Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Jett Woo to ELC

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Have the Canucks ever drafted a true top pairing d-man from the WHL?....Garth Butcher, who I believe played in Regina was a high pick, but really not a top-four guy. Woo might break the Canucks WHL slump.

And I suppose if they were to draft Byram, would they have two members of a future 'top-four' pairing? I defer to posters who watch the WHL far more than I do.
Alex Edler. Kelowna Rockets.
I doubt Utica is good enough to make any real run, they’re in tough to make the playoffs. So I doubt we see Woo play any pro games this season.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Can he sign one despite having an NHL contract, and continue to play indefinitely?
Being 19 his contract slides. Hughes is a designated 20 year old in contract talk, despite still being 19 in actual age.
So he could sign his ATO to play this year, but wouldn’t be eligible due to age next season

nazzy_012

Nov 22, 2006
Trying to temper my expectations as much as possible

This guy seems like he’ll be a sure fire NHL’er

His knock before he was drafted was his poor (relatively) offensive output however it was stated by a couple of posters here that he was used in a shut down role exclusively last year...when he wasn’t responsible for that role he was closer to a ppg defenseman last year

I would much rather have a player that does everything pretty well than a player that has one elite skillset but needs work on other parts of his game

I think he will be a great top 4 guy for us for years to come and will make contributions similar to Sami salo!

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Something positive for once. Can't wait to see what he does. Looks like he has a lot of good tools, and is a prospect I am legit happy about. And of course, he is a Brackett special is he not?

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Jim jumps the lowest possible hurdle by signing his own draft pick and the crowd goes wild!

Seriously, kid looked to have made good progress this year. He’s earned then ELC.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
I echo these thoughts, though I'd like to start a campaign to substitute the good English word "competitiveness" for the hockey jargon phrases "his compete" and "his compete level." But it'd probably be a campaign of one.

You would have at least another one right here. It is a classic case of “there’s a word for that.”

Reactions: lindgren

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Temper expectations folks...

A few guys, including our 2nd rounder from the year previous, were also going to be “sure-fire NHLers”. It’s a big jump to the next level. I like what I see, but potential is just that... potential.

Looking forward to seeing him make the pro jump in 2020/2021.

Reactions: TruKnyte and timw33

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
If he keeps on developing,he'll have the ideal skill set to mesh with one of our offensive LHS D-men like Hughes,Hutton,Rathbone,and Byram.
Too bad we couldn't clone him and have one of him for each pairing.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Impressive season, have to admire his development and him actually working to improve himself. I always imagined him developing into a top 4 defence man with good skating, sound defence and throws hits but this year it looks like he can actually produce some offence too.

Also have to remember he is 18, one more year in the WHL and then off to Utica as soon as he hits 20.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It’s unfortunate that Moose Jaw’s season is almost certainly going longer than Utica’s because it would have been good to get him a few games at that level on an ATO.

Reactions: lindgren

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

I got my head done,
When I was young,
It's not problem,
It's nootttt mmmmmyyyyyyy problem, no,
WOO HOO

Headshape similar to Horvats, bodes well

Just to combine these two quotes...Phrenology from The Roots. 90s hip hop named after the defunct science of measuring head bumps. Wu led me indirectly to The Roots, and even today I can probably finish a verse in my head if a song gets interrupted.

Woo though? Awesome, I know it's hard with the Canucks play, but will anyone going practice this new cheers I've been toying with for him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad