Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Michael Leighton

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So we could have signed Leighton to get DiPietro back to the OHL, then just claimed McKenna to have 3 NHL contracted goalies (and we're pretty high on the priority list).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Only 2 spots left, one of which will most likely be used on Hughes. If they sign Lockwood as well that would leave no spot for a potential college UFA.

They also look to be buyers adding contracts at the deadline.

This is actually pretty funny.

Reactions: Hansen

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

It needs to be mentioned however, that the Canucks are currently sitting at only 46 spots. I replied to the original question without checking but according to capfriendly we still have 4 spots left which should be sufficient unless they go into shopping mode.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Such poor poor asset management.

McKenna on waivers today. Absolutely no need to waste a pick on Marzanec.

1) they lied about the timeline for Demko

2) they put a dent in DiPietro confidence needlessly

3) they wasted a pick needlessly

And the soft as baby poo media won’t even ask them about this debacle.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It needs to be mentioned however, that the Canucks are currently sitting at only 46 spots. I replied to the original question without checking but according to capfriendly we still have 4 spots left which should be sufficient unless they go into shopping mode.

Ah if that’s the case then they’re fine-ish. I was going off the earlier post saying we were at 48 contracts.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Ah if that’s the case then they’re fine-ish. I was going off the earlier post saying we were at 48 contracts.

I have been keeping close watch on this all season and I ahd the number at 45 before Mazanec. H e would make 46 and now Leighton would be 47.

Someone with some real credentials needs to officially clear this number up.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I have been keeping close watch on this all season and I ahd the number at 45 before Mazanec. H e would make 46 and now Leighton would be 47.

Someone with some real credentials needs to officially clear this number up.

Gadjovich slides based on when he signed his contract. Lind - despite being the same age, drafted in the same round, and turning pro at the same time - does not. So that might be your difference.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

They are not buying
The only rumour so far is Johansen and all it says was Benning is interested in this player.
Chill, nothings is gonna happen this deadline

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
They are not buying
The only rumour so far is Johansen and all it says was Benning is interested in this player.
Chill, nothings is gonna happen this deadline

That is still TBD IMHO. If the Canucks win a few games and are in 8th I see a few minor moves. If they lose, nothing.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Gadjovich slides based on when he signed his contract. Lind - despite being the same age, drafted in the same round, and turning pro at the same time - does not. So that might be your difference.

Contract still counts towards the 50 even if it slides. Only contracts that don't count are if the player is in junior.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm curious to see how Benning supporters can spin this

I'm pretty neutral on the whole Benning thing. He's made better moves recently, but there's a lot of dead weight on the roster that's all on his shoulders. There might also be some pending dead weight in Roussel and Beagle, but at least this season they've been exactly what we needed in the bottom six.

As for the goalie situation, I honestly feel like they didn't think Leighton was going to be ready to play and expected him to be a stopgap at best. He showed he could play and seeing as McKenna has looked awful in the AHL they decided to go with him as third on their depth chart. This bumps Mazanec to fourth on the depth chart and he'll be down to the AHL once Demko is healthy.

As to why they didn't do all this sooner, Leighton probably took time to decide if he wanted to play again this season and then there was more time to actually report to Utica and play himself into shape. The Mazanec thing was a casualty of them playing wait and see with McKenna and getting screwed by the Flyers. I can see the logic in waiting but it's not the choice I would have made.

The same goes for how the McKenna trade was handled, I get wanting Demko up ASAP, and they likely didn't have many options for where to send Nilsson for a goalie in return but if they'd waited two weeks or made Ottawa waive McKenna before the trade nobody gets claimed and we never get into this mess at all. They could have also made the trade and waited on bringing Demko up until the Flyers and Leafs had sorted their goalie issues. Everything after McKenna getting claimed is due to Benning not having planned for McKenna getting claimed and then trying to play it cool in what would usually be a low-risk low-reward type of move. It didn't pan out, but honestly, we're not exactly far behind for having tried it.

Realistically we lost one game for having started DiPietro, it probably won't hurt his development long term and if it did he likely wasn't a prospect anyway. Beyond that, we've picked up two solid goalies for Utica and spent a 7th round pick and two contract slots to do so. The optics, in this case, are far worse than the actual results which are a slight positive for Utica and a net meh for the Canucks.

Reactions: DarrenX

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm not as bent out of shape as some on the goalie machinations. Mazanec is eight years younger than McKenna and has a lot more NHL experience. And Leighton is only two years older than McKenna and again, has some NHL experience.

Actually, assuming Demko is good to go in the next couple of weeks and returns to backup Markstrom, the duo of Leighton and Mazanec in Utica is pretty decent by AHL standards.

And as far as the seventh rounder, isn't that the same one they acquired from the Ducks in the Del Zotto deal? So it becomes Schenn and Mazanec for Del Zotto, a guy who couldn't get out of the pressbox in VanCity. Pretty tough to argue with any of it.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
We spent a 7th round pick to have Mazanek backing up Markstrom instead of Leighton backing up Markstrom for 1 game.

The sad thing is that Benning doesn't even have the self awareness to understand how he could have handled this better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad