Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Jett Woo to ELC

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm surprised nobody has complained about Benning giving Woo Schedule A bonuses when Woo has zero leverage. :popcorn:

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I'm surprised nobody has complained about Benning giving Woo Schedule A bonuses when Woo has zero leverage. :popcorn:
My guess is they either didn't notice, or are aware schedule A bonuses are frequently given to 2nd round picks who have good D+1 seasons and that therefore it isn't controversial. His teammate Josh Brook got them after scoring 3 goals and 32 points in his D+1 season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
My guess is they either didn't notice, or are aware schedule A bonuses are frequently given to 2nd round picks who have good D+1 seasons and that therefore it isn't controversial. His teammate Josh Brook got them after scoring 3 goals and 32 points in his D+1 season.

Still...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Meh, like Jim has used leverage in contract negotiations in his history. Paperwork isn’t his forte.

100k isn’t anything to get worked up in any event (how much of a cap hit is half a dozen Eriksson games?)

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014

I realize 2nd round picks often don't get schedule A bonuses. Good ones do. Several other players drafted in the 2nd round recently have. This is a non-story. If you want to criticize Benning, choose from the myriad legitimate avenues to do so. If you're sick of all of them, take a break for a while.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I realize 2nd round picks often don't get schedule A bonuses. Good ones do. Several other players drafted in the 2nd round recently have. This is a non-story. If you want to criticize Benning, choose from the myriad legitimate avenues to do so. If you're sick of all of them, take a break for a while.

Oh don't get me wrong. I think it's a non issue and thank you for pointing out other comparables. I am only expressing my surprise here that nobody here is super mad and criticizing Benning for it. :popcorn:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Meh, like Jim has used leverage in contract negotiations in his history. Paperwork isn’t his forte.

100k isn’t anything to get worked up in any event (how much of a cap hit is half a dozen Eriksson games?)

But it's not just $100K it's supposedly $150K! :sarcasm:

Reactions: Hit the post

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Oh don't get me wrong. I think it's a non issue and thank you for pointing out other comparables. I am only expressing my surprise here that nobody here is super mad and criticizing Benning for it. :popcorn:
Oh shit, my bad.

Reactions: F A N

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Bonuses can be deferred to the following season, generally aren't easily obtainable unless it's a top pick, and if they do attain them, they had a year worthy of earning the bonus.

As long as the rules don't change in terms of how bonuses apply to the cap, Benning could sign every rookie with bonuses for all I care.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
What are the schedule A benchmarks needed for Woo to achieve?

I actually am confident he won't achieve them if they're more offensively focused. I don't believe he will be given a lot of pp time to get a lot of points.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Craig Button projects Woo as a good 2nd pairing Dman and compared Woo to a Ryan Pullock. Would be nice for Woo to develop into that calibre of a player on the 2nd pairing.

Bonuses can be deferred to the following season, generally aren't easily obtainable unless it's a top pick, and if they do attain them, they had a year worthy of earning the bonus.

As long as the rules don't change in terms of how bonuses apply to the cap, Benning could sign every rookie with bonuses for all I care.

Last time that happened was with Boeser and there were outraged posters.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Craig Button projects Woo as a good 2nd pairing Dman and compared Woo to a Ryan Pullock. Would be nice for Woo to develop into that calibre of a player on the 2nd pairing.

From my viewings of Woo he really reminds me of the 'heavy' version of Troy Stecher. He's bigger, stronger, a bit faster, has a much harder shot, and still brings a good level of smarts + skill.

If Woo develops, we'll have a very solid 2nd pair two-way D how can play PP (2nd PP), and PK.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010

edit: Why would you want to toy with the ego and satisfaction of a prize 18 year old defenseman over bonuses which you hope they earn. My theory is that Benning likes paying people a little extra to get that part out of the player's mind, or to at least satisfy their ego and make them feel like they are "as good" as their peers. I don't think this has been the worst overextension of that logic by Benning.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
edit: Why would you want to toy with the ego and satisfaction of a prize 18 year old defenseman over bonuses which you hope they earn. My theory is that Benning likes paying people a little extra to get that part out of the player's mind, or to at least satisfy their ego and make them feel like they are "as good" as their peers. I don't think this has been the worst overextension of that logic by Benning.

Why would you theorize this when you could, instead, believe that this is another example of Benning being bad at negotiating, which is reinforced by just about every contract he has signed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->