do this when they can just make a deal with Seattle to convince them to take said contract?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Alright... there was a thread started on the Canucks board posing the question of what to do with the money the Canucks will save if the Sedins retire after this season. An early solution that is favored by some fans is to take on bad contracts in exchange for picks.

So, lay it on me. We got some cap space. What do you have to offer. Let's see what the market is at for your bad contracts.

Obviously we'd be looking for draft picks and/or prospects.

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for taking Leipsic.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Feel free to keep Del Zotto if he provides value to you guys (frankly, he was in there to reduce the amount of Lehtera's contract you'd be taking on; I'd rather free up a slot on our defense rather than give them another average vet to hold down the kids), Laplante is no problem from my end, but I don't agree with the valuation you're putting on the Blues pick. To me, a first is good enough value to justify dumping both players, especially since Lehtera's deal only has the one year left.
I’m indifferent to keep mdz. I’d say he holds minimal value like a 3rd round pick.

The reason why I evaluate 5M per year totaling 10M for 2 years as a 20th overall pick is based on history. 2 years of bickell at 4M but 4.5M salary cost Chicago teravainen. They did also get a late 2nd and 3rd back. teravainen at the time held more value than where he was selected (18th overall) so 1M in real dollars and 1M per year in cap space plus a better prospect returned a late 2nd and a late 3rd.

Dave bolland was traded with Lawson crouse (former 11th ovr pick) for a 2nd and a 3rd. Bolland had 2 years at 5.5M left. He also was supposed to be someone that could actually contribute as a 3C if not for the injuries.

I’d say 5M per year for 2 years is closer to the value of the 20th overall pick rather than adding in an additional 1.2M in cap space and dollars, not to mention, losing the value of a 3rd round pick in del zotto.

Maybe meet in the middle then, amac, lehtera+ blues 1st + Flyers 2nd for del zotto and Canucks 5th this year, 4th next? Or add on the flyers 3rd round pick to the original?

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
You'd seriously move a chance at Dahlin/Svech (or even Zadina, Boqvist, Tkachuk, etc) for Sam Bennett?

Bennett is as valuable as Virtanen at this point. A 30pt 3C until he proves anything else

Its a Bennett and a 3rd for the 1st, come on now ;) you know it's a good deal for you guys, I just really really really want Brady

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Its a Bennett and a 3rd for the 1st, come on now ;) you know it's a good deal for you guys, I just really really really want Brady

how much is Tre paying you?

I know you guys wont have a table at the draft, but daym you're desperate for a pick lol

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think a far better thread would have been, “if the Canucks win the Rasmus Dahlin or Andrei Svechnikov sweepstakes, what would you be willing to give up if the Canucks offered you Louie Eriksson + 2019 1st so that the Canucks could clear cap space and take a realistic run at someone like Tavares, Carson, or Kane?”
$14 million from the twins isn't enough cap space? No need to deal assets to move Eriksson. He's a sunk cost. Keep him for 2 more years, then move him ala what the Leafs did with Bernier, by paying his signing bonus and letting another team take on his remaining $12 million of cap hit, but only $5 million in actual salary to pay.

What are the good cap dumps to get?

Carolina gave up a 2nd and 3rd to take on Bickell and get Terravinen. TT put up 41 points last year and has 61 so far this season. That's probably better than what you can do with a 2nd and 3rd.

AZ gave up a 2nd and 3rd to take on Bolland and get Crouse.

AZ gave up 20th OA, 53 OA and Vitale to get #16 and take on Datsyuk cap hit with no salary.

Given the way the media and fans have portrayed the value of draft picks, I doubt the Canucks could make these same deals in the upcoming draft and survive the wrath.

Most cap dumps are guys who have some type of NTC and I highly doubt any would want to go to vancouver right now.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
how much is Tre paying you?

I know you guys wont have a table at the draft, but daym you're desperate for a pick lol

Shhhh, but I'm getting about 1/5th of his contract, please keep this on the down low, he doesn't want people to know about his secret weapon

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Lucic needs to go home . Sekera , not that he is a cap dump . Last year he was great this year coming back from an injury he was terrible . I just think if the Oilers are looking to move a D it should be Sekera over Klefbom

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Alright... there was a thread started on the Canucks board posing the question of what to do with the money the Canucks will save if the Sedins retire after this season. An early solution that is favored by some fans is to take on bad contracts in exchange for picks.

So, lay it on me. We got some cap space. What do you have to offer. Let's see what the market is at for your bad contracts.

Andrew ladd, mdc a 2nd and 3rd
For
Nucks 5th

quacktastic93

Dec 9, 2017

Any chance you guys want kessler and bieksa back? Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad