Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Ty Young 3 year ELC (slide eligible)

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
IMG_3791.jpg

Sorry link not working for me

Attachments

• IMG_3791.png
    IMG_3791.png
    626 KB · Views: 1

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Part Deux.
I remember hearing something about this. A counter point. Can’t remember exactly what it was but it was specifically about signing players when they are younger and there’s an advantage. I’ll see if I can dig it up.

7 goalies under contract at once has to be a record.
Martin I don’t think will be around by the time the year starts.

Reactions: Indiana and andora

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
In Clark We Trust.

Seriously, I doubt this gets signed without his endorsement, and I trust his judgement.

I like Clark and he was a rose in a field of turds in the Canucks and coaching staff. It seems like every time we sign or draft a goalie the talk is how Clark will develop them or turn their game around, or how they must be a good signing because Clark approved. Clark has done a very good job with promising young goalies like Markstrom, Demko, and Bobrovsky. He can’t turn back time though like we’ve seen with Halak and Holtby, and he isn’t going to develop every goalie prospect like we’ve seen with Dipietro.

Even if Clark likes what he has seen from him in camp there is no harm in seeing if it continues this season in Junior.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
To me, Young has looked like a CIS-bound journeyman every time I've seen him in the WHL and every time I've seen him play in a Canucks camp.

Again, do not like this signing. I expected he'd be a guy whose rights we'd relinquish in June.

It's interesting because new management have been (correctly) hardcore in their dealings with the 2020 and 2021 Benning picks and have signed almost none of them. But now they're dealing with *their* picks, and to me this reeks of the same sunk-cost bad judgement we've seen with literally every management group dating back to the 1990s.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Well someone got all the Ys in the thread title this time, so there's that I guess.

Not sure I'm getting the strategy with these signings and hope they aren't just dead contract slots in a couple years.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Some weird fetish this regime has with ELCs. Maybe it’s a PR thing to try and prove they actually have a farm system.

Reactions: Breakers

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Maybe they forgot they had exclusive rights to these guys, and wanted to get them locked up before they left camp.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
There are small cap benefits to signing entry-level contracts that slide. A player's signing bonus is paid immediately upon signing the contract. When the contract slides, those signing bonuses no longer count toward the player's remaining camp hit. That gives the player a lower cap hit on their entry-level contract, which can be beneficial if that player makes the NHL during that contract.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don’t get this signing. It’s already difficult to project goalies and Young hasn’t proven himself to be elite at the WHL level. At least with Silovs signing him allows the Canucks to control where he plays which may have some value. Young is young though.

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
Although I'm not skilled at assessing goalies, I couldn't shake the feeling of unease when watching Young play. It seemed like there was more scrambling compared to Tolopilo.

The G position seems to be the least concerning issue for this team. After reading about the potential cap savings (which I suspect won't be substantial), I could at least try to understand the management's rationale behind signing Mynio. However, I can't understand this signing as I don't see him ever making the team during this contract.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
There are small cap benefits to signing entry-level contracts that slide. A player's signing bonus is paid immediately upon signing the contract. When the contract slides, those signing bonuses no longer count toward the player's remaining camp hit. That gives the player a lower cap hit on their entry-level contract, which can be beneficial if that player makes the NHL during that contract.

I have no problem with signing high-ish profile guys like Brzustewicz early, but there is absolutely no chance that happens with Young, who is at best the 3rd best goalie prospect in our system.

Even in the best-case scenario with Young he probably will have similar value to someone like Tolopilo at the end of the year.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
This(with the Mynio one) is the exactly kind of contract we don't need. Watch us have to make a sub-optimal decision due to the 50 contact limit in the next year or two. Not to judge them as players even, but they aren't closer to pro hockey yet.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Happy for the kid, but I don't get this one. Why not wait to see how his season goes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad