Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Marc Michaelis

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Think you have to give the credit where the credit is due. Apparently this wasn't a Brackett find. Benning credited former Utica Comets Director of Hockey Operations, Pat Conacher with identifying Michaelis.

That may well be true. Otoh, I doubt that Benning would give Brackett credit for anything at all right now and don't trust his statements to be true.

I'd been surprised that Michaelis chose the Canucks, but it appears there was a very good reason for it. He has a 1-way deal at $700,000. I don't know whether that's ever been done for an undrafted NCAA free agent. Since Michaelis will be 25 years old on September 15 he's not subject to the entry level compensation system so the Canucks aren't limited in what they can pay at the minor league level.

It's similar to the way Benning got Rafferty and Teves to sign, though more extreme. In their cases he signed them to a 1 year elc, burned year immediately and signed both of them to two year deals for 2019-21, the 2nd year being 1-way.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Heading into this NCAA season, Michaelis was listed as probably one of the top college UFA's available.....and he did nothing to dispel that assessment by scoring over 40 points and becoming a finalist in the Hobey Baker voting.

So yes, I was surprised as well that he chose the Canucks, although Benning says he was one of the guys the Canucks targeted all season.

Could be that they promised him a shot at playing center in the Canucks system, after losing a top center college center in Madden at the deadline. Or maybe he followed the progress of Brogan Rafferty, another 24 year old college UFA who spent a full four years at Quinnipiac.

But apparently he's a friend of Leon Draisaitl, so you'd have thought that Edmonton would have taken a run at signing him.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks Army in its' detailed analysis of Michaelis, gives him about a 1-10 chance of being an everyday player for the Canucks.

Not bad, considering all it cost them was a one-year salary term and one contract slot. And I'm guessing better odds than any draft pick in the 3-7 range.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think Michaelis has quietly had a solid camp. He's an older prospect, so there's a chance he goes on to the taxi squad. He'll be the first callup if one of the Canuck centers goes down with injury or underperforms.

Frankly I'd like to have seen Green experiment with a fourth line of Michaelis between a couple of big wingers like MacEwen and Bailey....but without any exhibition games that won't happen. I still think this Canuck lineup is lacking in size and grit.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think Michaelis has quietly had a solid camp. He's an older prospect, so there's a chance he goes on to the taxi squad. He'll be the first callup if one of the Canuck centers goes down with injury or underperforms.

Frankly I'd like to have seen Green experiment with a fourth line of Michaelis between a couple of big wingers like MacEwen and Bailey....but without any exhibition games that won't happen. I still think this Canuck lineup is lacking in size and grit.
Green icing an entire 4th line without a PK’er he trusts is a pipe dream. That’s the issue with this roster. A 3rd line of Gaudette, Virtanen, Roussel will always ensure that the 4th line has to have at least 2 and ideally 3 Green-approved PK’ers(Motte, Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson).

The bottom 6 is just a weird/awkward fit of players. There’s guys who can score a bit but need soft minutes and PK’ers who get caved in at 5v5 and provide very little offense. Top tier teams usually have 1 bottom 6 line that can handle themselves against scoring lines at 5v5, this team doesn’t.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Kudos to Benning.

A small small win to that side of the ledger.

Well, a small, small, small win.

OK OK - a small, small, small, small win.

Fine! It doesn't move the needle at all, but never let it be said credit is not given when credit is doo.
We're working from home -- you can't tell me you don't have the spare time to find some way to tie this signing to the Gudbranson trade and discredit it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know it'll never happen out of the gate because Green loves his veterans....but Jay Beagle should be on notice. Michaelis will eventually be a much better option for the fourth line, particularly if he can refine his penalty-killing skills. He plays a solid tw0-way game, and makes his wingers around him better.

Gone are the days when you can afford to throw a fourth line out there that isn't capable of generating anything offensively, and consistently gets buried in terms of defensive zone possession.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Green icing an entire 4th line without a PK’er he trusts is a pipe dream. That’s the issue with this roster. A 3rd line of Gaudette, Virtanen, Roussel will always ensure that the 4th line has to have at least 2 and ideally 3 Green-approved PK’ers(Motte, Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson).

The bottom 6 is just a weird/awkward fit of players. There’s guys who can score a bit but need soft minutes and PK’ers who get caved in at 5v5 and provide very little offense. Top tier teams usually have 1 bottom 6 line that can handle themselves against scoring lines at 5v5, this team doesn’t.

Well a lot of that is having players like Virtanen and Gaudette. Both players have not established themselves as top two line players, are better than your average 3rd line in terms of offensive ability, but they aren't guys you can rely upon defensively 5 v 5. I mean if Sutter and Roussel are healthy, a line of Sutter, Motte, and Roussel should hold their own 5 v 5 defensively.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.

We need a guy like Lars Eller who can generate offence at 3rd line center and kill penalties. Like everything Beagle and Gaudette can do except on 1 line.

Reactions: Nucker101

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I actually like Michaelis' game tonight. Nothing flashy, but was solid on a line with Gaudette and Sutter....made the safe play out of his own zone, and certainly appears to have an NHL set of wheels.

It's really unfortunate that with the Canucks floundering in the early going, he hasn't got more of a shot. It's not like the Canucks bottom-six have been world beaters most of the season.

Reactions: B-rock and lindgren

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
It would really be hard to be worse than whatever player he is replacing. Go Michaelis! You got this!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I thought he was OK.

What I dont like is that his last name is just a first name with -is tagged on. Seems lazy to me. If Myers' name was Tyler Tyleris he'd get called out for that so I think its fair to bring up here.
Is this for real? I think if you look him up on Hockey DB, you'll find that 'Michaelis' is actually a 'German name'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->