Canucks sued by sports psychologist

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by MarkMM, Mar 10, 2013.

1. MarkMM

MarkMM Registered User

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but I recall talk of the Canucks planning to build a secret "mind-room".

Despite the unravelling of this episode, I'm glad to see that not only are the Canucks willing to turn over every stone to improve (something Gillis has built a reputation for doing, with sleep doctors, dieticians and the like) but also that the owner himself is getting personally involved:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...8/bc-canucks-lawsuit-sports-psychologist.html

2. That's pretty shady by Aquilini there. Guessing the "Qualified Canadians" will work for pennies compared to the dude they lured over.

3. Virtanen2Horvat

Virtanen2Horvat BoHorvat53

High School
    Wow this could have helped players rehab from the finals. Now the team gets sued. It is clear that the Canucks have changed since the final.

4. Hollywood Burrows

Hollywood Burrows Registered User

the more I hear about the Aquilinis the less I like them.

5. LetangInTheSO

LetangInTheSO Registered User

+1. It started with anecdotal things I heard about their unscrupulous practices in the real estate business. Then there was the nonsense over the sale of the team. Since then, this is probably the third or fourth story that I've seen surface about them. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire...

6. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Fire Benning

For me, it all started with how they screwed their partners in buying the team.

As much as I loathe Messier, I don't have that much problem with him screwing Aquilini out of money a while back.

7. vanuck

vanuck But Gillis...!!!

Despite all the optics that may surround Aquilini, at least it sounds like he's very heavily invested in the well-being of the members of this team:
    It was brought up by Dado earlier, but you could also say he might be calling his players mentally fragile. :laugh: Perhaps going back to those blowout losses?

If anyone else remembers, Aquaman was in the dressing room after the Game 7 loss apparently consoling the players and saying he loved them, and even going so far as to shoo reporters away with profanity (if memory serves). Seems like an owner who cares deeply about the players.

8. TurboLemon

TurboLemon Registered User

I don't see how this is shady at all. Aquillini wanted to get the best the world has to offer but the Canadian government wouldn't approve a work visa due to there being Canadian sports psychologists that meet the requirements.

Part of the immigration process requires the company to attempt to local employees first before approval being given for foreign workers.

9. The Stig

The Stig R.I.P. Fugu <3

My dad deals with them once and a while because he runs a construction company. He told me the day they bough the Canucks that theyre the biggest slimeballs he's ever met in his life.

10. Anzes Eyes

Anzes Eyes 5th line centre

This story doesn't show shadiness of the Aquilinis, rather the Canadian Immigration policies that necessitate job market evaluations before obtaining work permits for internationals. It doesn't mean the Canucks are not liable to make up for the salary based on their promises but these instances happen all the time in good faith and ignorance.

11. Archangel

Archangel Registered User

Number cruncher for Fisheries
    If I am thinking about the right guy, he is claiming he lost money after he got sacked by both Chelsea and Milan FC? From what I remember from the blues, their owner over paid him to join the team and the players after about a month zoned him out. There are some very good sports shrinks in Canada and the US and this guy training and process is do different that it is not recognized by many boards.

12. Stories Tales Lies

Stories Tales Lies and Exaggerations

Have dealt with immigration In my country before. This is very common thing to happen, especially in todays job market. I've even heard of people that have worked for years suddenly not being able to extend there work visas for no reason but that locals can do their job. Were as in the past it has not been a problem. Also dose not surprise me that those on the west coast would describe a filthy rich family as they have.

13. Barney Gumble

Barney Gumble Registered User

14. mossey3535

mossey3535 Registered User

Yeah they might have gotten away with the first facilitation but then when it was up for renewal the government probably got them - especially with a salary that big.

Or they're slimy. Whichever. lol.

15. Towel-Power

Towel-Power GoCanucksGo

:laugh:
    That's kind of weird...

16. John Bender*

John Bender* Guest

Me too. They are business men first though I guess. Seems to me they are a lot like McCaw was. Money first, everything else second...........but then I guess that's why they are all m/billionaires.

To be honest, I detest most of the Canuck leadership. Gillis is pretentious ego-maniac, and Frank Aquilini is a slimy d-bag. That said, I don't really care who runs the team, as long as they spend to the cap and win.

17. stickside

stickside Registered User

slumlord millionairres

18. Reign Nateo

Reign Nateo Registered User

Home Page:
    Umm getting sued and screwing people out of deals is exactly what big business is. You guys think you get rich by patting everyone on the back and overpaying? It's business.

19. Johnny Canucker

Johnny Canucker Registered User

Gillis Sleep doctor clearly failed. Have you seen the bags under his eyes?

20. Dr Awesome

Dr Awesome Yak in the city

I thought it was because he liked to go to WINGS and destroying those intense hot wings.

21. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Smeg off

Tradesperson
    Nah it's from hookers and blow, that's what big business is about. Seriously the same parts of the brain that are stimulated when youre rewarded with money are the same parts that light up when youre on cocaine. Type A1 personalities

22. Johnny Canucker

Johnny Canucker Registered User

All I know is I would want Zero part in any sort of sleep advice from Mike Gillis

23. vanuck

vanuck But Gillis...!!!

But how do you know he sleeps at all? ;)