Canucks situation

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Unless they're going for the full fledged Oilers style rebuild and Schneider would've hindered them from winning games, that isn't the right answer.

Similarly, it's hard to call it an upgrade of any sort when you're trading your best player for a draft pick.

King of the ES*

just a semi-rebuild.......we still contend for the cup since we got Torts instead of one of the other coaches

I'm very happy with the Tortorella signing, but there is no way that today's Vancouver Canucks are contending for the Stanley Cup.

At the moment, it's the team that got swept against the Sharks, minus their best goaltender, minus Keith Ballard. Things can change over the course of the summer, yes, but given our cap situation, none of us should be optimistic.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I'm very happy with the Tortorella signing, but there is no way that today's Vancouver Canucks are contending for the Stanley Cup.

At the moment, it's the team that got swept against the Sharks, minus their best goaltender, minus Keith Ballard. Things can change over the course of the summer, yes, but given our cap situation, none of us should be optimistic.

Nor really a minus

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I think they are just trying to survive.

They are simply doing what needs to be done to actually field a roster next year.

Booth can't be bought out because he is injured.

Ballard is being bought out.

They needed to trade one decent player and take no salary back, so moving Schneider for a decent draft pick was pretty much the only option.

They will ride out the season and see where they stand.

If the Sedins want out after next season, they will do a full scale rebuild. If they want to resign, who knows?

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
Small re-tool which will determine where the team goes. Will see what free agants/trades will be made but I would not expect anything earth shattering like ehrhoff

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I think they are just trying to survive.

They are simply doing what needs to be done to actually field a roster next year.

Booth can't be bought out because he is injured.

Ballard is being bought out.

They needed to trade one decent player and take no salary back, so moving Schneider for a decent draft pick was pretty much the only option.

They will ride out the season and see where they stand.

If the Sedins want out after next season, they will do a full scale rebuild. If they want to resign, who knows?

We are going to look like one young team in the next year or two.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Still plenty of time to go before the upcoming season, lot can happen yet. Really excited about our picks at the draft. And I think we can still compete for the Cup this year, any time you make the playoffs you have a chance and I don't really see us missing the playoffs.

Don't quote me on that however, not going to make any assumptions.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
How can you think we're rebuilding?

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Booth Kesler Burrows
Higgins open Hansen
Completely open

Edler Garrison
Hamhuis Bieksa
Open Tanev

Luongo
Lack

Torts

Prospects who have a shot Jensen, Schroeder, Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Lain, Corrado

This isn't a rebuilding team its a playoff team that has the talent that could win it all if it can be lucky and stay healthy. We now have some solid prospects pushing for spots and some who are legit top line potential. Canucks are in a great position in avoiding a full out rebuild and sucking for years. Torts should be able to give this core a kick in the ass.

yoss

May 25, 2011
It may be impatience on my part and i'm not knowledgeable about how they develop young guys etc. but when Gillis said that the young players are going to have a chance to crack the line-up this year and the whole emphasis on that, I wonder if Horvat/Shinkaruk have a shot to see action this year?

Shinkaruk seemed to think he could ( thoughI'm sure they all think that) and from what people have been saying Horvat is one of the more potentially NHL ready prospects.

Any thoughts on how likely this might be? Maybe the combination of Torts and some good young prospects will up the compete level of our other young guys like Kassian, Gaunce, Shroeder etc. when they're all righting for a roster spot.

Looking forward to training camp and preseason this year.

earl grey

all the best posts
Apr 21, 2013
This is some change. The fans calling for change, now in tears that something is being done. Typical fickle canuck fans. THE SKY IS FALLING!

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I don't think we'll know until we know whether Luongo or one of Lack/Eriksson/aging Russian UFA is our #1 next season.

Well if anyone really thinks that anyone but Lou is the starter next year then their opinion will be clouded as to the direction of the Canucks here and now.

I like what they did on the weekend but there is probably too much of an age gap between the young guys being able to help on a serious SC run and the aging core which is really too old to win a first SC.

I mean it could happen but man it's extremely unlikely from what we know and have seen in the NHL for heck the last 50 years.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Well we need a 3rd line center and a 4th line center, Horvat and Gaunce could fit those roles very nicely, so I would think Horvat has a shot but I would think they will want him to have another year to develop, it all comes down to how he does at camp.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
How can you think we're rebuilding?

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Booth Kesler Burrows
Higgins open Hansen
Completely open

Edler Garrison
Hamhuis Bieksa
Open Tanev

Luongo
Lack

Torts

Prospects who have a shot Jensen, Schroeder, Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Lain, Corrado

This isn't a rebuilding team its a playoff team that has the talent that could win it all if it can be lucky and stay healthy. We now have some solid prospects pushing for spots and some who are legit top line potential. Canucks are in a great position in avoiding a full out rebuild and sucking for years. Torts should be able to give this core a kick in the ass.

My guess Corrado, Lain, Gaunce in. Ballard, Raymond, Lappy out. So I voted upgrade.

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
I was not sure what the difference was between upgrading and retooling.

As for where the Canucks are this week as opposed to last week, I think it can be argued that they are better.

(And that is not to overlook the fact that Gillis is being destroyed in the court of public opinion for not trading Luongo two years ago, and I understand why.)

They are better because they are paying less for starter-quality goaltending and have or will shortly have room to sign the rest of a team, which they sure as heck did not have with two number one goalies.

As for the new kids, who can say? Maybe they will be the second comings of Jason Bonsignore. On the other hand, I am excited by the Canucks' situation. For financial reasons I think they will be forced to play a Kid Line - and I love the energy that a Kid Line brings to a veteran squad. I am intrigued by the change of voice in the coaching ranks and what that might do.

Above all, I am pleased that the Canucks are being scoffed at and scorned by the rest of the league. After all the guff that this core has taken -- above all, our ex captain and former franchise player -- I would be eager to take all of that negativity and condescension and cram it straight up the opposition.

StringerBell

It's a definite retool. Management is stocking up on prospects to take transition into our new core while still staying competitive today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->