Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Marc Michaelis

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Marc Michaelis, LW/C, Minnesota State, 5’11” 187 lbs, Senior
The captain of the Mavericks is a German winger who put up five points in 13 games at the 2018 and 2019 IIHF World Championships. This season he put up 20 goals and 44 points in 31 games. Michaelis is a very good skater. He has good speed and acceleration. He can beat a defender to the outside and take the puck to the net. This forces defenders to back off and Michaelis can take advantage of this by using his strong wrist shot and quick release, using the defender as a screen. He also has very good playmaking skills as he reads the play extremely well and can pass the puck through tight areas. Michaelis plays a strong two-way game.

I found this online. Don't expect much but at least he's a good skater and can play a 2-way game. Still, a long shot.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to stories on the web, the Kings were very interested in Michaelis, and wanted to sign him at the end of last season. Maybe we can trade him back to the Kings eventually for Tyler Madden?!

Reactions: Son of Petter

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I would be much more interested in this signing if he was a centre, to be honest. Good signing for Utica if nothing else, but they really need centres.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I always enjoy college free agent signings. Some of them do nothing (Walsky), some of them get traded for viable players (Oberg), and some play reasonably big roles (Tanev, Stecher). Like free draft picks. Excited to see which category Michaelis will fall into.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Gotta have faith in Brackett with this signing.....Michaelis spent some time in the USHL where he'd have been scouted by the Canucks....also also played on both the German WJC team and in the World Hockey Championships....so he's had an interesting career.

Finished third this year in the NCAA Div I scoring race. Who knows with these NCAA signings? Sometimes they turn out like Griffin Molino; or other times like Brogan Rafferty.

For what it's worth, Jimbo quoted as saying that he's 'not far off' actually making the Canucks...so another guy to watch in Utica at least.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
He is a center lol

fron the reports I’ve seen it says he’s a winger. Of course I haven’t seen him play, but I’m guessing neither have you.

Burke’s assessment:
“Marc Michaelis is a big get for the Canucks. He’s a proven producer at the NCAA level, and even if one wants to discount his junior and senior years because of his advanced age, the freshman and sophomore part of his resume stands up, too. There were no doubt countless suitors. Michaelis is at his best with the puck on his stick. He’s an offensive driver with NHL-level instincts and vision. He’s about an NHL-average to below average skater, though, and that might be the one hurdle he needs to clear before he’s a regular for the Canucks. I suspect the club will try to develop him as a left winger.”

https://www.google.com.hk/amp/s/the...l-lockwood-ncaa-free-agent-marc-michaelis/amp

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
fron the reports I’ve seen it says he’s a winger. Of course I haven’t seen him play, but I’m guessing neither have you.

Burke’s assessment:
“Marc Michaelis is a big get for the Canucks. He’s a proven producer at the NCAA level, and even if one wants to discount his junior and senior years because of his advanced age, the freshman and sophomore part of his resume stands up, too. There were no doubt countless suitors. Michaelis is at his best with the puck on his stick. He’s an offensive driver with NHL-level instincts and vision. He’s about an NHL-average to below average skater, though, and that might be the one hurdle he needs to clear before he’s a regular for the Canucks. I suspect the club will try to develop him as a left winger.”

Patrick Johnston: Canucks sign draftee Will Lockwood, NCAA free agent Marc Michaelis
I don’t like hearing his skating is the biggest concern. He is 25, so is he going to get faster? Maybe a little bit, but it’s not like he has growing still to do. He’s a man already.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Free asset is a free asset. Likely not a NHLer, could be a AHLer but no harm in taking a year to see what he can bring.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Free asset is a free asset. Likely not a NHLer, could be a AHLer but no harm in taking a year to see what he can bring.

He sure is at least a AHLer. Michaelis played for Germany at WC. Dont know if he is ready for the NHL.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Gotta have faith in Brackett with this signing.....Michaelis spent some time in the USHL where he'd have been scouted by the Canucks....also also played on both the German WJC team and in the World Hockey Championships....so he's had an interesting career.

Finished third this year in the NCAA Div I scoring race. Who knows with these NCAA signings? Sometimes they turn out like Griffin Molino; or other times like Brogan Rafferty.

For what it's worth, Jimbo quoted as saying that he's 'not far off' actually making the Canucks...so another guy to watch in Utica at least.

Think you have to give the credit where the credit is due. Apparently this wasn't a Brackett find. Benning credited former Utica Comets Director of Hockey Operations, Pat Conacher with identifying Michaelis.

Not having Conacher on hand in Utica led to the ECHL signings by Johnson this past centers to serve as the Comets backups instead of signing AHL level players for that task like the rest of the AHL teams do.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

Burke’s assessment:

Patrick Johnston: Canucks sign draftee Will Lockwood, NCAA free agent Marc Michaelis
Benning said they signed him as a center and he is a natural Center. That’s all I got. Never seen the kid play

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
A big-time NCAA scorer, but he is 24. Maybe the forward version of Brogan Rafferty? Now that's optimism for you!

Well the Canucks really need some centers in Utica to help develop their wingers right?

I think it will be a very interesting offseason in relation to how the Cap is going to work with lost revenues almost certain due to the virus.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He sure is at least a AHLer. Michaelis played for Germany at WC. Dont know if he is ready for the NHL.

Even if he is, he would be part of the bottom 6 logjam the Canucks have every off season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think the Canucks will give Michaelis a twirl as a center, particularly because they lost Tyler Madden at the deadline. And depending what happens in the off-season with some of last year's Utica players on expiring contracts, Michaelis might slot into the center position by default.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad