Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Michael Leighton

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Oh I just checked this thing which I guess didn't account for the waivers previously this year?
Marek Mazanec Waivers Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Interesting.

On February 13 the Province reported that Mrazanec had 20 days eligibility left.
"Mazanec is signed to an NHL contract through the end of this season. He also cleared waivers earlier this season and so has 20 NHL roster days of waiver-free eligibility remaining." Patrick Johnston: Tightrope-walking Canucks finally net NHL experience in depth goalie Marek Mazanec

At the time I went to capfriendly, went through all the moves on Mrazanec back to when he last cleared waivers and came up with the same. On seeing your post I went through the transactions again and found the following transactions involving Mazanec in 2018-19, up to the time of the trade:

September 29, 2018 waived
September 29, 2018 to minors
October 18, 2018 to NHL
October 22, 2018 to minors
November 14, 2018 to NHL
November 15, 2018 to minors
January 18, 2019 to NHL
January 23, 2019 to minors

Assuming transactions are done before 5 p.m. Eastern time, you don't have count both the start and end days. So Mazanec had time on the Rangers' roster of 4 days (Oct 18-22) + 1 day (Nov 14-15) + 5 days (Jan 18-23) =10 days.

He's played no NHL games this season and at the time of the trade had only used up 10 days of his 30 days on an NHL roster before again needing waivers. He should have had 20 days left when traded to the Canucks.

After the trade there was one further callup transaction for Mazanec. It was February 13, 2019 and showed as Emergency Loan. I can't explain why capfriendly is showing him as waivers-eligible.

As the Canucks were at the time below two healthy NHL goalies (after sending DiPietro back to Junior from his emergency callup) it makes sense that Mazanec's recall would show as being under emergency conditions, but that shouldn't act to reduce his exemption for waivers under Article 13.5 of the CBA.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I don’t think capfriendly accounts for this when showing if someone is “waiver eligible.” They are just showing if he is or isn’t exempt from the overall waiver process based on age/time.

Mazanec is obviously not exempt from the waiver process, he just doesn’t currently need to clear to be sent down because he has cleared recently.

Reactions: Red

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
So theres literally zero explanation for this entire situation over the last 5/6 weeks

Unbelievable

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Oh this is a good point.

The Canucks absolutely should claim him back. ~Posturing~

The Canucks absolutely should not claim him back. He has been very poor since the Philly claim and Leighton has played much better. With Leighton and Mazanec already signed they have no need for McKenna.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Given recent history,it’s likely that Demko’s injury is worse than initially expected and he’s out for awhile yet,maybe for the season.
What a complete and utter write off of a season this has been for Thatcher Demko.

edit..although he is back skating on his own..No idea as far as his timeline coming back

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Signing him now might be as simple as another team making inquiries to Leighton's camp. Whatever the reason, just glad we made it through the goaltending apocalypse of 2019 without having to fold either franchise. Was touch and go there for a few days.

Reactions: Red

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This seems like they should have either signed him a week ago to save wasting a draft pick on Mazanek or not signed him at all unless/until he was needed to avoid wasting a roster spot with Mazanek now in the fold.

Not a huge deal, but weird. As someone else said, all these moves are in the wrong order at the wrong time.

Feels like an overcompensation for getting caught with their pants down and being made fun of in the national media.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
What a circus of ineptitude. Don't the Canucks employ people who know waiver and cap rules? Does the Dummies book series make a GMing For Dummies that Benning could have a look through?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Signing him now might be as simple as another team making inquiries to Leighton's camp. Whatever the reason, just glad we made it through the goaltending apocalypse of 2019 without having to fold either franchise. Was touch and go there for a few days.
Lol

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
What a circus of ineptitude. Don't the Canucks employ people who know waiver and cap rules? Does the Dummies book series make a GMing For Dummies that Benning could have a look through?
We have half the dynamic duo that almost sent their draft picks to Colorado and O’Reilly to Columbus in 2013 and half the dynamic duo that traded Tyler Seguin.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Why couldn't they just have signed Leighton to an AHL contract with the Comets and saved the cap space and the need to put him on waivers? I mean they already have Mazanec and surely Demko has to be back soon...unless the Canucks are fibbing about his injury.

Some of the decisions from this hockey ops group really are head-scratching sometimes.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
Why couldn't they just have signed Leighton to an AHL contract with the Comets and saved the cap space and the need to put him on waivers? I mean they already have Mazanec and surely Demko has to be back soon...unless the Canucks are fibbing about his injury.

Some of the decisions from this hockey ops group really are head-scratching sometimes.

I'm thinking an NHL team came sniffing. Only thing I can think of

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
don't we still have contract spots open? What's the implications of reaching 48 contract spots?

Only 2 spots left, one of which will most likely be used on Hughes. If they sign Lockwood as well that would leave no spot for a potential college UFA.

Reactions: MS

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
This seems like they should have either signed him a week ago to save wasting a draft pick on Mazanek or not signed him at all unless/until he was needed to avoid wasting a roster spot with Mazanek now in the fold.

Not a huge deal, but weird. As someone else said, all these moves are in the wrong order at the wrong time.

Feels like an overcompensation for getting caught with their pants down and being made fun of in the national media.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Did Leighton clear waivers? Isn't it by 12 pm EST or do west coast teams have until 3 EST?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad