Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Micheal Ferland to a 4-year, $3.5M AAV Deal

What do we think of the deal?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
17 of the top 30 goalies on the NHL are 30+..There are very few under 25.(most are late 20's/early 30's)...I would say goalies hit their peak around 30.

For a #1 goalie, Markstrom relatively doesn't have much mileage on him. For most of his career he's played in less than 40 games.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You're confused why the team with the worst winger group in the NHL last season went out and beefed up the wings? Given the direction and current structure of the team and farm system it's pretty obvious why Ferland was a target. Especially on a team so bereft of size, skill and top 6 wing options.

Don't believe it's been mentioned yet but almost all of his production was from primary points last season. Only 6 non primary points of the 40.

Yes its odd. This is not a contender team.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Seems I touched a nerve here and I should reiterate I'm not targetting you specifically, but the whole "anti-Benning" mentality is where I'm getting fed up.

I dont think anyone's nerves were touched simply because they disagree with your premise.

"Blind faith followers" is the exact kind of thing I, and I'm sure a majority of the posters here are sick of. Getting called that after saying "Ferland AAV isn't so bad" is toxic. I'm presuming you're using this as an over the top swing in the opposite direction as opposed to calling me, or others, that.

I've mostly read that Ferland contract is reasonable. The argument people have against him is that we already have similar middle 6ers on the roster and that the team isn't in a position to compete for the cup so why tie up cap space on complementary pieces when you could use those resources to make the team better longterm.

As for being irrationally optimistic, we have rays of sunshine after a long, crappy, stormy winter. Is the on ice product not better going into this year? Did we not go up in the standings, and us much as I hate to paraphrase Benning, were we not playing meaningful games in March? Do Myers, Miller, Benn and Ferland not make the team better then Hutton, Pouliot, Granlund and Gaunce? Did we not just dump Del Zotto, Nilsson, Gagner, and Gudbranson and are trying (according to the media) to dump Sutter and Eriksson? Does none of that merit any kind of optimism? We have improved and the rest of the division has stagnated or regressed, that's cause for some optimism. It can be that false spring we are used to getting in March these last few years, but is anyone complaining about that brief few days of good weather?

We have improved over last years team. We might even make the playoffs if all the stars allign. But the price was steep:
- Myers contract is bad today and will be horrible as it progresses.
- Miller trade was awful value

The Benn contract is like it was made by a different GM. Its AAV is very reasonable and the term ends just as we need more cap space to sign our next wave of kids.

Hearing a fresh take that Myers or Miller is going to bring the team down, solely by merit of a Benning acquisition, is wholly tiresome. That isn't criticism, that's hating. Arguing the subjective merits of trading a first, or signing a 5 year deal, is valid criticism. Wondering where all these new faces fit on the roster? Valid too.

Myers needs to be sheltered. You probably also want to shelter Hughes as a rookie. You also dont want Hughes having to cover up for Myers defensively.

That means we have two pairs that need sheltering.

And I'm not a Benning cheer leader, the guy needs to be jobless asap. Guys an idiot, but that doesn't mean everything he touches turns to garbage immediately.

As for my example, I have two brothers that verbatim put the rest of us through that on a long car trip. One farted non-stop, the other wouldn't stop whining and crying about it, making demands about someone needing to do something. My parents pulled over and spanked the cryer. He didn't make a peep after that, and the other brother stopped farting. I don't know about any moral or lesson to the story, but I can tell you which one my parents found more annoying.

Wer are all stuck in the car on this one.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
They who? I said nothing about Dzingel.

our cap situation is not good right now, it doesn't make the Ferland deal a bad deal. Benning next step is to free up room to sign Boeser. Is he seriously gonna walk away from a chance add Ferland at that price? like cmon if you hate banning bash him, this is not a bad signing at all. He can probably protect Boesers and Hughes.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
our cap situation is not good right now, it doesn't make the Ferland deal a bad deal. Benning next step is to free up room to sign Boeser. Is he seriously gonna walk away from a chance add Ferland at that price? like cmon if you hate banning bash him, this is not a bad signing at all. He can probably protect Boesers and Hughes.
Oh my God

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
We don't need to shelter Myers. He's got over 600 games under his belt. He skates fine and is 6'7.
He's generally seen as a number 4 guy.
He'll be fine.

Hughes, yes i do think you will need to shelter him.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
We don't need to shelter Myers. He's got over 600 games under his belt. He skates fine and is 6'7.
He's generally seen as a number 4 guy.
He'll be fine.

Hughes, yes i do think you will need to shelter him.
You should look up how the Jets used him the past 2 years

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Or how he has fared defensively pretty much his entire career.
TBH, since the notion was originally based on how he fairs with a successful team (which is what the other poster was suggesting the Canucks would be with him) in a specific role.
Using his career overall leaves open the chance someone comes in saying “But Buffalo sucked?” Which was mainly my point.
On a successful playoff (WCF) caliber team, he was used sparingly in the Top4 and averaged more along the lines of a #5 due to the fairly large difference in TOI overall between the Top3 defenceman and himself.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
TBH, since the notion was originally based on how he fairs with a successful team (which is what the other poster was suggesting the Canucks would be with him) in a specific role.
Using his career overall leaves open the chance someone comes in saying “But Buffalo sucked?” Which was mainly my point.
On a successful playoff (WCF) caliber team, he was used sparingly in the Top4 and averaged more along the lines of a #5 due to the fairly large difference in TOI overall between the Top3 defenceman and himself.

Wasnt Buffalo okay when he was drafted there?

I dont remember anymore. Either way, I get your point.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Don’t worry, the Canucks have this awesome career revitalization program. Look how we turn players like Sutter, Gubranson, Pouliot, Granlund and turn them from rough diamonds into the true gems they are.

Hey! Granlund was our 5th best goal scorer last season.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I dont think anyone's nerves were touched simply because they disagree with your premise.

I've mostly read that Ferland contract is reasonable. The argument people have against him is that we already have similar middle 6ers on the roster and that the team isn't in a position to compete for the cup so why tie up cap space on complementary pieces when you could use those resources to make the team better longterm.

We have improved over last years team. We might even make the playoffs if all the stars allign. But the price was steep:
- Myers contract is bad today and will be horrible as it progresses.
- Miller trade was awful value

The Benn contract is like it was made by a different GM. Its AAV is very reasonable and the term ends just as we need more cap space to sign our next wave of kids.

Myers needs to be sheltered. You probably also want to shelter Hughes as a rookie. You also dont want Hughes having to cover up for Myers defensively.

That means we have two pairs that need sheltering.

He'd mentioned he was on the cusp of ignoring me.

Ferland, even if he were a carbon copy of someone on our roster (I'm guessing Roussel is the similar player) having two grinding pests that can put up 30 (maybe 40 in Ferlands case) isn't a bad thing at all. If all of our bottom six were like these two we would be in much better shape. You mention using these resources to "make our team better long term". How? It's cap space and a roster spot. We don't have many players nearly ready to step in, nor are we short on cap space to sign anyone of value (if this Eriksson trade rumour is true).

A top six, physical, hard skating forward that can play all three positions isn't steep at a first and a third. You said yourself that we could be in a playoff spot this year. So a 16th+ overall pick is currency for pieces like Miller. We are just caught in this idea that it's going to be our pick winning the lottery somehow.

As for Myers, there are Jets fans that are upset he has left. He was being used as a shutdown D in Buffalo and Winnipeg, which is clearly not his forte. He is a more offensive D and that is one of the things the board has been screaming for on our back end for years. He's not a number one, but that doesn't mean he's not valuable enough to contribute. I don't see him being sheltered, but likely paired with Edler, who is more responsible defensively, but I can't fathom a Gudbranson/Pouliot situation, which is what it sounds like people are expecting. We all agree our D from last year needed to be improved, and it had, so is it that it didn't improve enough on paper? How do we improve it otherwise? Would we have felt better trading this year's first or Horvat for Barrie or Subban (likely Woo, Juolevi and matching picks)? I'm not saying it's a great cap hit or term, but it's not terrible and it seems this board is hoping he is a trainwreck (which I don't think he will) so they can continue to complain about management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->