Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Petrus Palmu (2017 6th round draft pick and 2018 Liiga rookie of the year)

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Seems like an AHL all-star in the making. Odds are seriously against him making a dent in the majors, but I would love to see it.

Reactions: clunk

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Seems like an AHL all-star in the making. Odds are seriously against him making a dent in the majors, but I would love to see it.

Well ya he's less than a year removed from being a 6th round pick after being passed over in 2 drafts and he's 5'6. Yet I think we can all agree this is the type of late round pick we should be making. He lit up junior hockey in his final year and is heavier than a lot of guys with half a foot on him. He's built like a tank and battles hard. Excited to see what he brings to NA pro hockey.

Reactions: Bronco Horvat

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I like his chances against all odds to make the NHL. He’s crazy skilled and one determined man.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Doesnt he have another year on his contract in Finland? If so,does he have an out clause or will he come over to NA after next season?
I’m hoping he can come over and play in Utica next season,could be an exciting Comets team next year.

givemeda411

Sep 7, 2007
Vancouver
So Utica looks like this so far

Motte Dahlin Lind
Gadjovich MacEwen Jasek
Carcone Laplante Palmu

Maybe Archibald & Gaunce

Juolevi Chatfield
Brisebois Sautner
McEneny

Maybe Brassard

Demko

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

Motte Dahlin Lind
Gadjovich MacEwen Jasek
Carcone Laplante Palmu

Maybe Archibald & Gaunce

Juolevi Chatfield
Brisebois Sautner
McEneny

Maybe Brassard

Demko

Don't think Gaunce and Juolevi are on the farm. Also think they find a way to have Demko with the Canucks, hopefully by capitalising on Nilsson's World Cup bump to get some more picks. And Dahlen is a winger, no?

Reactions: Lackhalak

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Well ya he's less than a year removed from being a 6th round pick after being passed over in 2 drafts and he's 5'6. Yet I think we can all agree this is the type of late round pick we should be making. He lit up junior hockey in his final year and is heavier than a lot of guys with half a foot on him. He's built like a tank and battles hard. Excited to see what he brings to NA pro hockey.
Absolutely. Good high risk high reward pick. I really want him to succeed, just trying to be realistic.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Doesnt he have another year on his contract in Finland? If so,does he have an out clause or will he come over to NA after next season?
I’m hoping he can come over and play in Utica next season,could be an exciting Comets team next year.

NHL has transfer agreements with most of the European leagues (KHL being one of the exceptions) that allows players to opt-out of contracts and sign with the NHL team that holds his rights. In return, the European club usually gets $$$ from the signing NHL club.

Lukas Jasek was also under contract with his Czech-league team when the Canucks signed him to his ELC.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
funny what happens when you choose skill in a draft over everything else

Carl Gunnarson being the one pick where they didn't stick their skill plan in 2017 and looks like a dud. Benning seemed very high on him in the Mic'd up "I think Gunnarssons gonna play"

Upon re-watching that Mic'd up clip it's really funny the way it's edited. McPhee and Benning talk about moving up one spot and giving up a pick (probably a VGK 2nd/3rd) to grab Glass, and really it's down to a game of secrecy about who the Canucks really want to pick, then the next clip has Benning saying Petersson's name out loud twice (first time stops himself at pet-) then points at him (twice) and nods his head towards him, next clip is McPhee coming over and saying no deal.

Reactions: Caspian

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Motte Dahlin Lind
Gadjovich MacEwen Jasek
Carcone Laplante Palmu

Maybe Archibald & Gaunce

Juolevi Chatfield
Brisebois Sautner
McEneny

Maybe Brassard

Demko

Dahlen is a LW, but either way would be a great addition to the Comets..
Motte should return to his AHL spot in the middle.
Laplante can go to the ZOO. He is worthless.
MacMaster will step in and be a top LW. he is already under contract to Utica.
MacEwen will still be a RW.

MacMaster X Jasek.
A real good line finishing up last season when playing with Chaput.

Dahlen X MacEwen

Carcone X Palmu
These two can be swapped out on either wing.

Gadjovich X Lind

Resigning Chaput looks like a no brainer as at the moment there are 0 centers signed that will be in the AHL unless Gaudette starts there.
It would also behoove the braintrust to re-sign Boucher.
They will probably extend Cassels for at least one more season. He is nothing better than a #3 center and more like a #4.

This is nowhere near the total list of Comets up front as the fate of Chaput and Boucher is yet to be determined. They are both RFAs. Benning has to make a decision on them as neither can go anywhere until the Canucks cut them loose. They won't be on the market long if that should happen.

There are no more Comets forwards from last season that should be brought back. D'Aoust is still a possibility, but was on an AHL contract and would most likely have to receive another one. I could go either way with him. He's not a big loss if he doesn't get signed.

The Comets need 3 centers even if Chaput is re-signed and 1 has to be a #1 and the other has to be either very strong defensively or have play making skills, preferably both. This would allow for Hamilton to be let go.

Boucher, Chaput, and the #1 center would be veterans by AHL rules.
Defensively Sautner, McEneny, Brisebois, and Chatfield need to have a #1 D-man and another very solid D-man to anchor the D-core. They didn't have a true #1 last season, Holm served as the PP QB, but was not a strong #1 defender and Wiercioch was big offensively, but also wasn't a real strong defender. They need 2 guys who can do the offensive things that these 2 did, but need to be much stronger defenders. Can't count on McEneny to be one of these guys after the major knee injury that cost him most of last season. He is going to need time to just get back to where he was. Brisebois and Chatfield need to bring their games up to the next level, but #1 and #2 is out of the question at this time.

There are no more defenders coming from the Canucks past draft pools. Thus, guys are going to have to be acquired from outside. These 2 new defenders would both be vets.

That's 5 vets.

If the Canucks bring up Demko, there is no goalie in line for the Comets this season. Bachman is a UFA. Garteig was on an AHL contract and couldn't even take the #1 spot in Kalamazoo. He can't even be considered as anything more than an emergency backup like the past 2 seasons.

Lots of work to do before a Comets roster can be considered filled.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->