Canucks sued by sports psychologist

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but I recall talk of the Canucks planning to build a secret "mind-room".

Despite the unravelling of this episode, I'm glad to see that not only are the Canucks willing to turn over every stone to improve (something Gillis has built a reputation for doing, with sleep doctors, dieticians and the like) but also that the owner himself is getting personally involved:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...8/bc-canucks-lawsuit-sports-psychologist.html

YouCantYandleThis*

That's pretty shady by Aquilini there. Guessing the "Qualified Canadians" will work for pennies compared to the dude they lured over.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
the more I hear about the Aquilinis the less I like them.

+1. It started with anecdotal things I heard about their unscrupulous practices in the real estate business. Then there was the nonsense over the sale of the team. Since then, this is probably the third or fourth story that I've seen surface about them. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire...

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

For me, it all started with how they screwed their partners in buying the team.

As much as I loathe Messier, I don't have that much problem with him screwing Aquilini out of money a while back.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Despite all the optics that may surround Aquilini, at least it sounds like he's very heavily invested in the well-being of the members of this team:
“During the visit, Aquilini asked the plaintiff to leave his employment with Chelsea FC in order to move to Vancouver and work for the club and the Canucks,” the claim says.

Demichelis declined the offer, the documents indicate, but add that Aquilini returned a second time in 2010 and again in 2011, after the Canucks lost the Stanley Cup Final, to try to persuade him to work for the team.

During the third visit Aquilini told the plaintiff that he was very concerned about the physical and psychological condition of the Canucks players, and the negative impact it had on their performance in the Stanley Cup final,” the claim says.

“Aquilini told the plaintiff that he was the person the Canucks needed to improve the players’ physical and psychological condition, and ultimately, their performance.”

It was brought up by Dado earlier, but you could also say he might be calling his players mentally fragile. :laugh: Perhaps going back to those blowout losses?

If anyone else remembers, Aquaman was in the dressing room after the Game 7 loss apparently consoling the players and saying he loved them, and even going so far as to shoo reporters away with profanity (if memory serves). Seems like an owner who cares deeply about the players.

TurboLemon

Mar 11, 2013
That's pretty shady by Aquilini there. Guessing the "Qualified Canadians" will work for pennies compared to the dude they lured over.

I don't see how this is shady at all. Aquillini wanted to get the best the world has to offer but the Canadian government wouldn't approve a work visa due to there being Canadian sports psychologists that meet the requirements.

Part of the immigration process requires the company to attempt to local employees first before approval being given for foreign workers.

Anzes Eyes

5th line centre
Jun 2, 2011
This story doesn't show shadiness of the Aquilinis, rather the Canadian Immigration policies that necessitate job market evaluations before obtaining work permits for internationals. It doesn't mean the Canucks are not liable to make up for the salary based on their promises but these instances happen all the time in good faith and ignorance.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
If I am thinking about the right guy, he is claiming he lost money after he got sacked by both Chelsea and Milan FC? From what I remember from the blues, their owner over paid him to join the team and the players after about a month zoned him out. There are some very good sports shrinks in Canada and the US and this guy training and process is do different that it is not recognized by many boards.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Have dealt with immigration In my country before. This is very common thing to happen, especially in todays job market. I've even heard of people that have worked for years suddenly not being able to extend there work visas for no reason but that locals can do their job. Were as in the past it has not been a problem. Also dose not surprise me that those on the west coast would describe a filthy rich family as they have.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
This story doesn't show shadiness of the Aquilinis, rather the Canadian Immigration policies that necessitate job market evaluations before obtaining work permits for internationals. It doesn't mean the Canucks are not liable to make up for the salary based on their promises but these instances happen all the time in good faith and ignorance.

Yeah they might have gotten away with the first facilitation but then when it was up for renewal the government probably got them - especially with a salary that big.

Or they're slimy. Whichever. lol.

Towel-Power

GoCanucksGo
Apr 1, 2007
HomeoftheClassless
Despite all the optics that may surround Aquilini, at least it sounds like he's very heavily invested in the well-being of the members of this team:

It was brought up by Dado earlier, but you could also say he might be calling his players mentally fragile. :laugh: Perhaps going back to those blowout losses?

If anyone else remembers, Aquaman was in the dressing room after the Game 7 loss apparently consoling the players and saying he loved them, and even going so far as to shoo reporters away with profanity (if memory serves). Seems like an owner who cares deeply about the players.
:laugh:
That's kind of weird...

John Bender*

Me too. They are business men first though I guess. Seems to me they are a lot like McCaw was. Money first, everything else second...........but then I guess that's why they are all m/billionaires.

To be honest, I detest most of the Canuck leadership. Gillis is pretentious ego-maniac, and Frank Aquilini is a slimy d-bag. That said, I don't really care who runs the team, as long as they spend to the cap and win.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Umm getting sued and screwing people out of deals is exactly what big business is. You guys think you get rich by patting everyone on the back and overpaying? It's business.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but I recall talk of the Canucks planning to build a secret "mind-room".

Despite the unravelling of this episode, I'm glad to see that not only are the Canucks willing to turn over every stone to improve (something Gillis has built a reputation for doing, with sleep doctors, dieticians and the like) but also that the owner himself is getting personally involved:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...8/bc-canucks-lawsuit-sports-psychologist.html

Gillis Sleep doctor clearly failed. Have you seen the bags under his eyes?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I thought it was because he liked to go to WINGS and destroying those intense hot wings.

Nah it's from hookers and blow, that's what big business is about. Seriously the same parts of the brain that are stimulated when youre rewarded with money are the same parts that light up when youre on cocaine. Type A1 personalities

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->