Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Michael Leighton

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Why didn't we just sign him instead of trading for Mazanec?

Though at least Utica has two goalies for the rest of the year when Mazanec goes down to the A
If Demko came back, Mazanec has to pass through waivers. If he gets claimed, the Canucks would need to sign a goalie like Michael Leighton, and then he would have to pass through waivers too, so they are just doing it now before Mazanec actually needs to be sent down to be safe. If they lose Mazanec, they still have Leighton who can then come up and go down without passing through waivers. Also, if someone is hungry for a goalie and claims Leighton, it's less likely that Mazanec will get claimed immediately after.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
If Demko came back, Mazanec has to pass through waivers. If he gets claimed, the Canucks would need to sign a goalie like Michael Leighton, and then he would have to pass through waivers too, so they are just doing it now before Mazanec actually needs to be sent down to be safe. If they lose Mazanec, they still have Leighton who can then come up and go down without passing through waivers. Also, if someone is hungry for a goalie and claims Leighton, it's less likely that Mazanec will get claimed immediately after.

Yes. This is them thinking ahead for once. They should have signed him a month ago, but at least now that they got caught with their pants down once they are safeguarding against it happening again.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

I think the 23 player roster limit is lifted after the deadline. So there would be no need to actually waive Mazanec unless you want him to go to Utica. You could just keep him around as #3.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Incredible. We're doing the right moves in the most perfectly wrong order.

And Elliot is back with Philly this week so they'll be waiving McKenna in a few days.

Reactions: MS

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
With Demko's original injury time done, I'd expected Leighton to get signed to an AHL contract to get the Canucks to 3 healthy NHL-contracted goalies (not including DiPietro) and two AHL contracted goalies. They'd been operating until recently with one healthy goalie on an NHL contract and they went four games that way before acquiring Mazanec, so going to four and using up two additional contract slots is a huge change.

Demko was injured February 4, DiPietro recalled February 5 and on February 7 Green was quoted as saying Demko would be out for 10 days with a slight sprain. Canucks' Thatcher Demko out 10 days with 'slight sprain' - Sportsnet.ca

We're beyond the ten day estimate.

Now before signing Leighton the Canucks had two healthy NHL-contracted goalies, and a third supposedly on the way back from injury as Demko had passed the predicted time he'd be out. System-wise they were think with Leighton only on a PTO in Utica, but at the NHL level they were seemingly better off than they've been for a long time.

Now they have two more NHL-contracted healthy goalies and two fewer contract slots than they recently did-with Demko past the original estimate for his return. If Demko really does return shortly the Canucks will have gone from 1 healthy NHL contracted goalie to 4. It is a big turnaround and probably unnecessary for their purposes in that Leighton could have been signed to an AHL deal and if an emergency happened then signed to an NHL contract, saving the contract slot.

I wonder if it is just a change of direction or if there is an additional reason behind it. Perhaps Demko is going to be out for some time yet, perhaps he's ready to come back and they have a trade possibility for Mazanec, perhaps there's a question of the health of one the current two Canucks' goalies, perhaps something else. It just seems odd to me that an organization that was willing to go that low on goalie depth and apparently wasn't willing to spend a single contract slot is now, with their backup due to return if earlier time estimates were accurate, wanting to go to 4 healthy goalies on NHL contracts and use up two contract slots to do so.

I'm not complaining, just surprised so speculating if there is a reason I'm not seeing.

Reactions: FroshaugFan2

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
If Demko came back, Mazanec has to pass through waivers. ...

When the Canucks acquired Mazanec he'd been previously waived and had about 20 days on an NHL roster left before they'd need to waive him again. Unless Demko is going to be out much longer than was originally anticipated, Mazanec won't need to be waived to be sent to Utica.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I think the 23 player roster limit is lifted after the deadline. So there would be no need to actually waive Mazanec unless you want him to go to Utica. You could just keep him around as #3.
Oh this is a good point.

Incredible. We're doing the right moves in the most perfectly wrong order.

And Elliot is back with Philly this week so they'll be waiving McKenna in a few days.
The Canucks absolutely should claim him back. ~Posturing~

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The other thing to consider with this signing is that when we signed him we had no idea if Leighton could even still play goal at an AHL level, let alone an NHL one. As he's gotten back into playing shape it's become clear that he's an AHL level starting goaltender and a good option for a 3rd string goalie for the Canucks this season.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
When the Canucks acquired Mazanec he'd been previously waived and had about 20 days on an NHL roster left before they'd need to waive him again. Unless Demko is going to be out much longer than was originally anticipated, Mazanec won't need to be waived to be sent to Utica.
Oh I just checked this thing which I guess didn't account for the waivers previously this year?
Marek Mazanec Waivers Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Given recent history,it’s likely that Demko’s injury is worse than initially expected and he’s out for awhile yet,maybe for the season.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

You might be thinking of the playoffs for that 23 roster limit being lifted?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I'm thinking it's more likely that Demko is out for longer then expected then any kind of forethought by Jim and John.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Jimbo really is a meme. I got a supporter in my class who is still defending the Dipeitro situation, can't make this stuff up.
Don't go on Reddit then. Even CDC is starting to turn on Guds. Them? Elmer could take a big dump and they'd swear he could turn those lumps in diamonds.

As for this acquisition, can't complain about it as it serves a purpose and didn't cost us any picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad